Quantcast

Air spring in 2015 Boxxer Team

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Can you fit a new bottomless token air spring to a brand new 2015 Boxxer Team? I know you used to be able to do it a few years ago without changing the stanchion, is that still the case?

Downhill502

Chimp
Jan 11, 2013
Yes I have my 2015 boxxer team converted to air with the bottomless tokens. Kit retails around $180 usd I believe.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
You will need a new stanchion as well. The spring scratches the inside of the stanchion.

Downhill502

Chimp
Jan 11, 2013
You will need a new stanchion as well. The spring scratches the inside of the stanchion.
That would only be necessary if the rubber isolators on the spring were missing. Very simple to shine a light inside the stanchion with the coil removed to check for abrasions.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Do you work for SRAM? If not, then you're just repeating a line they use to sell a stantion and encourage people to buy a WC. Unless you've been running your spring without a cover, the micro abrasions on your stantion will cause no problems if you convert to a WC.

That said, don't convert to a WC because after having had multiple WC's and teams, the team is better.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That said, don't convert to a WC because after having had multiple WC's and teams, the team is better.
This.
Air suspension sucks dicks, stop riding it so they stop attempting to make it.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This.
But how do I win the internetz by having the lightest bike w/o air suspension? ;)
Seriously, by using both I can see advantages and disadvantages of either. Depends on what you want I guess.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Air springs are great for rental bikes, borrowed bikes or bikes that you you're too lazy to swap out springs to get the correct springrate for.

They have their place.

But definitely don't spend money on one to put it on your own personal bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This.
Ya'll bitches is on crack.

Have either of you ridden on the new WCs?

I'm with you on the old ones, I had one of each, but the new forx is differentz.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Ridden the 2015 WC! It feels like a long travel Pike (which is a very nice air fork) and light years better than the old model, but it's still no coil.

If your coil fork feels like that it needs a service. Or you need a RUX.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ridden the 2015 WC! It feels like a long travel Pike (which is a very nice air fork) and light years better than the old model, but it's still no coil.

If your coil fork feels like that it needs a service. Or you need a RUX.

After stuffing a few tokens in one it seemed pretty damn good to me. I wouldn't say it sucked dick at all. I was just making sure the two of you weren't doing a previous model extrapolation. The new ones you can actually feel what the air spring is doing at least.

Those last ones were just so bad..........so so bad *shudder*

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
That would only be necessary if the rubber isolators on the spring were missing. Very simple to shine a light inside the stanchion with the coil removed to check for abrasions.
Even with the isolators/coating the inside of the stanchion can still get small scratches. I converted a brand new 2012 team to a WC and had issues with the stock stanchion. Even with a light you won't be able to see every imperfection.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Do you work for SRAM? If not, then you're just repeating a line they use to sell a stantion and encourage people to buy a WC. Unless you've been running your spring without a cover, the micro abrasions on your stantion will cause no problems if you convert to a WC.

No, I do not work for Sram. However, I do work on bikes for a living so...

I do agree with you that the team is better. The latest iteration of air springs are a hell of a lot better than the previous generations though. My old WC would feel great right after a full rebuild/service but only for about 8 hours of riding.

Last edited:

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
You could always polish the inside of your stanchion..

Glad i read this thread though, i recently bought the 2015 team version. The coil does feel great but i kept thinking i should have gone with the WC (or Fox 40). Then I've been looking at the new air spring upgrade, you can but them on eBay for 150bucks.. My thinking was, that it would be nice to be able to fine tune the spring weight and be lighter weight as well. Think I'll just stick with the spring.

Last edited:

Myles

Chimp
Jun 20, 2002
Montréal , Canada
We bought the 2015 Boxxer Team and had our mechanic converted to a WC with the airspring. We saved $290 + taxes after the upgrade compared to a Boxxer WC. Any knowledgeable mechanics that are rebuilding Rocshox fork for quite some time will be able to perform this upgrade.

gottarex

Chimp
Nov 1, 2010
I just bought a 2015 Boxxer Team and want to swap out to the lighter yellow spring. Is this easy to do? Want to make sure I'm not going to ruin the fork when I do this. Thanks for the help guys