Quantcast

Air Fork vs Coil

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
A silly question most likely, but is the current damper reverse compatibru with an older 36 chassis (ala Lyrik)? I have an ancient 36 RC2 with a 20mm hub stick and a straight steerer, and it would be kinda cool to throw the new damper in there if you were dead set on riding a bike with a 1.125 headtube.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
A silly question most likely, but is the current damper reverse compatibru with an older 36 chassis (ala Lyrik)? I have an ancient 36 RC2 with a 20mm hub stick and a straight steerer, and it would be kinda cool to throw the new damper in there if you were dead set on riding a bike with a 1.125 headtube.
I'm pretty sure you still can. Last time I checked was '12, but I don't think there's been a significant change since then that wouldn't allow it.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
I, for one, am waiting for our new upside-down overlords.
As much as i love XF (my fav). i couldnt bring myself to buy a revel for 1800 bones.

now, if they made it cheaper, i would be all over that ish. glad to see they are doing something with it, and that its not covered in gold.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Might be forced into the 27.5" thang.

I got quoted $1700 (WHAT IN THE F) for a new 26" Float. That is from a shop out west. A more local place told me $1400 + 13% tax.

For that money, I can probably find a 2015 used and buy a wheel set. Ugh, then I'd need tires and tubes.

:banghead:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Readin's hard

Specs & Information
  • Weight
  • 15mm/20mm axle
  • 4.19 lb / 1.9 kg

Although I like how "weight" is listed as a feature. I need a fork with weight.

As you pointed out, they list weight as a "feature", so I'm not exactly super confident about the veracity of their description. Specifically, this:

"Fox 36 FLOAT 26" 160 FIT RC2 Black 20mm 1.5"T:Where others' high-end products top out, FOX begins. Evolution Series is perfect for someone just getting into the sport, to the accomplished athlete and everything in between."

Yes, some of the models had the option of using either axle size, but if its a OEM take off, it may be only 20 mm. Wasn't sure if anybody knew if the Evolution series was only 20 mm (i.e. I don't trust the good people at Bike Bling to know the difference).

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Even if it's 20mm only as shipped, isn't the 15mm option obtained simply by slipping sleeves into the 20mm drop outs? So worst case is you source (or Buchanize) those separately.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
As you pointed out, they list weight as a "feature", so I'm not exactly super confident about the veracity of their description. Specifically, this:

"Fox 36 FLOAT 26" 160 FIT RC2 Black 20mm 1.5"T:Where others' high-end products top out, FOX begins. Evolution Series is perfect for someone just getting into the sport, to the accomplished athlete and everything in between."

Yes, some of the models had the option of using either axle size, but if its a OEM take off, it may be only 20 mm. Wasn't sure if anybody knew if the Evolution series was only 20 mm (i.e. I don't trust the good people at Bike Bling to know the difference).
Evolution series products are beneath me. I can't be seen without kashima.

That's not an evolution series fork. I think the only ones that are 20mm only are the 170 and 180 versions.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Woot, nice find! Although, if/when I finally upwheel, I wonder if this thing can be enbiggened to 160 mm? Hate to give up that 10 mm...It's important to us Scots/Irish dudes.
Based on pinkbike review/press release, the travel can be changed from internally from 130 to 160 in 10mm increments using aluminum spacers. I'm assuming they don't actually have multiple stanction/lowers for a given wheel size such that you'd be limited by buying this one which is labelled at 150mm. So basically, get it...I wanna fondle one of these.