Quantcast

Anyone on the new 2012 Fox 40's?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I was selling a DH frame and the guy buying it wanted it complete so I sold my fork with it. Now I need a new fork.

I have been on the newer style boxxers for 2 seasons now and have liked them ok but want to try something new so I am considering the new fox 40.

Anyone with significant ride time on them yet? How is reliability? I heard the horror stories of older 40's and blowing bladders and such. I don't know much about the 40 since I have never owned one but was that something addressed when they inverted the damper in 2011? I have an 2011 fox 36 talas that has been awesome and with the newer Kashima coating and the new SKF seals it seems like getting a 2012 40 would be pretty sweet.

My only experience on a fox 40 is my friends beat 08 40 (although it was freshly rebuilt) which still felt better then my freshly rebuilt boxxer r2c2 (stiffness and plushness).

Other option is pick up a cheap boxxer RC and drop a Avalanche or Elka cartridge in it. If i went that route, is there a major difference between the two?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You will like it Eric its a good unit.
Great resell so you'll do OK of you don't like it kashima is smooth new skf seals are golden. I have buddies here with em and good stuff, I have the 36 180 and had the van as well very smooth operation. Better compression damping then in the past.
I say go for it.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
def a difference...you'll love it. run over to allen's house...he has one on your old legend frame

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
As the others said..

the new fox with SKF seals are good, the bladder thing is also in the past they reversed them in the leg, so not such a hassle..

I have a 4-5 people i ride with on the 12's that had the previous years as well, and they rate the new ones well above the old.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Thanks for the advice, I liked the great customer service and ease of maintenance of the Boxxers but they definitely lacked in the small bump compliance department. Also my R2c2 never got full travel. They worked though so it never really bothered me.

do the fox forks ride fairly high in the travel? I really dislike forks that wallow and blow through their travel easily

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
like any good fork, they can be set up a variety of ways. But the new ones base tune has a lot of damping, so it should be fairly easy to achieve that

meepmeep

Chimp
May 23, 2011
I have a 2011 Fox 40 and I recently got the new SKF seals installed. The difference in the fork is night and day.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Been on the '12 40 for a while now, I'd say it's probably the best downhill fork out there aside from the small weight penalty. I personally thought it had less stiction than both the 888 Evo and Boxxer, probably helped along by the Kashima, SKF, and green oil combo.

The damper has a lot more range as of '11, and I feel like the rebound curve is nicer than the competition - somewhere where Fox has always excelled. There's significantly more compression range in the 11/12 forks as well.

If you're getting spring rub you can add another isolator to the spring, but personally I found as long as you keep the isolator in the middle of the spring, it stays silent. The later 2012 forks actually have a slightly narrower Ti spring and redesigned spring seat to reduce spring rub.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I actually really wanted to try a 888 evo ti this year and was set to do so until the latest news of marz possibly going under came out. With their future uncertain I think I will stick with a more reliable brand.

Also, I have had quite a few marzocchi's in the past. When they work they are amazing but when I had to send them back to marz, one took 3 months and the other took 6 months. Waaay to long and the 6 month one was in the middle of the season so I had to buy another fork just to finish the season on.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
On my last Session I had a 2009 40 and didn't have any problems with it. After about 20 hours of riding the fork felt perfect. So when buying the new Session a 40 was the only option for me. I haven't broken it in yet so I can't speak to the performance.