Quantcast

Anyone 2x1...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Thought about doing it with a traditional crank and a YESS style tensioned, but never got it to work. I used a cheaper tensioned that wouldn't allow for growth.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
...via Hammerschmidt and a SS cog out back? Looks like this could make my Sinister Ridge pretty sweet.
I have a teammate that does that and likes it.

Though he also likes occasionally strapping a 24" rear wheel with 3" Gazzi on his demo 8.....

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
I have been thinking about this for a while now. I think it would make a killer slalom bike setup. If only I could afford a 'schmidt I'd love to try it out on my hardtail.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Thought about doing it with a traditional crank and a YESS style tensioned, but never got it to work. I used a cheaper tensioned that wouldn't allow for growth.
Haha I did that same thing to my dj bike in high school, only I used a rear deraileur to tension the chain and just had 2 rings in the front with no shifter, wanna change gear? reach down and do it. It actually worked pretty well the only reason I had it setup that way was due to lack of money for a chain guide. Seems that a HS and single 16-19 or so cog in the back would be pretty sweet.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Might do it in the future via a Schlumpf...prefer the idea of heel-click gear shifting

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
That'd be my preference, too. It's a cleaner look than that kludgy Hammerschmidt, and about the same ballpark price-wise. I took one (installed in a Willits) for a test spin a few years ago and thought it was pretty slick. But geez, they're not cheap. It'd probably be less $$ (and easier to source, albeit heavier) to go w/ an Alfine.
- Joe

Might do it in the future via a Schlumpf...prefer the idea of heel-click gear shifting

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
Never heard of that Schlumpf before, not sure about that thing. Can is run a bash? Parts availability? CS? I say the HS cuz its pretty mainstream now and SRAM has good CS.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hammerschmidt's either licensed or a blatant rip-off of the newer Schlumpf setup, right?