Quantcast

Another "someone stole my bike" thread

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
So, yeah, someone stole the bike I ride to school on. Kind of surprising since it was locked to a bike rack on a fairly busy corner in a pretty safe town (Dartmouth Ave. in Claremont, CA) in the middle of the afternoon (sometime between 1-4pm). Unfortunately, I was using a cable lock because I figured nobody would steal it in this town and some of the bike racks I use are not set up to work with U-locks....so that is a lesson learned, I guess. I had that to think about as I enjoyed a lovely ~3.5 mile walk home last night.

In any case, the bike is pretty unique so maybe it'll turn up: Empella Bonfire CX frame (mostly white with red and blue), matching Al fork, Ultegra cranks and mechs, v-brakes and barcon shifters.

It sounds nicer than it is, as a lot of the parts were spares or really old (Ultegra stuff was from '98, frame maybe '02). The only relatively new parts on it were bar tape and shifters. I'm (almost) more pissed about the timing and inconvenience of this than actually losing the bike- finals start soon, still have classes, live a few miles from school and my fiancee uses the car most days. Balls. Now every time I see a person on a white bike pass me I go into street justice mode for half a second.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Check out pawn shops in the area, craigslist etc. If you have pictures take it to all the local bike shops and make/post flyers. Make sure to file a report with your local popo.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Sorry bro but keep in mind if you stay aware you "migh"t see it again.
My bike was jacked and 6 months later i saw some knucklehead riding it a few blocks from where it was lifted.
Just lets say i "recovered" it.....:D
Yeah, I sort of recovered a stolen bike once. My bike got jacked and then some clown took it into a local shop I went to pretty frequently. Too bad he had by that point taken off almost all the decent parts and replaced them with crap. At least I got something back.