Quantcast

At last...my greatest creation is now complete...

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
[spoiler:\\ this is just another show off case ;)]

Well...it all started last autumn when I bought an used 2006 Sunday Elite frame (I've been bitten by the "Sunday bug" after reading the forum). It was all scratched up, so I decided to sandblast it; after that I powdercoated it in white.
Next thing I ordered the bearings kit form IH (great guys btw). So, I replaced all the bearings (max E on the lower link) and the red lower "dw" link. Then realised I had play in the bushings...so...ordered the "heavy duty bushings kit" from TFtuned. The DHX 5 was freshly rebuilt (so said the previous owner), so I decided not to operate it.
After having the frame in a "close as new" state, I began searching for the perfect parts for it. Had to deal with several shops and several guys, from all over the world (from Hong Kong to San Jose and from Sidney to Uk), but finally managed to get what I wanted (and @ a decent price ;) ). Here's the current spec:

Frame: Iron Horse Sunday Elite '06 - medium - with upgraded Max E bearings;
Rear shock: FOX DHX 5.0 with TFT Heavy duty bushings;
Headset: FSA Orbit 1.5R
Fork: RockShox Boxxer World Cup '07 w/ flat crown
Stem: Sunline Direct Mount
Bar: Sunline V One OS
Grips: Sunline Logo lock on - Thin in white
Brakes: Avid Code '07 w/ 203 mm rotors (F+R)
Shifter & Der : Sram X9 + X9(Med cage)
Cranks / BB: Truvativ Holzfeller 170mm + Truvativ team 83mm BB
Ring: Truvativ 36T (will be replaced the next days with e.13 38T)
Chainguide: e.13 LG1 (with a taco made out of an old truvativ bash)
Pedals: Wellgo MG 1 in white
Post & saddle: SDG I Beam + Bel Air ST
Chain & cassette: SRAM PC 951 & PG 970
Front wheel: Hope Pro II + DT Champ spokes + Mavic 729
Rear wheel : Hadley + DT Alpine III Spokes + Mavic 729
Tires: Maxxis Wetscreams in 2.5 (supertacky) for the wet and Maxxis Minions 2.5 (slow reezay) for the dry. I'm using Maxxis ultralight tubes.

What do you think? Where can i loose some weight? (i'm a lazy one...:)

I'd like to thank all the great guys here on the forum for the precious info they provided and also for helping me out with the build up (had bought some parts from the monkeys).

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Looking good. Building up your own bike is so much better than buying off-the-shelf.

Look at getting a ti spring to shave weight, otherwise you already have everything, why spend more when it's not necessary...

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Looks good, you could save a good bit of weight with lighter rims, but if you just bought and built them up, you probably won't want to swap them out.

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
yeah...i read about the 721s after I bought the 729s...
lighter rims also means weaker, softer rims (i have in mind the DT 5.1). I wanted some wheels that will last some time (i'm not a hucker or so)

As a future upgrade I have a Ti spring in mind and the Gravity Light/MegaExo cranks & bottom bracket.
Also I'll be looking at a SDG I Fly saddle. They also say that the new codes are some 50g lighter...
But those are just in the "dream of" phase, as i've already went over my budget.

What do you think about going "full air" ? is it worthed?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Thats it? I'm disappointed....I thought it was going to be another gear box bike! :p Nice lookin rig, if you lose a race its not for a lack of bike

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
looks great...you can loose some weight in the rims, cranks, brakes levers and swap the steel dhx spring for a ti spring (or run a dhx air like udi's sunday)...otherwise it looks killer. what does is weigh right now?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
ditto... I was expecting something crazy interesting like that dual shock setup from NZ, not another Sunday. Nice though.

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
some more pics

after the first ride:

me doin' the Napoleon :)

my improvised mud guard:

ArthurGreen

Chimp
Jan 23, 2008
Poland
I congratulate, looks great!! Almost as IH-Honda team bike ;) Now I build sunday WC 07 too. When I will complete, I will place photos also..