Quantcast

Am I nuts?

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
I just bought a new Fox F29 fork from a EBay seller in Taiwan. Killer deal, less than $500 shipped for a brand-new F29 with 15QR and tapered steerer. The clincher was that it has G2 geometry which I require for the custom Black Cat singlespeed 29er I'm having built for my 50th birthday.

The upside is that the seller has 100% positive feedback and over 11,000 transactions.

Still, I'm a little freaked out by the overseas thing.

What say the Monkies?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
As a trials rider, I order a lot of stuff from asia. Experiences are 80% good and 20% okay. The bitch is if you want to return something for refund, it can be a significant portion of the purchase price.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
If you have a CC funding your paypal, you can do a chargeback if the sale goes completely tits up. If you have a bank account link, paypal just take the money out of your account and you have no recourse. Paypal plays verification as a security measure, but it's really to stick the users with the losses while they get the profits. You can also create a second bank account but that a pain to manage.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
If you have a CC funding your paypal, you can do a chargeback if the sale goes completely tits up. If you have a bank account link, paypal just take the money out of your account and you have no recourse. Paypal plays verification as a security measure, but it's really to stick the users with the losses while they get the profits. You can also create a second bank account but that a pain to manage.
Pretty much what I thought. I've detached my CC so I could pay it down. Luckily, I don't use Paypal very much...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I bought a set of rearsets from a guy in Thailand. A week later, I got this sweet Obama shirt in the mail from Thailand. I was confused, but ok. When my rearsets hadn't shown up on week 2, I sent the guy an email.

Turns out he send my $200 rearsets to someone else and sent me their $20 Obama shirt. He refunded my money and I kept the sweet shirt. Only time I've bought anything of value from overseas via ebay.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah but that's the only reason, yeah? I've got my pay pal account attached to a secondary bank account I barely use, but only use that option sending money to people I know. I CC it if it's a rando.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Yeah but that's the only reason, yeah? I've got my pay pal account attached to a secondary bank account I barely use, but only use that option sending money to people I know. I CC it if it's a rando.
You give up the chargeback option. This is the one thing that actually gets the attention of scammers and paypal, as the CC company TAKES the money away from paypal and charges them additional fees. Then they go after the scammer.

Example: You buy a nice $600 fork from someone from your back account. They ship it to you and it's a jacked 2005 Judy. Paypal doesn't give a flying fvck, there's proof of delivery and it's a fork. That's all they care about, they don't get any more detailed than that. So you get screwed.

With a CC, throw the sh!t in a box and ship it back, provide the proof of delivery to paypal and CC, then CC company extracts your money from Paypal.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Considering how nervous it made you, was it worth it and would you do it again?
pssst, link me to this taiwan ebay seller.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've bought a few bike parts from Taiwan. Pretty sure they are gray market seconds from the factory.
I sold a bike to a buyer in Taiwan and shipped it to an address in Cali. Skethcy for sure but it all worked out.