Quantcast

Anyone played around with their shimstacks on the their Emerald?

SCARY

Not long enough
I'm gonna be getting one next week and am wondering if anyone has felt the need to make it more progressive or stiffer.Basically ,change it from stock. I'm thinking because it's from former marzocchi guys,it might be too linear and soft out of the box,but I could be wrong...and I'm looking forward to twisting knobs and stuff.
Couldn't get another dorado in my time frame (love that fork) so I figured on giving this a shot

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I am mounting up mine tomorrow, so I will probably get into the valving on it in a month or so if necessary. The ones I've checked out have been plenty progressive though. There is a LOT you can do with the base and mid on that fork too, but the adjusters seem to be very effective. I have a few ideas in mind for issues like you mentioned if they were to come up.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I've got one, just need a stupid new fork race because they made it tapered. I'm still angry about that, and I yelled at them during the development phase about that. Once I get it going I will get around to posting a MEGA FORK REVIEW. Comparing the Dorado, DVO, and Avy 888.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I've got one, just need a stupid new fork race because they made it tapered. I'm still angry about that, and I yelled at them during the development phase about that. Once I get it going I will get around to posting a MEGA FORK REVIEW. Comparing the Dorado, DVO, and Avy 888.
Yeah that's pretty damn annoying I wanna run my 1.5 INSET....

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Yeah, allegedly people want the tapered for some reason. I think those people are morons though. I begged them to design both tapered and straight, oh well.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
what is the disadvantage of the tapered steerer? I know on my trail bike it has a zs44 headtube so i had to run an external cup, but i thought most new bikes these days have oversized headtubes so you wouldnt have to worry about that

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
what is the disadvantage of the tapered steerer? I know on my trail bike it has a zs44 headtube so i had to run an external cup, but i thought most new bikes these days have oversized headtubes so you wouldnt have to worry about that
My issue is that I couldn't run an INSET lower CK cup like I was with the 11/8th forks. I mean hell make a small batch of lowers with 11/8th and make it an option to those that want em....

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
My issue is that I couldn't run an INSET lower CK cup like I was with the 11/8th forks. I mean hell make a small batch of lowers with 11/8th and make it an option to those that want em....
pretty weird they don't offer a straight 1 1/8th, is this the only dual crown on the market that is ONLY available in tapered?