Quantcast

Anyone running $178 chinese carbon rims for DH yet? light-bicycle.com

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
A Downtube guard is merely there for preventing cosmetic damage. Making it out of carbon underlines it's cosmetic nature even more. The strength of a rim especially out of carbon is crucial for your health. Get it?

just look at the marzocchi 380 thread, over 120 posts and ppl are talking the old 888 fork...
Makes sense. If I would be in the market for that fork I would be glad to know that the standard ti-spring won't fit for people over 160lbs while they are hard to get/expensive.

mann

Chimp
Nov 12, 2006
I ran them on my DH bike and raced them at the Victorian Series in April this year.
Cracked the rear rim when it landed hard on a rock.However I kept using the same wheels throughout the race and the held up quite fine.
Got back to Singapore and I contacted the manufacturer and they were quick to warranty the cracked rims after I emailed them photos of the damage done.
Have rebuilt the new rim on my Hadley hub and held up well till now.
I bought a spare rim just in case but ended up building it up on my Chris King singlespeed hub that I used on as my DJ/street setup.
FYI i do short DH runs on my hardtail and it has held up well too!
Getting a few more with the new profile.........looks like the ENVEs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
about to pull the trigger on these in the 460g layup...

http://www.light-bicycle.com/New-26er-33mm-wide-enduro-MTB-all-mountain-downhill-carbon-rim-tubeless-compatible.html#.UpyzSsSThyQ

will be running them for "enduro" on my giant reign x...

I ride allot and im pretty hard on wheels..guess ill keep my fingers crossed they hold up..will give an update in a few months after I log some vertical with them...
bookmarked for future use...

post up once you receive them. do you anticipate any customs issues?

Juddos

Chimp
Feb 13, 2010
Which weave are you guys choosing, and which is stronger?

I imagine UD is the way to go...

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
bookmarked for future use...

post up once you receive them. do you anticipate any customs issues?
i dont think so..

they are going on some dt swiss 1750 hubs with double butted spokes and brass nipples...

i got the dh layup and UD matte finish....

for reference all the trails i ride are dh bike worthy so it should be a good test..i do run relatively high pressures (32psi front 35-40psi rear) with singleply tires...

i haven't flat spotted a wheel in awhile but i have been S bending both front and rear...wanted to try something new..didnt want to lace up another wheel that i know im going to kill in a week..

for the price and the fact they will warranty them i figured you cant go wrong..

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
My Light-Bicycle's are getting laced laced today..

Got the wide profile DH layup for my all mnt bike...450grams.. They are getting laced with with double butted spokes and brass nipples..

Im a little leery of them being super wide and deep..they remind me of the old arrow dh rims i ran circa 2001..also wonder what a 2.35 maxxis will look like on that huge rim

they look pretty good..I kill wheels regularly and ride some super rocky stuff so it will be interesting to see if they hold up..

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My Light-Bicycle's are getting laced laced today..

Got the wide profile DH layup for my all mnt bike...450grams.. They are getting laced with with double butted spokes and brass nipples..

Im a little leery of them being super wide and deep..they remind me of the old arrow dh rims i ran circa 2001..also wonder what a 2.35 maxxis will look like on that huge rim

they look pretty good..I kill wheels regularly and ride some super rocky stuff so it will be interesting to see if they hold up..
i had a set of those arrows.... indestructible, but dear lord were they heavy

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Well, i talked to the custo service guy about 6-8 months ago and had no idea that they didnt serve people in the US because of 'Increased Liability' and the US being a 'sue-happy' country compared to europe.. I told him to make me a release of reliability and id gladly sign it, he still didnt take my money.

Other than that, ive heard various good and bad things about superstar.. i think it really depends on what youre after.. i really wanted to try out their floating rotors, but i was told they rub a lot and the quality of them is nowhere near hopes.

edit:
if your not in the US, and plan on buying something from them, i would google that specific part and see if anyone else has had any luck..

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Without being grimey, without any way for a split inner wall, by single 'chamber' the reference was to mistaking no double-wall in the rim - yeah?
"Single chamber" means "simple double wall" for me. You may have more complex design, like i.e. WTB i* Frequency. Which seem to be more rigid IMO

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Syntace manufactures using a proprietary aluminum, and submit some durability tests much like what German Auto does.
The rims remind me of a great Araya BMX rim - Araya 7L. Very light rim and still strong because ribbing was employed instead of a simple top and sides to the rim.

