Quantcast

Air or Coil on Bottle rocket

Makana425

Monkey
Feb 21, 2008
Snocompton
I want to hear peoples opinions on Air or Coil on Bottle rocket.

Air is bout 2 pounds lighter but you dont get the same feel as a coil.

Special-K

Chimp
Feb 28, 2011
I run air, Fox DHX 5.0. I use the bike for all types of riding and love the shock. The frame is not light, so air def. helps keep the complete build manageable, mine is 35 pounds and built like a tank (Pimp lites, saint, DH tube, lyric.

I also love the ability to fine tune the air shock - important when the bike has only 5.5" of travel. Usually I run the shock soft in the initial stroke, and set it quite hard near the end, to give it compliance on the trail but keeping it from bottom once things get bigger.

Never once have I thought that a coil would feel better.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Having owned one and run both an air and a coil shock on it, definitely, definitely coil. Unless maybe you're pretty much just using it as a jump bike. Air shocks tend to be a little wallowy mid stroke, and the BR's leverage ratio increases substantially mid stroke. Not a good pairing.

Best shock I ran on mine, hands down, was a properly tuned Roco WC coil with a Ti spring.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks. Coil I think is always a better feel. There's really not much you can do as fine tuning a air shock.
There's loads of stuff you can do as far as fine tuning an air shock goes. It's just that the Bottle Rocket's leverage curve isn't particularly well suited to one.