Quantcast

Anyone race XC as well as DH?

L

luelling

I remember back in the day (mid 90s) a lot of people did both because you could do them on the same bike. I stopped racing XC in '99 and I have recently returned. Racing DH all those years has done some good (I race both now)....I can toast a lot of the pros on the descents so it gives me and advantage on tech courses.....I've just gotta get my climbing skills up to par :) One thing I do like about XC over DH (this is about the only thing) is that you don't HAVE to practice the course, I know lots of people do, but I don't.

L

luelling

I agree. XC is fun after the fact, but DH is way more fun all the way around. My friend races pro XC and I recently moved near him, so now I'm sucked back into XC :) Actually if you are super fit and not suffering, but causing the suffering of your fellow racers then its fun.....the problem is that I'm typically the one suffering not causing it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
luelling said:
I agree. XC is fun after the fact, but DH is way more fun all the way around. My friend races pro XC and I recently moved near him, so now I'm sucked back into XC :) Actually if you are super fit and not suffering, but causing the suffering of your fellow racers then its fun.....the problem is that I'm typically the one suffering not causing it.
Yeah. Same. I really need to get back into shape for XC. Fun thing is I can burn all the DHers in pedaling/sprinting sections.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I raced XC once. Although it was pretty fun it's not my deal. When I get my 29er I may do it again in the SS class.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have raced it once, at Firestone recently. It's kind of fun. I was jumping/wheelieing off everything and I still did pretty good.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The first batch of Sinister Mustang XC race hardtails just got back from paint Friday. That means with a new XC race bike I'm back in the game. I love XC racing, and after 3 years off from taking it seriously I really want to focus on XC for next season.

I got my Semi-pro upgrade for Dh this season, but my one meager goal for bike racing has always been a top 20 placing at the Mt Snow NCS XC in Pro. I got within striking distance so many times in various expert classes, but after three years of no road or 'cross racing it will take a while to get back to Semi-pro fitness, let alone cat 2/pro XC shape. With age comes wisdom though...

The thing that bums me out about XC racing is that it requires tons of road racing every season to remain competitive. XC races are so taxing that they actually tend to make you less fit after competing in one, so it isn't optimal to race often. I'll always be too weak and fragile to be able to race XC and Dh super-competitively at the same time, so it sucks having to choose.

A

ACDC

XC is everywhere. DH is a sport in downhill specific areas only. There are lot's of flat places all over the USA.
Yeah DH is fun,but also riders have to wear-or should wear hot armor + push,shuttle,lift the bike to the top is the downside of DH. Plus the bikes are used for that DH purpose only usually.Plus the risk factor of injury goes up some.Whistler is unmatched for DH.

Trail-user conflicts all over narrows DH riding to specific spots.Liability issues with man-built stunts.People want to sue if a board breaks,etc.
XC is an Olympic sport,but DH would be more entertaining to watch prolly.
Courses(DH) are narlier & i think pure SPEED is not anywhere to be found.40+mph is DH.Like DH skiing.....Old school courses are cool.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
ACDC said:
XC is everywhere. DH is a sport in downhill specific areas only. There are lot's of flat places all over the USA.
Yeah DH is fun,but also riders have to wear-or should wear hot armor + push,shuttle,lift the bike to the top is the downside of DH. Plus the bikes are used for that DH purpose only usually.Plus the risk factor of injury goes up some.Whistler is unmatched for DH.

Trail-user conflicts all over narrows DH riding to specific spots.Liability issues with man-built stunts.People want to sue if a board breaks,etc.
Courses(DH) are narlier & i think pure SPEED is not anywhere to be found.40+mph is DH.Like DH skiing.....Old school courses are cool.
So what's your point?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
ACDC said:

:think:

Your posts are some of the most incoherent ramblings I've read on this site in a long time.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I prefer XC racing to DH racing. Much less stress at the start and on course, more time on the bike, less time talking about bikes, less time complaining, and everything is cheaper.

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
A few years ago (2002) I actually raced a 24 hour race (5 man team) on the same weekend that I was racing DH at Bromont. Was a lot of fun! But I prefer DH racing to XC racing. Now I just do XC for fun and race DH whenever I can. I definately ride more XC though as it is more accessable and can ride everyday after work; However, if I lived at Whistler then I might not own an XC bike! :)

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
bikenweed said:
I prefer XC racing to DH racing. Much less stress at the start and on course, more time on the bike, less time talking about bikes, less time complaining, and everything is cheaper.

Yeah, i'm strating to get back in that mood also. Plus at least in Cali right now there are more quality XC races than DH.

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
When people ask if I race I just tell them "yea, I've been pro for a few years now"...

Lying is fun :)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
On the topic of Dh racers XC bikes... Behold Sinister Mustang #1

Gratuitous Hans-Rey inmpression, couldn't find any 3rd world children

I forgot to order a FD in time. I will be running an IRD compact drive road deraileur, utilizing a roller by the BB.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Cross-Country?

What is this "across the country" you speak of???

Riding a bike through the woods for 11,384 miles?... wearing ball-punishingly tight pants? ...avoiding jumps or drops?... Why???

...riding a bike up hill?

This can't be.