Quantcast

Airoh Fighets Helmet

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hey Monkeys
Some dipshit stole my helmet in Les 2 Alpes late this summer and while I have a temporary borrowed helmet I'm thinking about getting something new.

Has anyone heard anything about the Airoh fighters helmet? Also any good MTB (I really need good ventilation since with long hair it gets hot easy) helmets <350-400$ ? Don't have to be light, just well ventilated, not super cheap but also not super expensive and not Poc (had 2, very good but want something new) and not Urge (jesus those are rubbish).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Definitely Urge.

I'm kinda curious about those 6D helmets from a ventilation perspective. I haven't seen one of the airohs in person. Their moto helmets look like an ax face.
Jesus I'd rather ride with a rats ass on my head than ride in another Urge product.

6D got an MBA award which only tells me it's good on the uphills and is almost as good as the heckler. Their mtb helmets seems very much like an mx helmet.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Fer a guy who hates writing reviews, you are remarkably good at it.
One of the best, if not the best review I have read in quite some time.
Well done that man.

Now that teh brown-nosing be done - Get offa my lawn :shakefist:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Suomy MX helmet is a DAMN nice helmet. Really light, REALLY well ventilating (to the point where it's noticeably louder when riding the moto with it). And I recall reading that it may have the same original factory manufacturer as the Airoh, or same mold, or some such thing.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
So basically a shoot out between a Ruh-Roh Figgets and an Ixiss Zult (not ASS-equipped).

What kind of weird insectile-alien-euros are producing these things and can you even buy them here (Merica)? (The helmets, I mean.)

Not going to bother Googling but the Ruh-Rohs look terrible on those Erzberg racers.

Good review Woo, hope the ad-purchasers think so too.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Kinda weird timing but I did just submit this last night. It IS a pretty well ventilated thing.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Full-Face-Helmets,52/iXS/Xult,15942#product-reviews/2167/expand

expand it to read it
Oh thanks it looks really good. Hell I might even possibly be able to try it before I buy it and avoid the awful urge thing where the helmet chin was 0.5cm from my actual chin. Not a safe feeling.

Great review too. I really like reading your reviews.

So INXS and Ruh Roh. It's also good that both of them have at least one paintjob that doesn't look like a 2002 TLD knock off (though TLD still does it). I still don't get why most bike and moto helmets look exactly the same. I know there are like 5 good graphic designers in the whole industry but it shouldn't be that hard. Just do what poc did and try a bit harder.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
So INXS and Ruh Roh. It's also good that both of them have at least one paintjob that doesn't look like a 2002 TLD knock off (though TLD still does it). I still don't get why most bike and moto helmets look exactly the same. I know there are like 5 good graphic designers in the whole industry but it shouldn't be that hard. Just do what poc did and try a bit harder.
Agreed. And all of them are a LEGO rip off. People in proper TLD-FOX-ION-INXS-choose-any gear in bike parks look like the tiny danish heroes from my 80s childhood :weee:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Agreed. And all of them are a LEGO rip off. People in proper TLD-FOX-ION-INXS-choose-any gear in bike parks look like the tiny danish heroes from my 80s childhood :weee:
I actually like bright colors and they make sense if you want your photos in the woods to look good. I have the problem with helmets filled with a mess random stripes, zgizags and lines. It's messy and makes it look like your helmet was painted by someone with turettes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a transfer 9, and the ventillation is shit. It's a great helmet, super high quality and it looks good too, but the difference between my old Giro Remedy and this is night and day. The full 9 has the same ventillation system, so if that's a priority, I would probably advise against it.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I actually like bright colors and they make sense if you want your photos in the woods to look good. I have the problem with helmets filled with a mess random stripes, zgizags and lines. It's messy and makes it look like your helmet was painted by someone with turettes.
That's quite OK. I still like my LEGO too.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I like your bloody knuckles and gloveless riding style. Really says "I DGAF"
Destroyed a synovial bursa above my kneecap 2 months before that pic was taken. Was not able to wear knee protection for like 6 months. You can see the result...

But I have to admit I seldom did and do on my non-DH rides

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I have a transfer 9, and the ventillation is shit. It's a great helmet, super high quality and it looks good too, but the difference between my old Giro Remedy and this is night and day. The full 9 has the same ventillation system, so if that's a priority, I would probably advise against it.
I believe the full 9 has an extra vent and a little better brow ventilation, but I am sure that makes just a minor difference Haha.

