Quantcast

Anyone doing the netflix thing???

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's the greatest thing about watching movies ever. only thing which would beat it is if there was a huge, on-demand library via broadband.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
No hidden fees...it's not a credit card offer....and I love it...if you watch one a day or go nuts on the weekend, go for the 3 or 4 at a time...I have the 2...it's not enough...depending on how close the nearest shipping facility is, there's about a 2 day turnaround time....

Monday = put in mail back
Tuesday = Netflix receives, and ships next
Wednesday = Get new one in mail....

At least that's my experience...

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
narlus said:
it's the greatest thing about watching movies ever. only thing which would beat it is if there was a huge, on-demand library via broadband.
Ditto. They have a huge library, including documentaries and home improvement selections. Just figure on getting 6+ DVDs a month for it to be equal to renting from other facilities. The one real plus is there really and truly are no late fees, period.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
I'm doing blockbuster's version of it. Blockbuster online or something. At the time, they undercut netflix by a couple of bucks. It's a good concept. No hidden fees or charges. Though I sometimes get DVDs that skip, but that might be true if I went to my local blockbuster (which I rarely did prior to subscribing to this service).

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
but don't you miss going to the movie store? i hate hate hate blockbuster, but luckily we have a cool local video store that will order for you anything you want.
it's more of a social experience too... i get to run into ppl and chit chat with the video store kids about what movies are crap and which ones aren't.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I've got it and I love it. You can go through TV series packs like water, which is one of my favourite things. I love the 70's Show among other things, and it's great to get any flick you want without worrying about it being rented out (for the most part).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've had it forever and love it. I get 3 movies and it's about right. Sometimes I'm slow to watch something, but for the most part we average 3 a week, so it pays for itself. Plus my wife can get a ton of chick flicks with subtitles, she loves that crap.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We just started and so far it is pretty cool but we haven't been doing it long enough to say if there are any hidden fees. You can still go to the video store if you want, but with netflix you pretty much always have something around to watch. Plus no late fees! I am always getting dinged when I rent from the store.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
robdamanii said:
Where, we havent found ANY!

What do yuo search for?
:stupid: Hook us up!

Netflix is awesome BTW. My only gripe is that they don't ship on weekends so sometimes if you don't plan your returns correctly, you can have to wait a few days to get a movie.It's all about timing it for the weekends.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Been using Netflix for about 2 months. Really like it. They have Earthed, Earthed 2, all the Disorders, Fundamentals, a couple of Chain Reactions, Synopsis, and a few others. Nearest shipping place to me is 40 miles away so turn around is pretty good. I have the unlimited monthly but only 2 at a time. Works out good for the most part, but sometimes it feels like I am lagging behind in getting movies.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Had it for years and I have to say it has been a very good program. I even lost a couple of DVD's and no charge(you only get that option once or twice) My dog also decided that she should east one disc and that ran me $20 which seemed a little high but fair considering "my dog ate it". What a great excuse. Definitely need the 3 at a time unlimited if you watch more than 2 a week because of the no weekend shipping thingy.

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
It's the best thing since the turnpike fast pass. Even if I rent 1 movie per month, it's worth the $18 avoiding a trip to Blockbuster. Hell even if I don't rent one, it's still worth not going to Blockbuster.:D

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Yeah, and they have stuff like the old X-Files series. On another note DVD Shrink and AnyDVD are wonderful programs :D

Edit: my average is 6 discs a week - out on either Sun night or early Mon morning, 3 back to me on Wed. Turn them around that night and out early Thurs for another 3 on Sat. Love it!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Im about ready to cancel my netflix.

I cant stand seeing new releases at my local grocery store to find that its in "very long wait" at netflix. Ive even pre selected upcoming titles way in advance and seem to still get screwed by this. They also seem to have the new releases like 2 weeks later than the normal stores. Another thing that bugs me. Otherwise though its been cool, way cheaper if you rent alot, and are lazy and forgetful. I think popularity with the system has overloaded their stock, but maybe they are working on getting more titles sooner... or maybe not.. im too lazy to actually figure how to cancel anyways so i think i'll still use it thinking ... man i should cancel this some day.....

I do hear NF is better then the BB service....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
robdamanii said:
Where, we havent found ANY!

What do yuo search for?

they have the disorder series... hint search Disorder or New world disorder. Also have some of the kranked series, and i think even some of those crappy Thor Wixom films... Onion or Downer something like that....

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
oly said:

I cant stand seeing new releases at my local grocery store to find that its in "very long wait" at netflix. Ive even pre selected upcoming titles way in advance and seem to still get screwed by this. They also seem to have the new releases like 2 weeks later than the normal stores. Another thing that bugs me. Otherwise though its been cool, way cheaper if you rent alot, and are lazy and forgetful. I think popularity with the system has overloaded their stock, but maybe they are working on getting more titles sooner... or maybe not.. im too lazy to actually figure how to cancel anyways so i think i'll still use it thinking ... man i should cancel this some day.....

They've seemingly put a buttload more discs in circulation, since I've only ONCE had a problem with a new release.

I'm pleased, even though they lost one of the discs on me that I really wanted to see.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
robdamanii said:
They've seemingly put a buttload more discs in circulation, since I've only ONCE had a problem with a new release.

I'm pleased, even though they lost one of the discs on me that I really wanted to see.
We lost one disk... a week later it was returned... someone had to have gotten it and was stoked for a free rental... we actually had a replacement sent right away... They are good for that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
oly said:

I tend to still pick something up local if I am itching to see something or don't feel like waiting. But what I dig about net flix is I have my list stacked and sometimes I forget what is next, so it's like christmas when I check the mail.

But I have had to wait a few times, I just like the selection, so for $15 or whatever it is, it's worth it.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Ehe...I did a search for "disorder" to find some of those biking videos. At the bottom of the page for NWD5 they had the "Enjoyed by members who also enjoyed..." bit.

Since I live half an hour from the nearest video store, netflix more than worth it. Even if I don't always rent enough movies to cover the cost.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
hmm. The only thing that's holding me back is the thought of what if I'm in the mood for action and what I've got from them is the other things on my list maybe a chick flick or serious drama. That's what I like about going into the store, picking what I'm in the mood for.

our Hollywood video has a pretty good deal, $9.99 a month for all the not-new releases and blue label dvds you want, you can get three at a time. It only takes a few weeks usually for a new release to turn into a blue label.And I fI'm dying for a new release, why I just use my coupon.

geargrrl