Quantcast

Any one have newer Shimano (08+) shifters not work?

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I have a new rear Saint shifter that is not shifting when I push/pull the lever to shift to a smaller gear on the cassette. First ride it would occasionally not shift. Second ride today more often than not it would not shift. It works perfectly fine every time if I push to shift to a larger cassette gear.

Could it be something out of adjustment or does it need to go back to Shimano?

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
I have a new rear Saint shifter that is not shifting when I push/pull the lever to shift to a smaller gear on the cassette. First ride it would occasionally not shift. Second ride today more often than not it would not shift. It works perfectly fine every time if I push to shift to a larger cassette gear.

Could it be something out of adjustment or does it need to go back to Shimano?
Check to make sure the cable is in right and has not frayed and come apart in the shifter. No rebuilding that as Shimano will not provide parts for it. They are great as almost no questions asked warrante if your local shop has a good standing with em.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Check to make sure the cable is in right and has not frayed and come apart in the shifter. No rebuilding that as Shimano will not provide parts for it. They are great as almost no questions asked warrante if your local shop has a good standing with em.

Will check the cable to see if it has been damaged. Never thought about it since the cable was new when I installed the shifter.

How is Shimano if I have to deal direct? I don't have local shop that I frequent.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Will check the cable to see if it has been damaged. Never thought about it since the cable was new when I installed the shifter.

How is Shimano if I have to deal direct? I don't have local shop that I frequent.
Shimano will not in 99% of cases deal with you direct on a warrante issue.

What's wrong with using these guys? http://www.boltbrotherscycles.com/

I have been working in the bike biz for many years and they will not work with me unless I am working in a shop or bike biz wholesaler even knowing my experience level and involvement with bikes.

Last edited:

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Shimano will not in 99% of cases deal with you direct on a warrante issue.

What's wrong with using these guys? http://www.boltbrotherscycles.com/

I have been working in the bike biz for many years and they will not work with me unless I am working in a shop or bike biz wholesaler even knowing my experience level and involvement with bikes.

Bolt Brothers aren't far from me. Been in there once to look around but that is it. Would you suggest walking in any random shop since I don't frequent any of them? I didn't think a shop would likely to want to help with something like this. I do have one LBS I have bought some cold weather gear from recently but that has been the extent of frequenting the shops in the area.