Quantcast

Anyone Skiing next weekend?

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
gonna be there on the 24th for a one day trip.
leaving newport news midnight arrive at 9, board till 5 then head home.
$99 for transport/lift ticket.
i'll be in a yellow/grey jacket/black gyro full face helmet/black pants with
big mike
you gonna make to bikers house tomorrow?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Wintergreen is not open, they are not even making snow yet.

Ridetoofast, yeah, I'll be there tomorrow. We should hook up on the 24th. We'll be up there Fri/Sat/Sun

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
WG should be open by Turkey Weekend. They should start blowing the next couple of nights, although the temps have been right to blow the last three nights.

I'll be skipping the 'shoe for opening weekend and headed up there the following Thursday instead. I hate riding at Snowshoe on the weekends. Too damn crowded and expensive.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
WG should be open by Turkey Weekend. They should start blowing the next couple of nights, although the temps have been right to blow the last three nights.

I'll be skipping the 'shoe for opening weekend and headed up there the following Thursday instead. I hate riding at Snowshoe on the weekends. Too damn crowded and expensive.
Dude at the ski shop says otherwise.......

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Not sure I follow you. That is acutally "hopeful" news for the area. But yeah, you never really know. The temps have been well below freezing every night in the valley (I live 5 minutes from the entrance at the mountain). All it takes is about 3 days of blowing with the York system to have the place open. If they do open, I'll likely be up there some on T-Weekend during the slower hours and Sunday afternoon once the place starts to clear out. I wouldn't be going if I didn't live so close and have a season pass though. Not worth the travel and duckets otherwise imho.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
On exactly which night we expect to start making snow is up in the air, however, we expect that it is going to happen soon.
Thats what I was talking about. Hey, the more places open, the better! I didn't realize it only took them 3 days to open the place. thats impressive!

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
It sucks Wintergreen isn't open for skiing yet. I am going up there with the family of Thanksgiving weekend. Should be fun none the less.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Just to put everyone at ease, this is par for the course for WG. They have had many seasons, including last year where they only started blowing a couple of days or so before T-Day. Drought shouldn't effect them from what I understand. Their water supply resevoir was looking pretty good a week or so ago.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Gah i really wanna make it to snowshoe this weekend I am itching to board. I'll have to wait till i have money/time for a weekend.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Not this weekend but my wife bought me a season pass for Xmas so I guess I'll be going quite a bit this winter. We ought to do a monkey weekend up there if things look good in Jan or Feb.

Ralph,

The Captain reminded me today that you need to have your binding release set on those skis for your size and ability. This has to be done by a shop, which I recommend the Ski Center in Midlothian Village. You should get them tuned and waxed while they're at it. I think they will need one of your boots too to test the release.

If you want to pick up some wax there get a pack of Swix F4.

Mike

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Cool. And now, I have to "Hair of the Dog", as I have had FAR to much to drink yesterday, last night etc...

:D

Yeah. You maintain real well over the phone. I had no idea you were that hammered until I saw you in person. Good call on the DD. You did say Roderick was 18 didn't you? :biggrin:

I hope SS was good for y'all this week/weekend. When you get back give a full report. I just got back from Vermont - we got 6 inches of snow one morning. Got to ride Okemo and Killington - looks like they are going to have a good winter up there - just hope it finds it's way south this year.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
I hope SS was good for y'all this week/weekend. When you get back give a full report. I just got back from Vermont - we got 6 inches of snow one morning. Got to ride Okemo and Killington - looks like they are going to have a good winter up there - just hope it finds it's way south this year.
I'm still at SS right now, hanging out in the room after a full day of riding. It's cold as balls here, it was about 20-25 degrees all day not counting wind chill. It also snowed about an inch during the day so everything had a coat of white. They had the snow making going all last night and all day today and snow making is still going on. That made the skiing rough being blinded by blowing snow, and it just stings your face and man it was so cold. They had a couple of runs you could go down the basin side; One beginner and one intermediate. They also have the bunny slope open. Actually great conditions for November. I just wish it would warm up into the mid 30s so that they would turn off the snow blowers while I'm skiing.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Not this weekend but my wife bought me a season pass for Xmas so I guess I'll be going quite a bit this winter. We ought to do a monkey weekend up there if things look good in Jan or Feb.

Well, I just got a season pass, and bought my soon to be wife one as well for.... well... I'll do anything to keep her around!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I've got to throw it out when I see a chance. Actually I've got more rentals off ridemonkey than I have off the Homeaway site. Sorry for the spam.
Dude, I don't care! I was just hammering your balls.

Where is your place? Which building? I've got a line on a few places up here, but if those lines run out, maybe i'll hit it up for a weekend...

Must be nice being right there at the slopes. I can't STAND the village in the winter time, too damn crowded, but not having to catch the shuttle or walk would be cool :)

I've stayed a few places around the mountain, but the shuttle took a detour today down Westridge road, and I would love to move into one of those places full time!

I bet they are a billionty dollars though :( no bueno a billionty dollars!

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Dude, I don't care! I was just hammering your balls.

Where is your place? Which building? I've got a line on a few places up here, but if those lines run out, maybe i'll hit it up for a weekend...
Mine is Expedition Station 320. It is right next to the Skidder Slope. Here is a pic highlighting my room.