Quantcast

Anybody Every to a Hardtail from a FS?

Mguts1

Chimp
Apr 1, 2009
I bought a full suspension last year and like it pretty well. When I stop to think about it though, probably 80% of my riding is on crushed limestone trails. I used to get out every week or so and huck the bike a little bit, but I'm finding I just like to ride the trails and go around those areas instead when I get out there. I'm kind of thinking I might be better off going back with a hardtail. The extra padding doesn't seem to be worth the inefficiency of pedaling-especially since I don't ride the way I used to anymore.

I always thought everyone did it the other way around, but anybody ever switch to a hardtail?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Plenty have. Might try a 29er hardtail and see if it suits you, too.

Or, you might just try tuning your suspension for better efficiency, and/or using a shock with lockout or heavy low-speed compression damping...

Edit: I dunno what you're riding, but if you're on a quality modern full suspension of the appropriate travel and you feel your pedaling efficiency is seriously compromised, it really is probably a setup issue.

That said, I ride my rigid singlespeed over 80% of the time now because of 1) where/what I'm riding and 2) a growing dislike of maintenance of any kind. I'm turning into a retro-grouch, and you can too!

Last edited:

Mguts1

Chimp
Apr 1, 2009
That's kind of where I'm getting to, too. I don't want anymore maintenance that necessary. I'm riding a Trek Fuel. It's dialed in for my weight, but with my changes in riding preference, it just kind of seems like I don't need it anymore. A little bit lighter of a bike, with less maintenance, would be more ideal for what I ride now.

Who would you recommend for the 29'rs? I really only know of Gary Fisher making those. Every person I've talked to who has one says they would never go back to a 26" setup.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Tons of 29ers out there now, from major makes to boutique brands. Totally depends on budget and what your priorities are...maybe try browsing the 29er forum here...?

I'm getting a custom, based on the characteristics of my rigid 26" bike that I like so much. Still waiting on it, though, so I can't give too much feedback. My bike's geo will be similar to the production Canfield Nimble 9, however...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I had pretty much ridden a FS rig only for about 6 years when I went back to a hardtail and that was my primary bike for a year and a half. Now I have both and ride whichever I feel like on the trails.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I have a Yeti 575 and an On-One Inbred 29er singlespeed. If most of my trails were smooth, I would sell the Yeti.

After riding FS bikes for 8 years I am at the point where I don't see FS as necessary for most trails I've ridden around the USA, but I do think they're good for long rides on rough trails... which are found at various places around the country.

Where I live we have smooth trails and rough trails, and sometimes I even ride the On-One on the rough trails for a change of pace.

If you're looking for more efficiency and lighter weight then I would suggest trying a hardtail again.

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
I like to switch back and forth between my hardtail and suspension bikes. The hardtail makes trail riding "interesting" again. It makes me pick my lines a little more carefully, and makes the trails around my area seem more technical. I really enjoy throwing the flats on the hardtail and just have some fun on the trail. After a few months of riding just the hardtail, my six inch dual suspension bike feels like a downhill rig.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I use a hardtail around the Bay Area. I just rather not service my FS bike every other month.

swoody

Chimp
Mar 25, 2008
Chicago, USA
I have been a big fan of hardtails as well. For one, I'm a stickler for simplicity - I'd rather be out riding a bike than working on it. I also enjoy feeling the ground underneath the bike - the rocks, the roots - it makes you feel like you're part of the Earth that you are riding on :thumb:

-Woody

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Alright I tend to ramble on so you've been warned...I'll try keep it brief, here's my story...

I had a Giant Trance for about a year when we decided to get my Husband a hardtail so we could do family rides. Anyway got him a Giant Alias (similar to an XTC), it was in my size as I figured it would be a good back up bike. Needless to say it was a lot of fun to ride it and I soon realized I didn't really need a dually for the riding I was doing.
But I must say the Trance played a big part in giving me the confidence to try doing some small drops and jumps, that I wouldn't have been game on my previous HT.

