Quantcast

Am I Being Silly To Comapre A Demo 9 To BMW Race Link?

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Well, the BMW would cost only a bit more here, I can't ride them :angry: so I have to ask for views here.

They do the same thing but which one (if anyone has any experience) pedals better, feels better etc?

Post your views and whatever.

Maybe I'm asking too much; slap me if I am.

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
Well, I can't really answer the "which is better" part, but I certainly can take a guess at which bike would make me get up at night to pet it and see its not cold, hungry, missing either of its chains or anything.

;)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
hmmm... i was just contemplating a racelink vs v10 thread; i allready have the v10 - just trying to rationalise replacing it with the bmw. both frames are technically cool, but the link has a certain je ne sais crois that elevates it to lust object status.

on a related note - anyone know how the one-size 22.5" tt bmw fits a larger (6'-1") rider?

aand... what does the frame ACTUALLY weight (without cranks, but with shock, jackshaft, etc).

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by xy9ine
hmmm... i was just contemplating a racelink vs v10 thread; i allready have the v10 - just trying to rationalise replacing it with the bmw. both frames are technically cool, but the link has a certain je ne sais crois that elevates it to lust object status.

on a related note - anyone know how the one-size 22.5" tt bmw fits a larger (6'-1") rider?

aand... what does the frame ACTUALLY weight (without cranks, but with shock, jackshaft, etc).

1lb more than the V10 I believe.

I'm 6'1" (closer to 6'2) and sat on the Race Link and felt very comfortable. If you don't, you can get special layback posts etc. but to me it felt great.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Originally posted by Horrendous Hack
1lb more than the V10 I believe.

I'm 6'1" (closer to 6'2) and sat on the Race Link and felt very comfortable. If you don't, you can get special layback posts etc. but to me it felt great.
you already sat on one and are still thinking about it?
dayum get one... :) ;)

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Susppose I should. But there has been alot of hype about the Demo.
the demo seems to be a nice enough bike i pedaled one around on a parking lot and rode down a fireroad on it.
pedals well and all, but its just a complicated solution for a 4 bar.

if the brooklyn is only a small amount more expensive then why not go for the bike that will make all the other people jealous and finally join the cult of all those weirdos who ride these bikes ;)

you know what i am talking about chromegodess :D
(the last sentence was not part of my totally useless online advice based on no riding time on a BMW and about 10 minutes on a demo9)

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Well, the BMW would cost only a bit more here, I can't ride them :angry: so I have to ask for views here.

They do the same thing but which one (if anyone has any experience) pedals better, feels better etc?

Post your views and whatever.

Maybe I'm asking too much; slap me if I am.
kinda off topic, but have you checked out clifcat ?
they have a frame that is very similar to the brooklyn, including the jackshaft system. Main diference being an aluminum front triangle

Universe

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Courtenay, BC
Originally posted by UiUiUiUi
the demo seems to be a nice enough bike i pedaled one around on a parking lot and rode down a fireroad on it.
pedals well and all, but its just a complicated solution for a 4 bar.

if the brooklyn is only a small amount more expensive then why not go for the bike that will make all the other people jealous and finally join the cult of all those weirdos who ride these bikes ;)

(the last sentence was not part of my totally useless online advice based on no riding time on a BMW and about 10 minutes on a demo9)
It's not complicated. Its no different than any 4 bar.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Originally posted by Universe
It's not complicated. Its no different than any 4 bar.
exactly. just the shock is activated via the chainstay rather than the swing link.

ps - do you know colin burke (ex-s8 riding victoria alumni)?

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Originally posted by UiUiUiUi
...then why not go for the bike that will make all the other people jealous and finally join the cult of all those weirdos who ride these bikes ;)

aahaha uiuiuiui. you knew i was lurking around in here...trying desperately to refrain from comment. can't......help myself .....any....l - l - l - longer...brooklynbrooklynbrooklyn. ahhhh, feel much better now. ;)

HH, i strongly suggest you phone in any questions you might have for brooklyn because they (eh-hem) aren't at their best in the email department. i hope you can find one of each bike to try on a mountain sometime. bikes are like shoes and we all know manolo blahnik's aren't for everyone.

good luck on your decision.

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
My friend has one and it is one of the best pedaling DH bikes made. No pedal bob at all. He also has a park bike and the link bike feels the same just with 8.5 inches of travel. He is a pic of his link bike ready for race season.

Attachments

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Straight up, the Demo is going to have better suspension.
Is the geometry of either right for you? That's your decision.
The BMW definitely has some unique flavor, which is sometimes enough to make the decision.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Sideways
Straight up, the Demo is going to have better suspension.
Is the geometry of either right for you? That's your decision.
The BMW definitely has some unique flavor, which is sometimes enough to make the decision.
And you think that the suspension on an FSR with a 5th type shock is going to be better than a rearward-path moto-link type bike with an avalanche? Can I smoke some too?

