Quantcast

aftermarket brake levers...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm going to breathe some new life into my trusty old XT755 brakes.

I have to at least replace the pivots on my stock old bent and re-bent levers as they are sloppy after years of use, so I'm thinking of "upgrading".

Anyone use the GRC, Dangerboy or newer Straitline levers for Shimano brakes? I've read the articles online, checked the respective sites, etc. I'm looking for a comparison, pros/cons, from other Monkeys. Are they worth the cost?

Thanks

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Not used on Shimano levers.....but on my 2 bikes I have one with the GRC levers and one with the stock Hayes levers.

They are shaped a little different.....a little thinner feeling but one pull and you can definately tell they are a stronger lever. Install was just like a normal lever blade.

The "only" con I can think of is now instead of bending something (as stock levers are pretty soft) something might break as the lever is really that strong. Atleast in the case of the GRC vs. Hayes levers.

Email or find Sully's email address for GRC (I think he does Rotec bikes as well). Or PM him on the boards, I can't remember what his name is but he's on here from time to time.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I run the Shorty version of the GRC levers for my Hayes Mags, and I love em'...

The ends hook around perfectly for me to do one-finger braking. Unfortunately, it seems that their website (which they used to have as part of Rotec's site) is down.

Heven't heard much from GRC in the past year so I'm not sure if they went out of business or just dropped the website.

Awesome levers though.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
The Straitline levers are pretty amazing. You'll definitely appreciate them over the others. I've tried all the levers you listed above as well and they'll all improve your experience.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
yes, I AM the master of the search function! :rolleyes: :D

Thanks. I'm going to try the Straitlines on my 755s so I can be cool like jvnixon. Shame that they don't come in a simple silver/polished finish though.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
anyone know of a shorty-type replacement lever for Shimano (Saint)? I like to one finger brake and have long fingers...

thx
-r