Quantcast

Apple Rips-off The Postal Service

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
One of Apple's key strength, marketing, isn't even original anymore :blah: First there was the Lugz/Apple iPod Eminem ads and now this.

Side-by-side comparison of the videos

Original Postal Service Video

Apple's rip-off

Engadget said:
For those of you who haven't been following the underground drama surrounding Apple's latest commercial, here's what you need to know: first, the ad bears an absolutely uncanny resemblance to band The Postal Service's music video for "Such Great Heights." Second, the both videos were produced by the same duo, Josh Melnick and Xander Charity (aka "Josh & Xander"). But it looks like the final piece to the puzzle's in; Apple's commercial, which "sets free" the Intel chip for its new life in a Mac, was in fact a surreptitious replication of the "Such Great Heights" video -- at least according to The Postal Service and their label, Sub Pop. Here's what band frontman Ben Gibbard had to say:

It has recently come to our attention that Apple Computers' new television commercial for the Intel chip features a shot-for-shot recreation of our video for 'Such Great Heights' made by the same filmmakers responsible for the original. We did not approve this commercialization and are extremely disappointed with both parties that this was executed without our consultation or consent.

Was it an illegal move on Josh & Xander's (or Apple's) part to produce this ad? Depends on who ultimately owns the copyright to the original (probably SubPop), but either way it's pretty poor form. Seems like if Apple wants to avoid further criticism and the possibility of litigation -- and snag a little indie cred while they're at it -- they'll pull their ad and make things right. Likelihood of that happening? Slim -- unless they get a call from SubPop's lawyers, anyway.
Think Different, Think Again!

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
ha Thats the first thing I thought when I saw the Intple commercial.

I like the video better. And you would NEVER see hands touching a processor wafer..........Your Fired

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
The commercial may not be original but the computers are. And Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery (I think thats how it goes?).

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i had never seen that postal service video before just now. i had never heard of postal service before just now.

"and snag a little indie cred while they're at it" - don't indie's already use iPods?