S.n.a.k.e.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
N. Tonawanda, NY
Originally posted by roee
Well, I can't really answer the "which is better" part, but I certainly can take a guess at which bike would make me get up at night to pet it and see its not cold, hungry, missing either of its chains or anything.

;)
GET UP? I think I would just have to turn over.

Then again if I bought one, it would have to be next to me on the couch, as my wife would be occupying the bed alone.

Cheers,

Marc

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by S.n.a.k.e.
GET UP? I think I would just have to turn over.

Then again if I bought one, it would have to be next to me on the couch, as my wife would be occupying the bed alone.

Cheers,

Marc
Daily feedings of oil. Sleep with the frame or put it in the spare room with a baby listen in radio thing. Ride it around, take it to the cinema.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Daily feedings of oil. Sleep with the frame or put it in the spare room with a baby listen in radio thing. Ride it around, take it to the cinema.
visit its family on the holidays.... errr i dont think doc will like that :D

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
... have Mini Links running all across your house, dripping oil from their chains... "daddy, daddy, he's pulling on my chain!!" :D

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by roee
... have Mini Links running all across your house, dripping oil from their chains... "daddy, daddy, he's pulling on my chain!!" :D
LoL, the Race-link will become the woman when the Hitman is released. Have a mini link and they will be a happy family.

i can tuck them in at night.

Read them Dirt magazine show them videoss of DH world cups and MTB vids. Take them out to dinner.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
bmw is teh fastAr

the demo is a cool looking bike, but the bmw has 10 times the coolness because not only does is look crazy, but it actually is a different type of suspension set-up rather then just a revised one, oh yeah...i dought youll see anyone on the trail with the same bike. nor will you have any super young, misguided teens coming up to you asking how you like riding the best bike in the world.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by Swine
bmw is teh fastAr

the demo is a cool looking bike, but the bmw has 10 times the coolness because not only does is look crazy, but it actually is a different type of suspension set-up rather then just a revised one, oh yeah...i dought youll see anyone on the trail with the same bike. nor will you have any super young, misguided teens coming up to you asking how you like riding the best bike in the world.
I was riding on a friends Big Hit and a kid came up and asked me how many gears it had. I suffocated him put him in a bin pag and chucked into the river Thames. Well actually I didn't but I gave him the evils.

Kids would still come up to me and go 'That's well nice man, wheres the motor?' *thump*

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
too funny with the cradle-radio and reading dirt to little bikey, visiting the family and sleeping on the couch cuz wifey don't like bikey.

confessional: i slept with my tmx when it first came home. but but but...just look at it....wouldn't you have done the same?

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by chromegoddess
too funny with the cradle-radio and reading dirt to little bikey, visiting the family and sleeping on the couch cuz wifey don't like bikey.

confessional: i slept with my tmx when it first came home. but but but...just look at it....wouldn't you have done the same?
Oh look at it, its beautiful and its all grown up.

I actually would sleep with the Race-link frame beside me. Hugging it definsively but with TLC. lol

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany

holy ****! :D

did the same with my canfield, shared the couch while watching TV

Attachments

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I KNEW IT!!! you're just a crazy as the rest of us uiuiuiui.

so relived i'm not the only one who has slept with their bike.

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
I KNEW IT!!! you're just a crazy as the rest of us uiuiuiui.

so relived i'm not the only one who has slept with their bike.
Your bike had more fun, though :D

sguhrofst8

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Columbia, MD
Just bought a Demo 9 Pro. Its one of the best FR/DH bikes I have pedaled. I find it similar, a little bit, to the V10. It's real stable, corners great and not super heavy.
At least I think, everyone will always have different opinions. anyway, I got a sweet deal on it.

As far as the pedal thing, by pumping up the shock and using that in combination w/ specialized suspension design does eliminate a good bit of the bob.

anyone else have a 888? what are your thoughts so far?

--z--

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Jm_
And you think that the suspension on an FSR with a 5th type shock is going to be better than a rearward-path moto-link type bike with an avalanche? Can I smoke some too?
the proof is in the pudding. in other words all the buzzwords in the world can be overshadowed by geometry and general execution. having ridden neither of the two bikes i can't comment directly.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
I tried a couple of BMW's and have to say they are an incredible ride.They definatly are addictive.I'm 6'1 and the bike fit me great.If you can pull it off go for it.The laid back post is not needed,just go with a Thompson and crank it up,they have a low standover height.