Quantcast

Alternatives to running a rear maxle?

dylan s

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
Are there any other axles you can run on bikes that use maxles? Rear end is 150x20. Obviously there are no pinch bolts to keep it tight.

Any suggestions?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
They are 150x12mm sorry can't remember the thread pitch, I use a steel bolt in my Corsair frame, it's so heavy you can't notice a difference. My Nicolai came with a really well made bolt that has a relief between the thread and the plain shank which is needed on an alloy bolt. I think Superstar or someone similar made one.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Are there any other axles you can run on bikes that use maxles? Rear end is 150x20. Obviously there are no pinch bolts to keep it tight.

Any suggestions?
I wish I knew of an alternative.
My Maxle Lite is made of porcelain or something. I just broke my 2nd one by overtightening it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hahaha you are doing well to break two just doing them up, you don't need to do them up very tight if it is set up correctly.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
FTW had some aluminum axles made for his FB-10's. They were originally set up for Maxles, so they're the same thread pitch and 150X12. Maybe contact him to see if he has any more?

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hahaha you are doing well to break two just doing them up, you don't need to do them up very tight if it is set up correctly.
By overtightening, I mean tightening so that the lever doesn't rattle while I ride.

I would rather have a thru axle. It's not like I'm changing flats half way down a run.

The things aren't cheap either.