Quantcast

Any EMS monkeys out there???

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
This fall I'm starting at Lees-McRae College, which is right near Boone, which is the biggest ski town in NC. So I was thinking that I would work as a ski patrol for the night skiing sessions at one of the resorts. I've been told that EMS certification is required, but I can't find any info on how to get certified. I am already certified in CPR/AED-PR Lifeguarding/First Aid And O2 Admin-PR for my Lifeguarding job if that helps any. Where should I go and who should I talk to about becoming EMT-B certified?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
From state to state the requirements are different but first question aught to be how fast do you need this cert? If you need it last week then there are private companies, at least in SoCal, that will take your money and 2-3 weeks later spit you out an EMT cert, but thats usually 9 hrs of class work per day for those 2-3 weeks on top of the cost of a private class. Otherwise I'd look at the local community colleges. Down side to that path is that because of the economy most JCs are packed to the gills and getting a class will be tough.

Not saying that its impossible but given the time line I can't say with confidence if you'll have your EMT cert by the end of the season. There's paramedics who work for my department that were delayed 2 months just getting their cert because there was only one person doing the paperwork up at the state.

Jan 13, 2005
Park City,Utah
i patrol at a ski resort in utah, and we do not require that you have your basic. (you get paid more if you do though) but i was under the impression that all nsp (national ski patrol) resorts only require that you have an oec (out door emergency care witch is run by the nsp)

now i know someone is going to say well arent all resorts nsp affiliated, that i guess not i thought they all were but my friend who works at big sky said they were not so i dont know.( his resort does require a EMT-B)

as far as calling someone for class info call 1. your local fire department ( thats were i got mine) 2 local college 3 i beleive the department of transportation determines your state protocal so i guess you could call them.

with all you previous certs i think you will be fairly comfortable with the class. the most important thing you will learn is a good solid patient assessment (some will disagree but as a ski patroller you will mainly be first responding. especially as a rookie.)

but none the less these things very state to state so i might just be blowing smoke. enjoy patrolling its a great job :weee:

p.s here is some oec info from the nsp website http://www.nsp.org/EduPrograms/emergencycare.aspx

also at my resort we get paid more for being an basic but that does not mean you have a larger scope of practice than an oec cert patroller.

oh yeah one more thing once you start patrolling you can sign up for a pro form site called promotive and they have some bike stuff on there for cheap. its hard to get paid so little and maintain a nice bike and that site deffinitly helps me.

if you have any questions feel free to pm me. or if you come out utah way contact me and i can hook you up with some passes

Last edited:

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
I'm on the Rescue Squad in the neighboring county, and I have a bunch of friends on ski patrol at Appalachian. If you want to ski for them you have to go through their OEC course. Now if you come in with your basic(or higher) they will still require that you come to some trainings regarding how first aid is different on the mountain, and lift evacs and all that fun stuff. I don't know how Beech and Sugar run their programs, calling and asking might be your best bet. As for getting your basic, you can do the super condensed three week classes; which locally are run by landmark learning through WMI(which is a subsidiary of NOLS). Or the much cheaper, but longer, way is to go through local community college.

With the semester having started a few weeks ago most classes have already started, probably. But you can always call your local CC and ask if they have a class going on, and if they do get the instructors info, call them up and see if they have room for a latecomer. I would assume that your local CC might also have a summer course offered, that way you can get it out of the way so that when you get up here you can concentrate on your studies:D

Or you could just wait and take an OEC course through the mountain.

Hope that helped some. Let me know if I can help any more, I can ask around for you too.