Quantcast

anybody uses those fat oversized chains?

rbx

Monkey
i bought mine from 1664 components the damn thing is humengous..on their website they say not to use the master link but to brake the chain..

do you guys have any ideas why?
(i really the convience of the master link)

does using the master link weaken the chain?

thanks

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I got a KMC 415 Street Chain its 3/16ths...dunno about the master link but I think that my next chain will be the 1/8th chain and just use a bashguard. those big ass chains are freakin heavy...and they don't protect the chainwheel all that much, I've smashed a couple of teeth through the chain.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i've ridden bikes for a damm long time(1982)and never had a fat chain. i ran a bash guard of some kind and a small chain.

I recently got a new bike from BMXMan and it came w/ a fat ass chain. as mentioned above, it's heavy and really doesn't protect the chainring or the teeth.
the new sprockets that have 1/4 bash guard on them are better I believe as they protect your chain and sprocket and don't weigh that much more than a regualar sprocket.

if you don't do alot of bash,grind stuff these big chains are a work around (for lack of a better word) for bash ring things.

as for not running a master link, it's been a long running idea that they cause a weak spot in the chain..... it really depends on how hard you hammer on the thing though.

uh, that probably didn't answer any of your questions....or did it?

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
The company recomends not using a masterlink because it is a weak point in the chain. The oversized chains are cool for a bit, I have had them on all of my freestyle bikes. The only problems that I have really had have been the chain eating away at the sprocket and the chain wearing away at the frame. Now I just pedal grind occasionally so I dont run the big chain or a guard. The chain is nice if you grind right side. I have broken millions of links for missing feebles and whatnot

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Use a nice park chain tool.
Gets it on fine.

Yes, I love my "Kink" chain!
I can grind down rails on it, grind down brick on it, or just slam plum into some sh!t with it.

And aint that what riding is all about?

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
well i've been using this fat motocross chain since 1/2year, and no complaints about it. it does protect your chainring completely, if you have the right chainring. (mine was custom made for the shop i got it from).

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Yippie!

Just ordered up a 415H "half-link".

Now I can shorten my big ass chainlength,
and get my stupid ass S&M holmes to have a proper chainstay length!!!!!!

If anyone has similar problems, lemme know.
I can get more of these things pretty easy.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by 563 740

1. What do you consider proper length?
there is no "proper length". if you jump or race or just like going fast, the longer your wheelbase is, the better your bike will handle. the longer your backend is (chainstay lenght) the harder it is to get your front end off the ground. this makes your bike steer better at higher speeds. (it's hard to steer if your front tire isn't on the ground)

I like to ride flat and i do lot's of manuals. plus i'm not very tall and i'm weak like a little girl. so I run the shortest backend I can.
it's about 13.75, so short I can hit my heel on my back pegs w/ my feet still on the pedals.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Originally posted by pnj
i'm weak like a little girl. so I run the shortest backend I can.
Just piss on the bathroom floor, wipe it around with your foot and pretend you don't know what peaple are talking about when they say " Bill, do you know who is pissing on the bathroom floor.":D :cool:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by jodysbike
Just piss on the bathroom floor, wipe it around with your foot and pretend you don't know what peaple are talking about when they say " Bill, do you know who is pissing on the bathroom floor.":D :cool:
oh, I do.

it makes manuals SO much easier.