Quantcast

Alternative tire choice

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I need to start looking for a set of tires for my move back to South Korea in November. My favourite combination for pushing up and ripping down is Muddy Mary front with a Minion 60A rear for dry to moderate wet conditions and Swampthings for moderate to wet, even in the dry I love the Swampthings.

Trouble is for current riding in Dubai I have lightned up my Delirium with a Lyrik SA and my Vivid coil, will soon be changed for a Vector HLR. I have Minion Exo's fitted toobless and this complete setup is a blast to ride. My concern is that I have run Minion Exo's in damp to wet conditions and I creamed my shorts they were so sketch on rocks and roots. The Minions also choke up a bit with the sticky clay like soil of Korea. For South Africa where the dirt is far more sandy I will ride Minions all day long.

What I am looking for is a tire combination that can be set up toobless, is relatively light, can handle a change in conditions, give good front wheel grip but will give durabilty in the rear(there will be a fair amount of miles on tarmac). I would like to continue my current training of milage rides mixed with DH and FR days. To get to the trails in Korea I need to do about 6-8 miles of tarmac.

Out of the Schwalbe range I only like the MMs, the reast just dont wear very well to me. Sticky front minion and 60A rear is a favourite of mine but I will be stuck to dual ply. I dont like High Rollers since that dont last very long for me. I havent tried any Continentals and I am wondering if a Rubber Queen rear with a Baron or MM front is the way to go.

In a nut shell I am looking for a DH riders tire for all purpose riding and I am kind of stuck at the moment.