So what this led to was me selling the Trance and buying a more rounded hardtail, namely the Giant STP...me being a 5ft7 lady the small size was a benefit rather than an issue.
That progressed to getting a DH bike as well, my god does the Orange 222 ride plush and corners incredibly. But albeit DH isn't for me, I don't ride fast enough so I've recently decided to sell the Orange and keep the STP..... there is just something about a simple but versatile hardtail that's worth holding on to. I could put a Pike on it should I feel the need for DH (well if I had a Pike I could do that), or I could turn the STP into a single speed dirt jumping machine more akin to a BMX.

So yes I had a dually and I went back to a hardtail. I think like someone else has said if you can have both types of bikes in the stable it's probably more ideal, because no doubt if you switch back to HT after a while you will probably be longing for a dually again, if not just for something different or to try new technology etc. It just depends what your ultimate 2 bike stable would consist of?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Alright I tend to ramble on so you've been warned...I'll try keep it brief, here's my story...

I had a Giant Trance for about a year when we decided to get my Husband a hardtail so we could do family rides. Anyway got him a Giant Alias (similar to an XTC), it was in my size as I figured it would be a good back up bike. Needless to say it was a lot of fun to ride it and I soon realized I didn't really need a dually for the riding I was doing.
But I must say the Trance played a big part in giving me the confidence to try doing some small drops and jumps, that I wouldn't have been game on my previous HT.

So what this led to was me selling the Trance and buying a more rounded hardtail, namely the Giant STP...me being a 5ft7 lady the small size was a benefit rather than an issue.
That progressed to getting a DH bike as well, my god does the Orange 222 ride plush and corners incredibly. But albeit DH isn't for me, I don't ride fast enough so I've recently decided to sell the Orange and keep the STP..... there is just something about a simple but versatile hardtail that's worth holding on to. I could put a Pike on it should I feel the need for DH (well if I had a Pike I could do that), or I could turn the STP into a single speed dirt jumping machine more akin to a BMX.

So yes I had a dually and I went back to a hardtail. I think like someone else has said if you can have both types of bikes in the stable it's probably more ideal, because no doubt if you switch back to HT after a while you will probably be longing for a dually again, if not just for something different or to try new technology etc. It just depends what your ultimate 2 bike stable would consist of?
I ride my hardtail and my Enduro. I have thought about a 5 inch travel bike, but it does seem ridiculous considering I can ride most things with my hardtail and I am looking for bigger challenges than a 5 inch bike can handle.

But I love your attitude towards bikes!

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah if your going pure xc hardtail a 29er ss is definitely the way to go. You'll get a better workout and you can say goodbye to a lot of weight/repair hassle's. Though on my ss 29er I ran thorn resistant tubes and while they are heavy as a biaatch they kept the momentum in the wheels really well and helped barrel up hills. Haha though will start to get realllly mad at your riding buddies if they ride geared and they make u lose your momentum (I've screamed at people to get off the trail and sell their bike to someone who knows how to ride it many times).

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I had pretty much ridden a FS rig only for about 6 years when I went back to a hardtail and that was my primary bike for a year and a half. Now I have both and ride whichever I feel like on the trails.
Yep always need a ht in your quiver of bikes. I go from geared fs to geared ht. Whatever I feel like or where I am riding. When i get bored I take out my ss ht. And no I did not jump on the 29" bandwagon, main reason I am too short...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Yep always need a ht in your quiver of bikes. I go from geared fs to geared ht. Whatever I feel like or where I am riding. When i get bored I take out my ss ht. And no I did not jump on the 29" bandwagon, main reason I am too short...
Sounds like me! I have a geared HT, geared FS AM rig, geared DH, SS HT (no 29ers here) and SS HT for stunts/DJ. It's nice to have options!

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Sounds like me! I have a geared HT, geared FS AM rig, geared DH, SS HT (no 29ers here) and SS HT for stunts/DJ. It's nice to have options!
Yes it is. I thought I was the only one with too many bikes. I left out my DH bike, ss fully and now I am working on the idea of a dh ss ht.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Yes it is. I thought I was the only one with too many bikes. I left out my DH bike, ss fully and now I am working on the idea of a dh ss ht.
LOL! I also have a road bike and am on the hunt for a CX bike! (No worries though, my husband has 1 more than me)! We live by the formula X + 1 is the correct number of bikes to own (x being the number you currently own).

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I actually settled on the 29" hardtail as a one-general-purpose bike since my days of owning a big stable of bikes are at an end... It's going to be able to run a short suspension fork or a rigid, and has sliding drops for geared/SS options; I move a lot and the versatility will be nice to adapt to new environments.

I think I'm going to keep a 6" freeride bike as well, but those two about the most bike I can tote around the globe with me. Maybe if we can ditch the wife's bike, which has been ridden twice in 7 years, I can pick up a road or CX, too...hmmm...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I actually settled on the 29" hardtail as a one-general-purpose bike since my days of owning a big stable of bikes are at an end... It's going to be able to run a short suspension fork or a rigid, and has sliding drops for geared/SS options; I move a lot and the versatility will be nice to adapt to new environments.

I think I'm going to keep a 6" freeride bike as well, but those two about the most bike I can tote around the globe with me. Maybe if we can ditch the wife's bike, which has been ridden twice in 7 years, I can pick up a road or CX, too...hmmm...
LOL! What's your wife's bike?

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
I've been riding my hardtail a bit more since the weather has been bad. We've had a bit more snow this year than we've had in a while, and the hardtail is easier to pedal through snow than the full suspension. I still really enjoy riding full suspension, but the hardtail seems to really hone the riding skills.

rockarollah

Chimp
Feb 11, 2010
Waterloo, ON
I think it depends on where you live and how you like to ride...

I've had a few hardtails (ridden and rented a few too) and a few dual suspension bikes.

I have an old hardtail as a backup, and a newer 5"/5" (Specialized FSR) that I mostly ride. When the new bike's being serviced, or just for the hell of it, I'll ride the hardtail. It's fun for a change - the trail gets a bit edgier, you get a bit more beat-up and have to pick lines more carefully. (This is ESPECIALLY true when riding rigid, which I did this year. You forget how rough 'smooth' trails can be!) With modern suspension, I wouldn't say the hardtail is much more efficient, if at all - in fact, it's great to just sit down and let the rear suspension do all the work for you. On flowy sections I'd say that my speeds are higher on a 5"/5" bike, and I can ride harder because I'm less beat-up. On the other hand, with a 'trail'-style dual suspension bike, I wouldn't say that a hardtail keeps me from hitting trail obstacles or riding sections. (I'd disagree when comparing a DH bike and stunts, steep chutes, etc...). There's a charm to riding sketchier and getting a bit more beat-up on a ride, and riding hardtail/rigid now and again does build technique.

Basically, with good suspension setup, I don't think a <5" dual suspension bike is much, if any, slower or less efficient than a normal hartail. I still have a hardtail and enjoy riding it, but given a choice it's nice to ride a dually.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Might as well throw in my 2 cents. As far as mountain bikes go, I have a DH bike, 5" FS bike (Prophet) and a hardtail that is rigid at the moment. Most of the trails I ride are pretty rocky so the HT might be slower on some of them; if my FS bike were lighter and more xc-oriented, the HT would certainly be slower. Changing a few parts around helped a lot for the HT's rideability- wider bars and wider, higher volume tires make things easier, but it's still pretty rough on the rocks.

I probably have ridden the HT more since I got it, though. It climbs faster, has a snappy feel and is about 8 lbs lighter than my FS bike while being more reliable and requiring less maintenance. I will admit that it is much more fun to descend on my FS, but the added challenges of the HT provide entertainment in their own way. And in any case, the HT is just fun to ride and allows me to spend more time riding and less time fixing or adjusting things. Except for the frame, the bike is just about top of the line...if it were 1999 or so. 8 speed XT/XTR, Turbine LP square taper cranks, King/517 wheels, V-brakes. Light, reliable stuff that was cheap to buy and makes the bike worth owning for me.

One other side-benefit of the HT is that I have the parts to set it up single speed without too much hassle. I switch it around every now and then.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
LOL! What's your wife's bike?
Something I built off a Nashbar bargain steel frame--think it's a rebadged Kona. Just a hardtail with v-brakes and an old Manitou Magnum fork. In blue, which seems to be its most important feature.

She, however, just doesn't seem to much like riding bikes, especially MTBs. She dislikes speed, roughness, and mechanical stuff and has no desire to grow to like them. If we lived somewhere where a bike was good around-town mobility, she'd probably love a beach cruiser, but that's about it.

Thought she might take to it as a former XC runner, but no dice. Ironically, however, she still clings to ownership of the bike and won't let me get rid of it because I built it just for her.

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Started on a geared HT and went to a geared 3.5" FS then to a geared 5.75" AM FS then to a SS HT then to a rigid SS HT then back to a geared HT and now a 4" geared FS because my back can't stand the pounding.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
i raced downhill for 5 years until i stopped due to injuries. i've been on a rigid xc bike since and will be racing my first xc season this year. from DH race rig to full rigid, i love it. steal is real

Mguts1

Chimp
Apr 1, 2009
I haven't been on here much lately, but I finally made up my mind about what I'm going to do.

I was doing a little research and found a shop near where i go to school in Milwaukee that's a really cool place. I was in there and stumbled upon a Kona Unit which is a SS 29er. Rode it up and down the street a few times and loved it. I guess I didn't realize how much the suspension affects my power when pedaling. When I would start out, the bike went forward like instantaneously. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not, but thats sure how it felt. It's an all rigid bike which I wasn't sure if I would like or not, but it really wasn't bad at all. It's a steel frame, which the guy at the shop said makes a difference. Even being steel, its a lot lighter than the Fuel Ex I have now.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions everybody.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Pretty surprising all the comments in here...would have thought the SS HTers would be in the minority.

I pretty much grew up on FS bikes. My first non-huffy "real" mtb was a DB V-link. From there a GT STS, then a Straight Six (the real one) then an 8, then an Arrow DS3, then a Brooklyn, then a prophet, now a sunday...
Shortly after I ditched the prophet, I got a Homegrown HT...at first I was thrilled-I had never ridden a hardtail before for any extended period of time. I felt like it made me be a better rider, since you actually have to have some concern for what you are doing. It was fast, shot forward like crazy, and was darned reliable...
...but the magic is fading. It's got a rough, aluminum rigid ride. It does shoot forward, but possibly because it weighs 24lbs as compared to the 29-30+lb bikes I'd been on previously. It doesn't climb as well because it breaks traction more often than an FS bike...and the maintenance thing...I don't really believe that a good FS bike takes any more time or concern than a hardtail, unless it's made by a really poor company.
I think I finally realize that the prophet was just a terrible bike, and that the HT, while fun and different, is more masochist than "best solution".
YMMV, but even on smooth trails, I think a little bit of travel goes a long way. I'm beginning a search for another 5/5" trail specific susser to replace the Schwinnler.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Pretty surprising all the comments in here...would have thought the SS HTers would be in the minority.

I pretty much grew up on FS bikes. My first non-huffy "real" mtb was a DB V-link. From there a GT STS, then a Straight Six (the real one) then an 8, then an Arrow DS3, then a Brooklyn, then a prophet, now a sunday...
Shortly after I ditched the prophet, I got a Homegrown HT...at first I was thrilled-I had never ridden a hardtail before for any extended period of time. I felt like it made me be a better rider, since you actually have to have some concern for what you are doing. It was fast, shot forward like crazy, and was darned reliable...
...but the magic is fading. It's got a rough, aluminum rigid ride. It does shoot forward, but possibly because it weighs 24lbs as compared to the 29-30+lb bikes I'd been on previously. It doesn't climb as well because it breaks traction more often than an FS bike...and the maintenance thing...I don't really believe that a good FS bike takes any more time or concern than a hardtail, unless it's made by a really poor company.
I think I finally realize that the prophet was just a terrible bike, and that the HT, while fun and different, is more masochist than "best solution".
YMMV, but even on smooth trails, I think a little bit of travel goes a long way. I'm beginning a search for another 5/5" trail specific susser to replace the Schwinnler.
Hmmm, out of curiosity, why do you say the Prophet is a terrible bike? I know some people complain a bit about the suspension and the rear-end stiffness. I have one and have been pretty happy (I believe I even recommended it to you when you were looking at FS bikes....sorry about that, I guess). I suppose that I'm not the most discerning with equipment; I just ride what I have and usually walk away happy. I'm not at all trying to be critical- just wondering what you didn't like about it.

I think you're right about a few things. I do get a bit tired of my HT sometimes, especially because most the places I ride in aren't that smooth. But I can do other things with it that would be no fun on a 30lb FS bike. For example, yesterday I rode to some trails from my house, which are about 15 minutes of road and 45 minutes of bike path riding each way. Rode there, did about 1.5 hours of trail riding and rode back. I like that kind of ride, but it may not be fun for everyone.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's absolutely true...and if there's any commuting or bike path or road riding, a HT owns it hard over any FS bike, period. And on smooth trails, there isn't much need for FS...but especially in New England, FS can make a trail bearable that is simply not fun to ride on an HT.

I didn't like my prophet for a few reasons. Number one was the suspension. It had a falling rate and that wasn't dealt well with by the shock (manitou metel or whatever). For some reason, it felt very pronounced to me. Maybe it was my imagination, but it really felt stiff at first and then BLAM, you were deep in the travel. Number two was the noodly rear end. Didn't seem like a big deal, but having ridden other bikes since, it became apparent. Third was the fork (Lefty MAX), which topped out noticeably and never had a smooth feel...much different then my multi-year older manitou magnum on my homegrown, which has 2 inches less travel. That fork also consistently had a bit of play in it, no matter what. Finally, the frame was an inch too long in the top tube, and it had a huuuuuuuuuge stem on it. I felt way stretched out on a large, and it was damn scary. I could never find a shorter stem since it was 1.5. Realistically, that was a user error and not the fault of the bike.

Anyways, I don't think you recommended it to me; one popped up on craigslist and I needed it a few weeks later for an adventure race. It was a good deal and I ended up selling it for more than I paid. In fact, it may have been the other way around, you rode mine at monkeyfest two or three years ago when we were doing short track oval racing (you brought your shockwave, I think). I imagine with a little more time and better dampers, I would have liked the bike more, but it just felt looooooong and disconnected

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yeah, the falling-ish rate and rear end flex don't bother me too much as long as I have the shock set up right; I have a swinger on there now, which has some progression to it with enough SPV pressure.

The Lefty Max did kind of suck. I replaced mine with a Fox Float. My Lefty was well damped/controlled, but not terribly smooth. But the play and rattling annoyed the HELL out of me and I could never get rid of it. Working on it was also a pain, bleeding oil bladders, reseating bearing races and whatnot.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think I would have enjoyed the bike more if it fit better, but it was just too long and the shocks were sub par...didn't translate well to a DHers trailbike.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I think I would have enjoyed the bike more if it fit better, but it was just too long and the shocks were sub par...didn't translate well to a DHers trailbike.
the pivot location was not ideal either. Everyone I know that bought a Prohet hated it and sold it. C-dale always falls short on design especially with dh bikes.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Well, I guess I'm in the minority. I even raced DS on it. Maybe my opinion would change if I test rode some recent trailbike offerings, though.

rockarollah

Chimp
Feb 11, 2010
Waterloo, ON
My friend had a Prophet and used it as a playbike/park bike and really liked that. Yes, it had a flexy rear, but he pulled off some huge s*it with it. He loved the 67deg head angle...

I had a Gemini FR as my first DH bike. Yes, there are f'ed things about it as a DH bike (flexy flexy rear, geometry not suited for an 8" fork like the Travis DC I had, brake jack, weird shock size that no one makes >550# springs for), but I still liked it and ride it DH when I'm out west. (It's now my brother's - he put on a Lyrik and has ridden it 5x since - works for me!) I thought it would've made a great AM bike. Maybe it's sentiment or some of the rides I did on it, but I preferred it to my '05 Reign - I wanted to put on a 6" fork and light tires and ride it XC. In particular, I liked the suspension action and found it really progressive and nice on square-edge hits.

Last edited: