Quantcast

Attn: Motorcycle Monkies

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
So I have a new commute that is no highway, not many stop signs, and lots of twisty, wooded roads. However, it is fairly long (~45min each way). I do not have my motorcycle license yet (working on it), but do have alot of experience riding dirtbikes. What do the masses recommend for a good beginner sportbike where money is not a factor? I'm 5'9", 155lbs, and in my late twenties. I'm thinking something light and low but I don't want a bike that I will outgrow in 2 years or kill me in the first 6 months... I've looked into both the supermoto and crossbike options (like the beamer) but I'm just not feelin it. Pretty sure I want a sportbike...

Any suggestions?

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
i am in a similar situation looking for my first bike, I was going to make a similar thread. I too have lots of past dirtbike experience, but we are not a similar size, I am 6'3" and 215. I have been reading lots of good reviews of the Suzuki SV650, its handling, ergonomics and motor seem to be user friendly but not boring. additionally they seem like quite a good value and pretty ubiquitous on the resale market. Also I would consider the Kawasaki Versys.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
If your sold on sport-ish bikes the sv650 is a good way to go. Versys is a good one too but IMHO it looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Couple pretty nice bikes in the 800cc-ish range now too. BMW and Triumph are both making what I think are pretty neat bikes but are $$$$$ when compared to the previously mentioned Jap bikes. YMMV of course. I love my F650GS but it's hardly a "sport" bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
KTM 530 EXC. forget that sport bike nonsense. :D

(my Versys is ok but certainly ugly as pointed out above.)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Any mainstream 600cc is fine. I prefer the R6 or GSXR-600. If you already know how to ride a motorcycle, it won't be anything earth shattering, other than being quite a bit faster. I started out on a GSXR-750 and was fine. Don't be an idiot and it will work out.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
Another vote for the SV650. Bought a used one with 22k on the clock in 2010 and its still running strong with 31k+. Get a Naked SV though, I personally despise the looks of the S version.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SV650 is a good call if you're set on a sport bike. But with your dirt bike experience I'm surprised you're not feeling the supermoto thing. I picked up a DRZ SM for my first bike and immediately felt comfortable throwing it around in the twisties. It's basically a big DH bike with a throttle. Dirt bike turning technique translates way better to a supermoto, the upright riding position is more comfortable if you won't be spending a lot of time on the freeway, and you can see better because you sit a little higher (this really helps for passing). Just sayin'. Regardless, have fun twisting the throttle! BRAAAAPPPPP!!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
SV650. The S version is sportbike-ish, but the standards are just that. Standard. Riding position isn't quite that of a dirtbike but it's close.

I can't think of a better first streetbike than a standard. Sportbike power is something to be respected, but IMHO, sportbike riding positioning can be more detrimental to the beginner.

I agree that a supermoto felt right first time I sat on it, but if you don't want a dirt-bikish bike, there you go.

Maybe the small Ducati Hypermoto if you have the cash or an older Monster for cheaper? But then you're dealing with something possibly more troublesome than a bulletproof SV.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/range/touring/sprint

Youe welcome. This is probably one of the better beginer bikes out there. Let me start off why I would never put a beginner on a 600 ish sport bike, they only want to go fast. The motor is smaller and has a def power band to it, and usually comes on strong. Next let me say why I wouldnt put you on a straight lets say R1 for example... 1000 cc bike, lots of power, short half turn throttle equals aggressive throttle responce.

Best way to go is a sport touring. get something 1000 to 1300 cc's, its will be a 3/4 turn throttle so it wont be super whispey on the throttle. It will have enough low end torque you can just put when needed, enough overall power to haul ass when you want, and the setup fits what your asking for much better than a straight up sport bike. You will e sitting up more in a much more comfy position for commuting, and the sprint like I listed comes with hard bags to carry what you need for work.

There is of course more than the triumph, its just the first one that came to mind, overall is was a sport touring suggestion than anything else.. You can go Kawi, Honda, Yamaha, and a **** tone fo others out there

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/range/touring/sprint

Youe welcome. This is probably one of the better beginer bikes out there. Let me start off why I would never put a beginner on a 600 ish sport bike, they only want to go fast. The motor is smaller and has a def power band to it, and usually comes on strong. Next let me say why I wouldnt put you on a straight lets say R1 for example... 1000 cc bike, lots of power, short half turn throttle equals aggressive throttle responce.

