Quantcast

Another dead EX823

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
chicodude01 said:
respect huh, you live within driving distrance to n* right?

what are ya doin on the forth o' august
4th of August? That would appear to be about one month after the 4th of July, and about one day before the 5th of August.

Also sounds like a great day to hit Northstar. Let's do it.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Awesome man, my Gemini DH just arrived today, so I'll finally be able to experience Northstar on a DH bike (instead of on my hardtail). Keep me posted.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I don't know what's worse... the fact that everyone seems to kill these rims, or that people still choose to run them even though everyone kills them.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Rik said:
I don't know what's worse... the fact that everyone seems to kill these rims, or that people still choose to run them even though everyone kills them.
Well.. New product, someone's gotta be the guinea pig for 'em. In theory they're good, so you buy 'em, wreck one, assume its a fluke, buy another, wreck it... Maybe wreck the other wheel too, and all of a sudden you've destroyed 3 of the same rim when you only replaced one damaged rim (it's not like you're buying 'em over and over even though they break).

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Yep, it was @ N* yesterday, Mavic DID warranty the last one and I had them send me a 729:D, I will do the samething again. It just really sucks!!!!!! I love the idea of a UST rim, but wish they could make them more durable. Mavic just needs to make a 729 UST:thumb: So since its not leaking any air, I'll tighten the loose spokes and ride it @ N* this sat. Than goodness I'll have a back up set of 823 wheels with me:thumb:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
WestCoastHucker said:
i just don't understand these problems, i have a friend that rides Tunnel Trail in SB very regularly and he has never had a problem.....
It sounds like your friend is very smooth then, that trail is brutal on rims.

I think northstar is a little more jagged than tunnel and the rocks are granite which is much harder than the sandstone on tunnel.

I'm riding Tunnel after work today actually :love:

Zark said:
It sounds like your friend is very smooth then, that trail is brutal on rims................I'm riding Tunnel after work today actually :love:
he really isn't that smooth, i am just baffled at the inconcistancies (sp?) in their strength........ i've seen some explode when you just say "DH", and i've seen some ask for more without wincing.....

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
I don't get this! I've been riding a set a d3.1's for 2 years now with NO problems! I built the wheels as soon as those rims became available, could quality control have gone downhill that much in the last year? I've stacked up some fairly large drops and the rims are still fine. Go figure.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
dexterq20 said:
You rat bastard...
And Northstar on Saturday :devil:

And Downieville Sunday :evil:

How's the Gemini coming dude? If its ready this weekend you should go to Gnar* with me.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Well, I hope I'm not jinxing myself but so far my 823s have held up with no issues and that includes a trip to Bootleg Canyon which puts even N* to shame.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
WestCoastHucker said:
i just don't understand these problems, i have a friend that rides Tunnel Trail in SB very regularly and he has never had a problem.....
The rocks are bigger and more jagged than Tunnel, and yes I do know that trail and have been riding Tunnel since 1993.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I never had any problems with my old d3.1s which I ran for about a year. Have just ordered some 823s to give my GT sometubeless luvvin'.