Quantcast

anyone have a good stuffed pepper receipe?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm dying to make up some stuffed peppers.
Anybody take a new angle or have a great secret recepie to share?

BTW: this is my first post in the Beer and Food forum. WooHoo!!

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
my grandmother showed me how to make stuff peppers . it's been awhile, ok take the peppers clean them out , stuff ground beef into them along with rice, put alot of tomato sauce on them before you put them in oven. cook at 350 and contiune putting sauce on the peppers while they are in oven . i don't remeber how long to cook them , but you can figure that out. once cooked put alittle more sauce on and you got an excellent meal . pretty easy to make , if this doesn't sound right to you , like i said it's been awhile.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I make these pretty often. I use Poblano peppers cause "green peppers" suck, IMO. (actually, not my opinion, it's truth!)

My G-friend is a vegetarian so I use tofu, more peppers and what not.

First I roast Ahehiem Peppers and maybe a few extra Poblanos. I do this on the stove. Char the skin really well, then place in a bowl/pot with a lid. I use a bowl and put a plate on the top. Let these sit for 15 minutes or so, and it's easier to remove the skin. I let a gentle drip of cool water wash the skin away while I peel them in the sink.

Take the Poblanos you plan to stuff and cut the stem out. Set aside.

crumble tofu in a pan, add some oil, Chilli Powder, Cummin, Corriander, onion, garlic and anything else that you like. I add a small amount of taco sauce, or tomato sauce or something else to help it stick together a bit. I cook this just for a short bit then turn off the heat. I chop up Red Cabbage and throw that in the pan as well. Skin the roasted peppers and dice. Throw them in the pan as well.

Turn the oven on to 375.

Stuff the peppers with the mix. I like to add chunks of a Hard Parmesian (sp?) cheese in the center of the pepper.

I use my fingers to cram as much of the mixture into the pepper as I can. Place on pan and roast for 30 minutes or so, or until the pepper is easily to puncture with a fork.

eat.
the picture I have kinda sucks. the green stuff is Lentils that didn't look like that in real life... I do have better/newer pics but they are on another computer.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
[...] cause "green peppers" suck, IMO. (actually, not my opinion, it's truth!)
Very good observation.

Red bell peps:
Cut in half, seed. Diced tomato, s&p, sliced garlic (lots!), feta cheese, and drizzle w/ olive oil. Bake e'm 'till they're done (soft & feta is lightly browned on top). Really, really good.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
I've used Whole Foods Andoullie but have noticed that Whole Foods sausage is quite different around the country. Seattle area stores seem to be my favorite so far. I want to try this with a lamb sausage and maybe see how it works with a Nebbiolo. I'll let you know if/when I get around to it.

ITALIAN-STYLE STUFFED PEPPERS

2 LBS Italian pork sausage, casings removed and meat crumbled

2 small onions, peeled and minced

3/4 cup grated Parmagiana

1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs

1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley

1/4 cup pine nuts

corn kernels scraped from 2 medium cobs

1/2 tsp fresh oregano

pinch black pepper

8 large red peppers

olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. In a large saute pan, precook the sausage and onion together until the sausage is evenly browned and the onions are translucent. Set aside and allow to cool.

3. In a large mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the Parmagiana and all of the breadcrumbs, parsley, pine nuts, corn kernels, oregano and black pepper. Set aside.

4. Cut a lengthwise slice from each red pepper and save slice for another use. Discard core and seeds. Place the peppers in a baking dish.

5. Stir cooled sausage mixture into breadcrumb mixture and spoon into red peppers. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Parmagiana on peppers. Pour 1/4 cup of water between peppers into dish.

5. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes.