Quantcast

All-mountain/XC bikes, Rocky mountain vs. Trek?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So I currently own a Specialized bighit FSR '05 almost completely pimped out, its my Downhill bike/freeride bike. And now that I work at a shop, and can get a killer deal on any one bike I want a year, I'm looking into getting my self an All-mountain bike thats light, pedals well (since I'm used to FSR), and can handle rough up and downs. This bike would also be a commute bike for about 10 miles to work until I can get money for a road bike. Also, if I deside the bike handles well enough, I wouldnt mind being able to throw some gnarly downhill and freeride stuff at it, and maybe even have it replace my bighit for a few things like Dirt jumps *The bighit blows for DJs* and what not.

Anyhow, here are the two bikes.

The Trek Fuel EX 9

Features:
Fox Talas RL fork
Fox Float RP23 shock
SRAM X9 Shifter
SRAM X0 Rear Derailleur
Shimano XT cranks
Avid Juicy 7 brakes

Travel:
Front- 90-130mm
Rear- 120mm

Price tag- Roughly $3500 MSRP

The Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC 90

Features:
FOX 36 TALAS II RC2 fork
FOX DHX air 5.0 shock
SRAM X0 shifters
SRAM X0 rear derailleur
Raceface Atlas X-type cranks
Avid Juicy 7 brakes
Carbon stays

Travel:
Front- adjustable 100, 130, or 160mm
Rear- 152mm

Price tag- Roughly $4500 MSRP

Now I know the rocky mountain isnt super fair to compare to the trek, since it is a grand more (well, for thoughs who dont work at a shop) but I havent ridden one yet and wanted to see what people think. I have however ridden the Trek EX 8, the lower version, and loved it overall and was very pleased with how it handled.

Again, if I do purchase one of the bikes, and it becomes a better bike for anything I do on my bighit, I'll be very happy...since they are both so much lighter. My main intent on the bike is for an AM and XC bike, since the bighit is slow, and I would like to put some slicks on it and commute.

koffee

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
I bought a new 06 Slayer last winter for 1800$. EMS has blowout deals after the season is over. I actually owned both bike ( Still have the slayer) and thought the Fuel was better for XC and the slayer is more of a true All Mountain/ Light Freeride bike.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm sure either would be a fine bike, I've always been turned off by RM's pricing though. There are so many other bikes with comparable build quality and spec for much less money. I rode a couple of GF Sugars several years ago,which used to be very similar to the Trek Fuel in geometry and functionality, I loved the Sugar and probably would have bought either that or a Fuel if I'd had the money a few years ago. Now I don't really ride enough to justify another bike so I just try to be content with what I have.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
hmm alright thanks...both the bikes are really appealing to me. The Trek because its, like Koffee said, a true XC bike...not to mention it has solid components and its new linkage pedals great. And the Rocky mountain because It doesnt seem like it would hold me back for when I'am riding XC, and I can just go off the trail and huck when my heart desires...which of course is appealing, because you never know what you're going to find. Plus it seems like it would be able to tackle DJs well compared to my bighit to hold me over till I get a hardtail.

I like the trek for XC, but I keep thinking...if I do get the rocky mountain, than I could likely turn my bighit into a full on downhill rig, and ride the slayer on anything else I like.

Edit: P.S. Kornphlake, what bike do you use as your "all around" bike? I've been considering selling my bighit for something like an SX trail...

koffee

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
I'm sure either would be a fine bike, I've always been turned off by RM's pricing though.
True Rocky's are not the cheapest, but they seem right on par with Santa Cruz, Intense, ETC. Just my opinion. And like I said if you are patient you really can find the right deal.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I can get Santa cruz, Specialized, Gary Fisher, Rocky Mountain, and Trek at a good price, but I like the trek and Rocky Mountain best.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Yeah I cant figure out what sort of Santa cruz I would want...and that slayer is so damn sexy looking...haha.

If I do buy the slayer, and deside I like it...and that its strong enough, I may sell my bighit.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
pinkshirt...incase you didnt realize what I'm saying...my shop sells specific companies, companies that I listed already, and I can only purchase thoughs at cost...so why would I look at a commencal when I can buy another bike at like 50% less?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Edit: P.S. Kornphlake, what bike do you use as your "all around" bike? I've been considering selling my bighit for something like an SX trail...
I've got an old school Diamond Back Sorrento SE hardtail, my sister bought it back in 98 or 99 and gave it to me after it sat around in her garage for about 6 years, it's about 2 sizes too small for real XC which makes it a very comfortable commuter or trail bike for me, it's sized almost the same as my Yeti AS-X that does dh/fr and heavy AM duty. I've got a BMX for urban but it honestly doesn't get enough use to justify the space it takes up in the garage.

I'm at the point in my life where being competitive isn't really feasible because I've got a full time job, 2 kids and a pregnant wife, and we just bought a house that needs a fair amount of work. With all the responsibilities I have I don't have enough time to dedicate to cycling. I'm a weekend warrior at best so an old XC bike with a 1" threaded headset and a fork that doesn't have oil damping really isn't slowing me down that much. If I am riding at a city park or commuting the hardtail is my bike of choice because of weight and pedaling efficiency, not to mention that the QR fork is a whole lot easier to get onto my roof rack. If I'm riding a trail that has more downhill or if I've got all day to push when the trail gets too steep to pedal I'll take my AS-X. Over the last 3 years I've spent about $100 on tubes, cables and a set of cheap commuter lights, which is okay, while I'm still passionate about bikes I'm okay with being the old guy who shows up at the trailhead with old gear and brings up the back of the group, for me riding the wrong bike on the wrong trail is still riding and it's almost as much fun as riding the right bike.

I won't discourage you from buying a new bike, when I was in college I could have ridden a XC, AM, FR, DH and road bike enough to justify one of each, back then I could have ridden a hardtail XC bike a lot faster than a porky FR bike, I'm sure you are at a point in your life where you can too if it is really important to you. The way I see it though is that a lot of guys get so excited about the whole buying another bike thing, they spend more time figuring out exactly what bike to buy than they will actually spend riding the bike.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
sorry didnt read your whole post. i heard on the rumor mill that commencal will be available through bti.
stop the hype. i've ridden a couple commencals now. not interesting at all.

out of your choices, i'd say the trek is your best choice. sure i'd rather not have either. but working with both from other shops. trek is a better brand to deal with. and their bike specs are pretty decent.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
stop the hype. i've ridden a couple commencals now. not interesting at all.
Muddy, it's not a hype, it's the holy truth! Seriously, I got a Meta 4x after two of my buddys were raving of theirs. They track and pedal exceptionally well, better than the VPP according to one of them who also owns a Nomad. They track so good that they might feel a bit dead when doing a parkinglot test, but once on the trail they fly!

Of those brands you listed I know the Blur 4x is a super sick do-it-all bike. A guy I know had been riding Foes Flys for years (and loving them) and then swiched to a Blur and loved it even more. Super fun and playable, he said. Used it for trail, Whistler and a lot of jumping. Versatile.

Generally, I recomend you getting a 4x bike for using to all those things you prescribed. Specialized has one to, the SX I think, dunno about the other manufacturers.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
yeah I'm still thinking about what i want...no rush really though.

I just need to get on some bikes and ride them around.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Regarding a SXT, I personally don't think you would regret selling your BH and getting one. I love mine, and rarely ride my D9 these days. Days at the Shore and at Whistler are always nice on a big bike, but 95% of the time I'm riding local trails where the Enduro can handle everything.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
the lovely thing, is i dont have to sell anything to buy a bike now that I work at a shop...so w/e I get may become my new and only bike, till i get a hardtail.