SCARY

Not long enough
Used to have those.
i can't wait to see an Araya type rim that has a healing rim wall that returns to its original shape and is as light as carbon.Some type of super plastic that won't let you pinch flat or destroy a rim.

Then i could ride like i was meant to,with total disregard to line choice, skill, fitness or finesse......ok , I do that already, but I could do it alot better with rims like this

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Used to have those.
i can't wait to see an Araya type rim that has a healing rim wall that returns to its original shape and is as light as carbon.Some type of super plastic that won't let you pinch flat or destroy a rim.

Then i could ride like i was meant to,with total disregard to line choice, skill, fitness or finesse......ok , I do that already, but I could do it alot better with rims like this
With tires like these:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Syntace manufactures using a proprietary aluminum, and submit some durability tests much like what German Auto does.
The rims remind me of a great Araya BMX rim - Araya 7L. Very light rim and still strong because ribbing was employed instead of a simple top and sides to the rim.
Do you mean this rim? On the left, in the middle
http://www.araya-kk.co.jp/rim/image/archive/1984/8407-8408.jpg
It doesn't have much to with Syntace MX, maybe except the fact, it's round ;)
Using proprietary alloy doesn't necessarily mean the rim will be very good, light, stiff and durable.
I haven't seen any unbiased reviews of MX rims/wheels, so far. Except mixed opinions in German Bike Magazine or maybe Freeride?

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
I reserve blame on this tubeless craze.

Do you mean this rim? On the left, in the middle
http://www.araya-kk.co.jp/rim/image/archive/1984/8407-8408.jpg
It doesn't have much to with Syntace MX, maybe except the fact, it's round ;)
Using proprietary alloy doesn't necessarily mean the rim will be very good, light, stiff and durable.
I haven't seen any unbiased reviews of MX rims/wheels, so far. Except mixed opinions in German Bike Magazine or maybe Freeride?
Sorta it does, having extra radius from the machined lip. Regardless -- I don't own a set, do you? Unless ENVE floated some rims my way with promise for replacements, I'd never consider 'going carbon', so these Syntace rims still have looks to them.

SCARY

Not long enough
Used to have those.

You know what , I'm stupid.I was thinking about the Z rim.I can remember who made it , but it was cool.And plastic.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
You know what , I'm stupid.I was thinking about the Z rim.I can remember who made it , but it was cool.And plastic. Heavy too
Did you mention heavy? wait... no.. ahh yes you did right there at the end part. Heavy rims. One local racer gave away a set after one moto, kid gave them back after, then they were given away again.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
So I've put some time on the 33mm wide "DH" layup on my trailbike which gets ridden like a dh bike on dh trails..set em up tubeless with Stan's tape and sealant..

They came in at less than 450gs...about 50g lighter than what they replaced...first thing I can say is they are super stiff...they track super strait and feel very solid in the rocks but that does come at the expense of some ride comfort...you definitely feel it..

The other VERY notable difference is the increased width...the difference in sidewall support is huge..I'm running 7-8psi less than I was on a DT Swiss EX1750 wheelset and I'm no longer airing up for long pavement climbs...the downside to this is that I prefer to run light singleply tires with higher psi to prevent sidewall punctures but I cant get away with running 32-35psi in the rear anymore...I tore a sidewall the other day and I hadnt had that happen since switching to tubeless...If I end up having to go to heavier tires (running 700g +/- right now) Ill end up canceling out the weight I lost with the rims...going to have to see if I can get my pressures dialed in...

Also the lighter weight is nice on the climbs and accelerating out of turns but I find myself not carrying the same momentum I used to on flatter sections of trail inbetween turns where I'm unable to get a pedal stroke in.... granted that is going to be the case anytime you drop weight on a wheelset..

Overall I'm happy with them...I've ridden them hard and they are still solid..Obviously they are scratched up from riding rocks but thats expected..I dont think I would get the lighter version even for a trailbike as I think there is a point where they would almost be too light...would be nice on an xc bike though..

The quality is pretty good..the finish is great and layup looks good on the rim bed where is wasnt finished as well...I think for the $ you cant go wrong..you could get a couple sets of these for the price of some of the name brands and I dont think there's that much of a difference..I guess time will tell but so far so good..

GodSmack

Chimp
May 27, 2013
BC
I just got off chat with 'nancy yu' and it will cost 490 USD for built wheels (20mm front axle, 135x12 rear axle). Apparently they won't be ready for shipping until next week because so many people have been ordering them. How's that for customer service?
Does she have a sister? China girls are hot!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Hmm... maybe, they should already start making rims compatible with Schwalbe's new tire gizmo ;)