Quantcast

Adopted a new dog today

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Our dog passed away a little over a month ago. The house has been eerily quiet in that time. The kids have consistently asked when we're going to get another dog. Last week I made the mistake of showing my 7yr old the Petfinder app on he iPod, which of course resulted in us visiting and walking all non-violent shelter dogs in a 15 mile radius.

The end result - today I went and completed the paperwork to rescue this dirtball. He's getting clipped..... in more ways than one in the next 2 days and he'll be ready for pickup on Thursday.

11698987_1062005540495073_4028797489181917462_o.jpg

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I adopted two cockatoos in mid May from a local rescue. They're both around 10 so it's possible they'll outlive me.

Marcus, female Umbrella (the white one):

Buddy, male Sulfur Crested (on right):

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
has your house gotten any louder? my room mate has a servere mackaw, while he can be rad at times, he's usually a little fucker. still a very cool animal nonetheless.

grats OP! i live with 4 dogs and just had to put our best down. it can be hard.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^
birds.....great....but i always hated cleaning up after them.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Man... I remember when you got your last dog. How time flies. Good on you for getting a rescue!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
has your house gotten any louder? my room mate has a servere mackaw, while he can be rad at times, he's usually a little fucker. still a very cool animal nonetheless.
They can be loud but not any worse than a barking dog, especially since they're inside (so less noisy for the neighbors)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thanks everybody for the kind words. I can't wait to pick him up on Thursday. While he's not a gift for our kids, it is a surprise and they're going to FLIP!!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i forgot are you fostering them or are you going to keep them?

either way they couldn't be with a better person.

we had a parrot that would come in at a clinic i worked at in nashville that would say "i'm going to bite you" then start laughing when you were trying to trim its beak..
I'm going to keep them. I don't know if the rescue does fostering, but I didn't ask.

The vet showed me Buddy's vent and said see how much of the area around the vent is free of feathers, he's been masturbating a lot. That's not too unusual since most parrots have no sexual partners so their options are limited.

Similarly, Marcus (again, female), seems to get very excited often too and pants a lot when handled. I wasn't aware Buddy was also very horny. My other birds I've had for years don't seem to be as much on the otherhand.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friend lost her bird last year. Recently she found the bird. It landed on the next door nieghbors porch. They rescued it and now it is part of the family and actually nice. When Wendy had the bird was nasty and mean. Now it is nice and friendly and with a family. Not everyone will be honest with her and tell Wendy to let the family keep the bird. Except me.

I have offered to buy her a new bird. Her daughter has offered money also.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friend lost her bird last year. Recently she found the bird. It landed on the next door nieghbors porch. They rescued it and now it is part of the family and actually nice. When Wendy had the bird was nasty and mean. Now it is nice and friendly and with a family. Not everyone will be honest with her and tell Wendy to let the family keep the bird. Except me.

I have offered to buy her a new bird. Her daughter has offered money also.
The bird died.....