Quantcast

Alternative to Truvative Howitzer style bottom bracket for Holzfeller cranks?

nnamssorxela

Chimp
Oct 19, 2009
Howdy,

My current bottom bracket (howitzer I believe) is on it's way out. I want something that will last and I don't mind paying a little extra for it. If it is just going to poop out on me after a couple of rides or a year or so though, I don't want to pay a lot for it. My problem is that my research shows that the truvativ crank/bottom bracket design is different than all of the other ISIS designs and will only accept a truvativ bottom bracket. Is this correct? Other research and experience shows that that Truvativ bearings don't work so well. Are there any other options out there that are made by a third party? The nicest "truvativ DH gigapipe" bb has terrible reviews as well. What should I buy/do?

Thanks,
-Alex

nnamssorxela

Chimp
Oct 19, 2009
Thanks for the info. I determined that is what I'm sticking with. Waiting for the new sprocket to measure some stuff. What is the third number in the bottom bracket sizing, and do I need to remove all of the shims before I measure for it?
-Alex

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
There are usually only 2 numbers, unless they listed the thread pitch, which is standardized on modern mountain bikes. Can I get an example of what you're talking about?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Oh, ok. the 68/73 means it'll work on either 68 or 73mm shells. The last number is the spindle length. Just measure your old one.

nnamssorxela

Chimp
Oct 19, 2009
Will the stock one have this measurement on it? When I eyeballed my chain line with the new sprocket it looked pretty close, but if I could manage to move it a millimeter or less in the correct direction it would be about perfect.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If you have 68/73 bb, how about some stylos? I've had great luck with mine. 200 w gear and ride hard, put bike away wet a lot here in the NW.
I've seen 'em for around $100. Good cranks, and you'll save a lot of weight.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i would not spend another dime on any tapered crankset design: ISIS, octalink, BB30, or whatever but that's just me. shimano (and pinch-bolt FSAs) are where it's at. run the truvativs to the ground and get a deore for $90ish, then enjoy peace of mind.