Quantcast

Anyone have a macked thumb and use a brace?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Looking for a thumb brace recommendation.

I was In a cast 5+ months last year and just reinjured it, looking at 6 more weeks without shredding.

While the braces i have seen have enough support to protect the thumb if I stuff it into some rocks, they are incompatible with holding a handlebar, sadly.

Would love any insight folks can offer!

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Pain is temporary. Holding on is the important part. Just gotta take some stress off gripping so hard.
ha!

its was actually a small little bail where i put my hand down. there just isn't any support in my hand anymore, so i sprain the repaired ligament.

The doc seems to think no matter what rehab i continue to do, it will always be that way.

local racer-type dude used these after a thumb injury. likes them enough to keep then on full time...
http://togs.com
gotcha. i guess i should be more clear. the problem is putting my hand down on the ground, not holding a bar. will edit first post.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I had good results with taping my thumb, first shown by a professional physio therapist and then done by myself, using good quality tapes like this.

I once sufferd from a comminuted fracture in my left metacarpus and had a friend build a custom made hand brace made of thermo plastics for me, good results too, but rather pricey if not a good friend.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I had good results with taping my thumb, first shown by a professional physio therapist and then done by myself, using good quality tapes like this.

I once sufferd from a comminuted fracture in my left metacarpus and had a friend build a custom made hand brace made of thermo plastics for me, good results too, but rather pricey if not a good friend.
interesting, thanks! doing a thumb spica tape job might be an easy solution. will look into it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What happened to your thumb?

A bunch of years ago I had a crash and the handlebars torqued my thumb back to my wrist, I think. Doc said I had skiers thumb, but on the opposite side of the thumb from where it usually happens. The tendon ripped a good chunk of bone out and put me in a cast for 2 months, followed by a brace for another month or two. God damn did that suck..

I've had no big problems since, other than a few times where my thumb has just stopped working when I go to grab a bottle or something.

I can't think of a way to support a thumb rigidly, while still being able to grip the bars..

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
yeah, initial injury was putting my hand down into some rocks like i have a 100 times previously, but caught my hand just right to create a classic skiers/gamekeepers thumb tear.

apparently i broke the scafoid bone at some point many years ago and never knew it. According to my doc, the scaffoid bone, overall laxity in the joints, this injury, etc are making my left hand pretty fubar, so another full tear could mean fusing the joint, and l potentially not be able to hold the bar normally ever again.

kinda freaking me out.

the double major bummer is that i had just gotten to the point a week previous to actually gripping the bars like normal.

anyhow, thanks for the thoughts, and i welcome any more!