Best way to go is a sport touring. get something 1000 to 1300 cc's, its will be a 3/4 turn throttle so it wont be super whispey on the throttle. It will have enough low end torque you can just put when needed, enough overall power to haul ass when you want, and the setup fits what your asking for much better than a straight up sport bike. You will e sitting up more in a much more comfy position for commuting, and the sprint like I listed comes with hard bags to carry what you need for work.

There is of course more than the triumph, its just the first one that came to mind, overall is was a sport touring suggestion than anything else.. You can go Kawi, Honda, Yamaha, and a **** tone fo others out there
If you're going to go there, I'd say old FZ1. Cheap, likely still bulletproof. Or an old Bandit.

Edit: GFF's right, though. More important to choose from what's available locally than fantasize in a limitless world.

Edit: Oh, wait, money's not a factor?? Still, I'd get a used bike. But that's just me.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
If you're going to go there, I'd say old FZ1. Cheap, likely still bulletproof. Or an old Bandit.

Edit: GFF's right, though. More important to choose from what's available locally than fantasize in a limitless world.
That would be why the triumph came to mind. Cost is doable, and they are actually easy to find.

In fact my next bike is going to end up being the Triumph rocket 3 touring........ Let me list it up, its baddass.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/range/cruisers/rocket/2011/rocket-III

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
thanks for the suggestion.... but that bike is HUGE! I'm looking for something as light/nimble as possible I would think...
fuel economy sucks... and while i can appreciate a nice bike, to me that is ugly...
What do you expect for something with a 2300 CC motor? and actually for that much power and that large of a motor it is still very respectable.... def a freeway cruiser though, not an around town bike

Its not as big as you think, and like most everyone before you either love the look, or hate the look for most triumphs.

Like I said though its just the first one that came to mind. Most of your sport style bikes are going to be a bit tall at the seat, maybe something to consider. If your truly worried about standover than something like what I already have would suit better...

I know its not a sport bike, but its nice for the commute, and nice low seat

http://powersports.honda.com/2011/shadow-aero.aspx

Last edited:

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
I'm really interested in getting a motorcycle license too. The KTM Duke 690 has really caught my eye. What do you guys think of it?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Moto license is easy to get, Start off with readin the entire handbook a time or two from your local DMV You can DL it a PDF, go down and take the written test and get your permit, go take the Moto safety beginner course and turn in your paper work.

Even as a rider that had MANY MANY miles under my belt I still found the bgeinner course to be fun and informative. Very usefull and important class to take even if you have been riding for years. Also most insurance companies will give a discount for taking the class.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
There are a ton of R6s in my neck of the woods... for cheap too... thoughts?
It's not a bike especially well suited to a new rider (dirtbike experience or not), but that certainly hasn't stopped people in the past :)

And I'd check out insurance rates before buying.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
Moto license is easy to get, Start off with readin the entire handbook a time or two from your local DMV You can DL it a PDF, go down and take the written test and get your permit, go take the Moto safety beginner course and turn in your paper work.

Even as a rider that had MANY MANY miles under my belt I still found the bgeinner course to be fun and informative. Very usefull and important class to take even if you have been riding for years. Also most insurance companies will give a discount for taking the class.
QFTT. The 2-day beginner rider course was the best thing I ever did. The first week after I got my license I utilized the quick counter steer techniques I learned in the class, avoiding some idiot pulling out from a side street.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
It's not a bike especially well suited to a new rider (dirtbike experience or not), but that certainly hasn't stopped people in the past :)

And I'd check out insurance rates before buying.
Absolutly agreed. an R6 sure is a fun bike, but there is a reason there are alot for sale. Its a fast bike, it only wants to go fast. Really bad for a beginner bike. A note on the insurance, as a beginner rider <nothing prior to having a license counts> Your insurance is going to suck for the first year minimum for a full on sport bike like the R6 or R1. While if you go for the sport touring<another reason I suggested it> the insurance will be alot less and its going to be easier to ride.

The R6 puts you into a very aggressive stance and your upper body gets tired when riding more than a half an hour or so.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Rockets suck at anything other then Fast, Fun bikes Supermoto, sadly, Cops don't like hooliganism.

