Quantcast

Anyone heard of this???

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
knee/shin guards slash knee brace? or possibly knee/shins designed to go over a brace? I just did my second ACL, so both knees are fvcked. For a while i was okay wearing one pad and one brace, since my old brace was such beefy fiberglass that it did the trick. but i outgrew that brace and need two new ones now.
Any advice on products or ways other gimps have managed would be super-fantastiche

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
^^^those look fantastic but a little less shin coverage than i was hoping for. thanks so much tho, i wonder if my health insurance would cover something like that

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
those are cheaper than the asterix and a lot less bulky, better shin coverage, but i don't know how the support looks. i'm missing 50% of my meniscus in my L knee and 60% in my R knee, plus i'm riding a cadaver grafted ACL in my right so i need as much support as I can get. Rufus if you get your knees on a pair of those let me know how they feel cuz i'd like to save a couple hundo if i can

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
those are cheaper than the asterix and a lot less bulky, better shin coverage, but i don't know how the support looks. i'm missing 50% of my meniscus in my L knee and 60% in my R knee, plus i'm riding a cadaver grafted ACL in my right so i need as much support as I can get. Rufus if you get your knees on a pair of those let me know how they feel cuz i'd like to save a couple hundo if i can
I'll keep you posted. Take your knees and multiple them by 10, those are mine.

My right knee went 90* backwards and tore, ripped, shredded, dislocated everything in there.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have a knee made of paper mache' (or possibly bularian china ware) and the asterik has been my tiny tim apparel for many moons now.

I dont get on the bike (or moto) without it and have no need for amour since it is built like stinkyboys office chair (or jimmydeans crapper)

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I have a couple friends that rock the Asterisk braces, mostly for skiing but one of em wears them on the bike as well. He says it takes some getting used to (what doesn't?) but now never rides without them.

I've heard a few people have managed to get the bulk of the cost covered by insurance companies but I am sure this comes down to how sweet your insurance company is and whether or not they can see the (financial) benefit of not having to pay to get your asploded knee pieced back together again. If you look at it from that aspect it makes perfect sense $500 for some knee protection $10000+ to repair a knee.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you might be able to get some BMX shin protectors to wear under the brace...buddy has some, they're neoprene with hard plastic in the middle.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
I am sure this comes down to how sweet your insurance company is and whether or not they can see the (financial) benefit of not having to pay to get your asploded knee pieced back together again.
Well i'm in the Army and have military insurance, i was actually supposed to deploy on monday but i'm too broken. The insurance has been nothing but fantastic, I haven't paid a dime for my surgery, doctor's visits, or PT except for a 20$ copay at the ski clinic. even the MRI was covered 100%. so i bet if I can get my doctor to recommend these ones, as like "all purpose active braces," then insurance would take care of it

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
After my ACL the doctor gave me a brace that had an option for a **** guard/knee guard. It attatches to the brace itself, it isnt the best, but it certainly is better than nothing

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Well i'm in the Army and have military insurance, i was actually supposed to deploy on monday but i'm too broken. The insurance has been nothing but fantastic, I haven't paid a dime for my surgery, doctor's visits, or PT except for a 20$ copay at the ski clinic. even the MRI was covered 100%. so i bet if I can get my doctor to recommend these ones, as like "all purpose active braces," then insurance would take care of it
I had a pair if Asterisk and they were ok. If your insurance will cover them I would look into Innovation sports/CTi2 braces. This is the company that started Asterix for more affordable models. CTi2's are custom modeld too you and do have a patela cap option.The cost will most likley be close to 4-5 times that of the Asterisk but hay if the tax payers cover them all the better for you.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
hay if the tax payers cover them all the better for you.
ha ha not so lucky, i still have to pay for my insurance, granted it's cheap. thanks for all the input, I used to have a custom brace for my first ACL, a Hanger fiberglass one and it had the option for a knee cup but it was notorious for falling off in a crash.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I have a CTi2 with the removeable knee pad. It worked great during the year I needed to strengthen my ACL/meniscus injury. Haven't worn either since then. My knee seems stable enough, but doesn't mean I won't blow it out walking out my front door.

If I rode moto still, don't think I'd ever ride without matching knee braces.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Check out the Don Joy Armor with the optional impact guard.

The guard looks like a standard mtb knee/shin guard as far as I can tell. The brace is pretty spendy, but insurance should cover most of it.

I was recommended this one by my doctor, as I'm getting 2 ligaments reconstructed in about 2 weeks.