Quantcast

Adding some padding to a D3 (or any other helmet)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Just picked up a D3 but like everything else in the world, I'm sorta in between sizes. I tried a large and it just felt a little too snug and had this crazy pressure point up at the back of my head. Tried on the XL and the overall feel was nice, snug and felt like it covered my head and face nicely. BUT, I found the pads on the inside compressed a lot which made me wonder if these would permanently compress and make the helmet slosh around too much.

For reference, if I move the helmet around, the skin on my face/forehead/cheeks move with it.

Not looking to alter the sizing, or structure of the helmet by any means.

Anyone add bits of foam to key areas in a helmet?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I added some firm foam under the original padding on my 661 Evo to fill the cheeks out a little. Apparently my face isn't fat enough.

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
The M/L shells are the same. The XL/XXL one are.

FYI I got a M and removed the extra bit of foam at the rear of the liner to make it a large liner with M cheek pads.

But that doesnt help you as youre bigger trying to go smaller and I cant think of a way around that. Short of a quick dremel session on the L pressure point - they will break in though.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I could press in the pressure point in the large, but the xlarge just feels like it surrounds my head better. After trying the helmet on today again for a while and spending some time to reflect on the meaning of life, I decided I just need to beef up the foam on the upper sides of my head... since it's oval anyway.

If I had shaggy, dirty, hippy hair like most of the downhillers in Whistler I'd be ok. But I don't.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Return and buy a helmet that fits you correctly. TLD may not fit your head shape.
Now that's just silly talk. I'll just grow my hair, eat pizza everyday and smoke a bunch of weed.

Seriously, looks like it fits fine... my OCD was kicking in. Just used to lower quality helmets that have a tight fit.