Quantcast

Another BoXXer WC question, sticky stanky's.

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
After my bike has been sitting for days, when i go to compress the fork it doesnt want to move, almost like something in the lower legs is blocking it from moving. Once i lube the dust seals with triflow its butter. Is this normal? Do i need to replace my seals? i heard enduro fox seals work well.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
You need a rebuild. Go to Mtbcut.tv, and scroll down on the videos. It'll have a link to a Boxxer rebuild. Really simple to do. If you can't find it that easy, it is under the tech section.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
All the info you need about rebuilding your fork is on the sram site, including all oil types and volumes. If your seals are not leaking, then they are OK. When the fork sits, the oil drains to the bottom, so the seals and bushings will be a bit sticky (you might be a bit low on oil as well).

The oil in the lowers is just for lubrication of the bushings and just about anything can be used from redrum (overpriced torco assembly lube), to thick (15 wt +) fork oil, to synthetic motor oil (10-40 or so). I have a quart of Mobil 1 that I have used for this type of lube for years. The fork takes 15cc each side (not much).

Definately pack the space between the wiper and seal with some thin grease. Slick honey works well.

norcalbiker

Chimp
Jul 15, 2007
Time for a rebuild. Enduro's work well. Use some slick honey on the wipers fill with the proper amount of oil, youll be good as new

my freind taylor calvert had enduros on his boxxer and said they have a **** load of stiction. who else has feedback on these?

djb

Monkey
Apr 6, 2006
VanCity
I was told by my shop tech that Marzocchi oil seals work wonders on Boxxer forks. I'll be throwing in a set when I rebuild my World Cup. You still need the other Rock Shox seals though.

boozy1976

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
world-euro-ger-bavaria-munich
to get rid of sticky stanchions,
just turn the bike round(on handlebars and saddle)
for a night before riding/racing it...
i have a shed where my bike hangs with the rearwheel up on a hook.
i had never sticky stanchies since then

BTW: lube the dustseals with BRUNOX