Quantcast

are there any spd's that are protectective?

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
I've been looking to take the plunge to spd's and am looking for sneakers,boots,shoes that offer the most " toe "protection I can find.
There are police boots that clip in I found on ebay that are my second choice now,I couldn't find avalanches anywhere in sz 12.thanks.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
intensified said:
I've been looking to take the plunge to spd's and am looking for sneakers,boots,shoes that offer the most " toe "protection I can find.
There are police boots that clip in I found on ebay that are my second choice now,I couldn't find avalanches anywhere in sz 12.thanks.
Too bad your not a size 9

I've ran the Sidi Winter Storm's for years but bought these to try something new, they are however just a little big. Not many SPD's offer great "toe" protection, if you don't hit the hard sole first most shoes are just leather from there on up and it's gonna hurt. They do offer great ankle protection and support though.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
How about Carnac? The toe box on those are burly, bordering on TOGNAR.

Specialized Sawtooth shoes is cool too.

I'm using some Nikes with a pretty hard nose, I'm thinking of getting the Fox Ankle protecters to go with em.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
The Adidas Hematomas are the shoes to have. I've seen a lot of 3/4 top mtb spd shoes and none of them come close. They don't have the protection and and only last about 1/2 a season of hard riding at most. My Hematomas have about 100 days of DHing on them and they are still in perfect working order. They don't look so new anymore, but they soles are still completely intact, the uppers have no tares or cuts and are still complete bonded to the lowers, and the closure system still holds my foot like new.

In all honesty I can't say enough good things about this shoe for FRing or DHing. I actually use mine on XC days too.