I ride a 990 SMR fun bike, fast but doesn't need to go fast to be fun, but probably way out of your price range.

SV is a good standard starter bike, good riders can make fools of people with much bigger bikes day in and day out.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm really interested in getting a motorcycle license too. The KTM Duke 690 has really caught my eye. What do you guys think of it?
Really cool bike. Probably well-suited to a mountain biker in terms of riding position and other ergos; designed for the urban environment or twisty backroads but probably not the best long-distance or extended freeway riding choice. Expensive new for what you're getting IMHO, too, but older Dukes seem pretty cheap on Cycletrader, etc. when and if you can find one in your locale.

Never ridden one, but they have a good rep as fun rides.

They just started selling a Duke 200 here in India. If it had been on the market when I arrived, I might have succumbed to its temptation rather than the Royal Enfield I got. (Mind you, a hot 200 engine is blisteringly fast compared to 99% of the traffic here--most bikes are around 130ccs and intended to maximize your mileage.)

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
a bit older and i dunno if even sold in the US, but a good base for eventual chopping / tuning etc ... with a steel tube frame a la Ducati.

or chopped

edit: i just saw, that it wasn't sold in the US.... a shame, as it is a good bike...

Last edited:

crombie1

Chimp
Aug 16, 2009
Ontario NY
The Sv is a great bike. I rode a drz for a while and it is a fun bike. Its light and if needed can handle highway riding. Plus 60+ MPG isn't to bad either. And its good for wheelies. If you want something more like a road bike, there is always the honda hornet. Its a detuned 600 bike. Like the standard sv650.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The R6 is more than fine for a beginner bike and it's easy to find one. Don't buy something you don't want just because you think it's a good 'beginner' bike. You could easily learn to ride an R1 if you aren't an idiot. Just realize the power starts to come on around 7K. Yes, they are fast....but I'm pretty sure you already know that. Even a liter+ bike isn't hard to learn to ride and since you already know how to ride a motorcycle, there won't be many surprises. I would venture to say you have far more chance of falling over in a parking lot or getting creamed by someone rather than wrecking just because you have a 'fast' bike.

I agree with you in having zero interest in the cruisers. They just don't appeal to me. If you like naked bikes, there's also the Triumph street/speed triple.

If you are in your late 20s, insurance shouldn't be too bad. Also, I don't know how it is where you live, but here in Cali, you can take the Highway Patrol class and get your license at the end. It also gives you a discount on insurance.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
The R6 is more than fine for a beginner bike and it's easy to find one. Don't buy something you don't want just because you think it's a good 'beginner' bike. You could easily learn to ride an R1 if you aren't an idiot. Just realize the power starts to come on around 7K. Yes, they are fast....but I'm pretty sure you already know that. Even a liter+ bike isn't hard to learn to ride and since you already know how to ride a motorcycle, there won't be many surprises. I would venture to say you have far more chance of falling over in a parking lot or getting creamed by someone rather than wrecking just because you have a 'fast' bike.

I agree with you in having zero interest in the cruisers. They just don't appeal to me. If you like naked bikes, there's also the Triumph street/speed triple.

If you are in your late 20s, insurance shouldn't be too bad. Also, I don't know how it is where you live, but here in Cali, you can take the Highway Patrol class and get your license at the end. It also gives you a discount on insurance.
I would actually go with a 1000 cc bike for a beginner over a 600cc bike. The 1000cc bike is more controllable and the power doesnt come on as sudden.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I would actually go with a 1000 cc bike for a beginner over a 600cc bike. The 1000cc bike is more controllable and the power doesnt come on as sudden.

My Aprillia Tuono sez your wrong........ 5-7k range is hang on for dear life range.
Lost count of the accidental wheelies I've pulled on that thing.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
IMAG0205.jpgIMAG0206.jpg

as my project bike won't be finished this year, i got myself a bike for commuting and general riding for rest of this year. yamaha xjr 1200, powerful, easy to ride, cheap. like it...
i'll keep it like it is, incl. the ultra ugly headlamp mask and the topcase holder.... i have enough work with the sr, so this one will only get fresh oil and fresh filters...

Last edited: