Quantcast

Anyone want to ride some REAL trails?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
The Shenandoah Mountain Bike Club has teamed up with IMBA in Harrisonburg and brought real trails back on the scene, with a large group of riders that is about bettering their personal riding skills and having fun, not dumbing down the trails because the people that are in charge of building them can't ride anything narrower than 5' double track. There is a a network of single track trails all over Harrisonburg, up into the mountains and the George Washington National forest, and the Harrisonburg based trails are going to have a city sponsored unveiling in April.

Anyone interested in riding some real singletrack, and actual mountain bike trails in a place that embraces riding?

I plan on riding up there a lot this summer, anyone want to plan a trip?

Those not interested in singletrack or trails that involve technical areas and some features, and all dirt roadies need not apply.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's the whole idea
Cool. I need to check our their new stuff. FYI for those coming from Richmond it is probably just as easy to get to Sherando. I love that place, not 100% singletrack but it is in all the important spots.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Where are these trails in relation to Massenutten? I will be staying there the week before the race and would like to ride some nice tech trail.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Are you able to share info about where the trail/s are? Any pictures or links to where I can find more info? If you would prefer to keep it quiet, can I get info via PM?

Thanks

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
No ,no. No trouble here. Come by SBC, the bike shop downtown and we have trail maps. Do not bring a gravity sled unless you want to hike with that pig for numerous hours and then be too done to ride the ridges and the descents. The western side of the NUT can only be accessed with a pass that you can get from doing trail work at the NUT. So,if you want to ride the western side find a local to take you out who has a pass. Don't try riding without one. They will fine, take your car etc. It is private property and it is a privilege to ride there. They are checking passes(they have a guy that roams around all day looking for people on bikes and asking for passes). Hope this helps. Again, no trouble here.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i was just f'n with ya. :imstupid:

if i had a trail bike i'd be all over that sounds like a blast. i just have the pig and the stp.

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
That's cool. I'm waiting on my new bike and all I got is the BEATSTICK and my bmx. I rode the BEATSTICK in the forest the other day with only a rear brake. What a blast. Come down with the STP and we will ride Mud Pond. We would have to hike up but the hike is not bad at all. I don't know if that trail will be in as good a shape as Homo but then I've never ridden Homo(not sure if I want too).

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
Are you sure you don't still want that beautiful RM7...It's so pretty :biggrin:, I'll give it to you CHEAP!!! PM me.
BTW, how are the trails near Reddish looking, Wolf's Ridge, Trimble, and Flagpole???
ciao

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
No ,no. No trouble here. Come by SBC, the bike shop downtown and we have trail maps. Do not bring a gravity sled unless you want to hike with that pig for numerous hours and then be too done to ride the ridges and the descents. The western side of the NUT can only be accessed with a pass that you can get from doing trail work at the NUT.
Are you talking about the same trail system or two seperate trails?

I will have an Enduro SX the trail riding. Bought a trail pass last year to ride the trails on the western side at Mass., lots of fun.

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
Same stuff, but always a new trail or 2. You bought a pass when you came up and stayed at the resort? You can't just buy passes if you are coming thru town and want to ride. You can get one if you stay at The Nut. Never heard of just buying one. All the passes stay at our shop and are released to us by Massanutten. SX trail is ALL the bike you need for anything around here including Snow Shoe.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Same stuff, but always a new trail or 2. You bought a pass when you came up and stayed at the resort? You can't just buy passes if you are coming thru town and want to ride. You can get one if you stay at The Nut. Never heard of just buying one. All the passes stay at our shop and are released to us by Massanutten. SX trail is ALL the bike you need for anything around here including Snow Shoe.

I stayed at the resort last year and got the pass. Going to be staying there again the week before the race. I have an Enduro SX (4x frame), not the SX Trail. I will have it along with my DH bike.

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
4x is just as good. have to get together for a ride the week before. stay in touch. I live 10 minutes from the hill. part of one of the new trails may be ridable by then. if not, upper ravine trail is sweet. lots of berms and mad flow.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
have to get together for a ride the week before. stay in touch. I live 10 minutes from the hill. part of one of the new trails may be ridable by then. if not, upper ravine trail is sweet. lots of berms and mad flow.

Will do. Is upper ravine trail start off the gravel road starting towards the top , not far from the gate? If so, I rode it last year and it was GOOD!!!!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
SX trail is ALL the bike you need for anything around here including Snow Shoe.
umm....growing up in Staunton, i can affirm that you wouldn't need anything more than an SX Trail to ride 90% of the trails in this part of Virginia, but Snowshoe defintely doesn't belong in that group. sure, you CAN ride an SX at the 'Shoe, mostly on the basin side, and possibly on the western side, but it won't be the best ride. much more fun with a DH rig. just saying.

i'd like to come ride Reddish Knob again its been years since i got up there. Douthat and the surrounding areas have kept me plenty entertained though, so i'm not complaining :biggrin: