Quantcast

Any Portuguese monkeys here? Or people who have DH'd there before?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Myself and a couple of friends are planning a 2/3 week trip to Portugal in March, and I was hoping to find out a bit more about the places we want to go to, especially regarding uplifts.

We plan to race Pampilhosa da Serra on 17th March, and Gouveia on 24th March.

In between we'd like to hit up some other spots, including some of

Fafe
Lousa
Padela
Ribeira de Pena
Vigo (Spain, I know)

I've not vetted all of those yet to pick the best ones - recommendations welcomed! We might find our way to some other spots that I've not heard of too.

Now, what are our options for uplifting these other tracks? Are there local companies that provide a daily uplift in pickups/vans etc? Or failing proper organised uplifts, are their some locals that we could hook up with and pay to uplift us/let us uplift with them?

I'm assuming none of these places have chairlifts, given that chairlifts are generally put in for skiing, and Portugal is generally too warm to have any skiing?

Thanks!

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
Myself and a couple of friends are planning a 2/3 week trip to Portugal in March, and I was hoping to find out a bit more about the places we want to go to, especially regarding uplifts.

We plan to race Pampilhosa da Serra on 17th March, and Gouveia on 24th March.

In between we'd like to hit up some other spots, including some of

Fafe
Lousa
Padela
Ribeira de Pena
Vigo (Spain, I know)

I've not vetted all of those yet to pick the best ones - recommendations welcomed! We might find our way to some other spots that I've not heard of too.

Now, what are our options for uplifting these other tracks? Are there local companies that provide a daily uplift in pickups/vans etc? Or failing proper organised uplifts, are their some locals that we could hook up with and pay to uplift us/let us uplift with them?

I'm assuming none of these places have chairlifts, given that chairlifts are generally put in for skiing, and Portugal is generally too warm to have any skiing?

Thanks!
If youre going to vigo to hit the wc track... its in very bad conditions and its not worth it, but the locals made some new tracks in the same mountain that are pretty good. Almost every saturday antonio ferreiro ( xms-evil rider), does uplifts all day for 10€ I think.

In portugal you should go to ponte de lima bike park as the other guy mentioned you.
The other tracks you mention are very good too, gouveia, fafe and lousa specially but they dont have chairlifts.

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
OK, thanks. Vigo's the only place I've been to down that way before, and I loved it, but given that it's had very little racing recently I'm not surprised that it's a mess.

Do you know if any of the tracks have roads (or smooth-ish ungated forest tracks) to the top/bottom? I.e. if we were to rock up at one of these places on a Tuesday or something, would we be able to run our own shuttles?

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
OK, thanks. Vigo's the only place I've been to down that way before, and I loved it, but given that it's had very little racing recently I'm not surprised that it's a mess.

Do you know if any of the tracks have roads (or smooth-ish ungated forest tracks) to the top/bottom? I.e. if we were to rock up at one of these places on a Tuesday or something, would we be able to run our own shuttles?
Yes you should be able to uplift with most cars. (If you have a van or a normal car you shouldnt have problems)