Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
I have a 1995 4x4 pick up:
Standard cab
22RE
Manual 5 speed trans
141,000 miles

Over the last month the clutch pedal has a bit of a notchy feeling to it, kind of makes a little sound when releasing it (kind of like a stetching spring noise). The shifter also feels like it is not engaging into the forward position gears (1st 3rd 5th) like it used to. Last week it started popping out of gear, but only in 1st, 3rd or 5th...

I'm thinking it may be the throw out bearing, but not sure.
I had a new clutch kit installed 35,000 miles ago (2 and 1/2 years ago). I had it done at a small shop where the rest of my family goes, hoping to save a buck. I'm afraid that the shop may have put in cheap parts, and maybe they wore out?

I'll be taking it in to the Toyota dealer soon, but was hoping to get a good idea of what is wrong before I go in.

Ideas?
Any help appreciated!

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
It sounds like your problem may be something as simple as the clutch pedal bracket or one of the ball linkages being worn. I had a similar problem in my Toyota Mr2 with it popping out of reverse, it would actually push the shift rod out of the transmission because the ball was so worn it wouldnt seat anymore. If this is the case it isnt something the trans shop did. I would hesitate to bring it to the dealer being that they will charge you more money for the same job any ase cert. mech can do.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Could be simple as a shift linkage that needs adjusting, you don't want to know the other possiblities.

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
yeah, that was my first thought. I did some reading in the repair manual - there are no linkage adjustments neccesary or possible. It could be a worn ball linkage, like dirt_jumper suggested, I'll check into that. I have doubts that there is something internally wrong with the transmission, at least I hope so. As far as dealer vs. small shop, I have found that the dealers quote was very close for most repairs. Also with the dealer, I know I will be getting genuine Toyota parts and a solid warranty.

Thanks for the suggestions!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
This is a bit out of left feild, but my ford truck had issues with the pedal bushing wearing out. You had to replace them every 15k to keep it shifting smoothly.
It would present itself with the same symptoms you described.

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
I spent the day researching, and posted on a toyota board. The most likely diagnosis at this point is a worn out shift lever bushing & seat. It's about a $20.00 part, and an easy fix. The guy at the toyota parts dept. say's it's a very common problem. I'll replace it this weekend. Thanks for all of the help!