Quantcast

Another Darn Tire Thread

lowside67

Chimp
Sep 30, 2008
Hey guys,

Please dont crucify me for bringing this up, I've spent the better part of an hour searching for some answers and havent found them.

I am building a "free-ride lite" Santa Cruz Bullit and need to pick some tires out. I ride in Vancouver's rain all the time on the shore, wet traction is very important to me. I also would like to be able to run a bit less pressure for that reason.

I was all set to pick up some 2.35 Nevegals with the wire bead, however, they are SO heavy that I am reconsidering. 1190g is a bit ridiculous.

How do we feel about the Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 and DHR 2.35 in the soft 42 durometer compound?

Thanks,
Mark

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
FYI, a Maxxis measures more like a 2.1. I run Maxxis DHF 2.5's on my dh and trail bike (3c compound). They're a bit heavy for trail bike (6" travel f/b), but I have not flatted and they give good traction in the wet northeast. I ran Nevegals last year on both bikes and happily went back to Minions for '08.

EDIT: I would like to try the new Maxxis Ardents in the mud, they have more of an open tread compared to the DHF's.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Ardent doesn't have very big knobs though. I'd be worried about that being an issue in mud.

I don't like the Nevegal much in mud. Maxxis Wet Screams are without a doubt the best mud tire I've ever tried. They suck ass for anything else though.

lowside67

Chimp
Sep 30, 2008
For me I'm actually more concerned with wet roots/rocks than heavy mud. Does that change anything?

bullitman

Chimp
Sep 15, 2008
I'm running a Maxxis Minion Dh 60a 2.35 in rear and a Michelin AM 2.2 in front for all around use and like this set-up.But when going to shuttle land I run 2.5 Tomac DH.my 1/2c. worth.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Specialized Chunders with an Enduro casing. They'll hold up fantastically, are WAY lighter than a DH casing, and track better than a Maxxis High Roller.

The only downside? They roll slightly slower than a High Roller due to the extra knobs.

lowside67

Chimp
Sep 30, 2008
Yeah we are exclusively shuttlewhores. That said, I do prefer the feeling and responsiveness of a lighter set of tires.

So if Nevegals are the way to go for me - 2.35s? 2.35 wires? 2.35UST?

bullitman

Chimp
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah we are exclusively shuttlewhores. That said, I do prefer the feeling and responsiveness of a lighter set of tires.

So if Nevegals are the way to go for me - 2.35s? 2.35 wires? 2.35UST?
Shuttle use only DH CASING only way to roll....