-Brett

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Please do report back. I was bummed the first time I took it out, but the fit/finish/quality is otherwise very good. It's not a problem while moving, it's just that I noticed it very much when I got to the bottom of the trail.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Im also thinking about the new 100% helmet but it is a bit pricey. Still wonder about the airoh though

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah it's really comfy and I didn't have to do any weird shit to it to make it work.

I could see myself getting another one after this. In BLACK!!!

Look at the picture of it on my head though. It's gone kind of the opposite way of a lot of other helmets with a chinbar that doesn't stick out into the next county. If you have..........how do I put this..........a lot of face......that bar might be a little too close for you. I don't mind it at all and I've slammed directly into it a few times and haven't hit my jaw. Everybody's head is different though. For a helmet I never got to try on, this one ended up fitting me really well.

I'm still really curious about that 6D. I wish I'd looked at it a little closer when I had a chance a few months ago.
Fuggin pricey though.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
For people who care too much about how your silly bike helmets look when you're riding alone in the woods, this is basically what you look like to EVERYONE else:

So don't worry about it...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
For people who care too much about how your silly bike helmets look when you're riding alone in the woods, this is basically what you look like to EVERYONE else:

So don't worry about it...
I don't care how other people see me when I ride my bike. I'm just annoyed by crappy or lazy design. It's not hard to create a good looking helmet and since it costs a lot I expect some effort. That's it. I know it's a silly reason but I firmly believe everything should be made to look good or at least decent. It's not hard and it makes fewer things look like a PT Cruiser.

cwrender

Chimp
Sep 30, 2008
I suppose I am a little late to the party but perhaps someone will search for the Airoh Fighters helmet in the future so for what its worth:
I own this Helmet since about 2 month and will give a short feedback:
- Weight: Size M (58cm) was weighted at 925g
- Ventilation: Way better than THE the One, THE T2, TLD D2, TLD D3 or POC. Only slightly worse ventilation than on a Urge Archi-Enduro. The Airoh has better cooling on the upper Head than the Urge but worse on the cheeks pads. Having 0.5" long hair I tape the upper Ventilation openings under 10°C when downhilling what I never had to do with a ff-helmet before even when riding in -10°C.
- Craftmanship: Better as all helmets listed before. The chinguard has a very hard protector foam inside instead of the soft foam rubber often used (think of Sas-Tec foam with double hardness). Cheek pads are clipped in instead of fixed with velcro.
- Sizing: Similar to Urge and THE
- Breathability: The chin bar is fairly close to the chin (about 1.5" to 2") for me but has large openings.
- Fit: Slim fit (not the best choice for people who prefer Fox, Giro or Bell); similar fit to THE or Urge.
- Brace compatibility: As I am riding without brace I cant comment on that front (but seems to be designed to be used with a brace).
- Goggles: As I need to ride with glasses my goggles tend to be on the larger side of the spectrum.
I had no problems with both of my oakley OTG goggles (L-frame and Proven).

For Europeans: Sometimes can be bought for less than 250€ when on sale from german and austrian shops.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I suppose I am a little late to the party but perhaps someone will search for the Airoh Fighters helmet in the future so for what its worth:
I own this Helmet since about 2 month and will give a short feedback:
- Weight: Size M (58cm) was weighted at 925g
- Ventilation: Way better than THE the One, THE T2, TLD D2, TLD D3 or POC. Only slightly worse ventilation than on a Urge Archi-Enduro. The Airoh has better cooling on the upper Head than the Urge but worse on the cheeks pads. Having 0.5" long hair I tape the upper Ventilation openings under 10°C when downhilling what I never had to do with a ff-helmet before even when riding in -10°C.
- Craftmanship: Better as all helmets listed before. The chinguard has a very hard protector foam inside instead of the soft foam rubber often used (think of Sas-Tec foam with double hardness). Cheek pads are clipped in instead of fixed with velcro.
- Sizing: Similar to Urge and THE
- Breathability: The chin bar is fairly close to the chin (about 1.5" to 2") for me but has large openings.
- Fit: Slim fit (not the best choice for people who prefer Fox, Giro or Bell); similar fit to THE or Urge.
- Brace compatibility: As I am riding without brace I cant comment on that front (but seems to be designed to be used with a brace).
- Goggles: As I need to ride with glasses my goggles tend to be on the larger side of the spectrum.
I had no problems with both of my oakley OTG goggles (L-frame and Proven).

For Europeans: Sometimes can be bought for less than 250€ when on sale from german and austrian shops.
Thanks. I preordered a 100% but my father still wants to buy one and his head is bigger than the moon so no airoh for him.