Quantcast

Adapters for 6-bolt IS disc= Shimano Centerlok splined now available

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Saw in the new BRAIN that problem solvers is making a bolt on adapter that slides over the Shimano centerlok splines and bolts down allowing the mounting of std. 6-bolt IS rotors. This will let Hayes/Hopes/Magura brakes be mounted on Saint/XTR/XT/LX/Hone hubs. One more incompatibility issue solved. Between this and the fact that Shimano will be offering rapid-fire shifters for XT/Saint in '05 and a few more Saint rear hub options, is making Shimano very inter-compatible again.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
bah, who wants to buy a seperate adaptor? I'd rather buy any other hub and just use the IS bolt holes, unless of course the hubs are cheap enough and good quality to warrant using a third party adaptor.

Seeing as how Shimano isn't offering their own adaptor I'd say they aren't heading toward intercompatibility.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Which center lock size is this for though? The smaller XTR style or saint?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Zark said:
Which center lock size is this for though? The smaller XTR style or saint?
I haven't picked up the new BRAIN yet but the adapters that have been in the QBP catalog all year are for the XTR size spline.

Purely as a side note, I came up with an adapter last year for the racers running the Stan's rotors to be able to run them on XTR splined hubs and Shimano refused to let the teams use them.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Kornphlake said:
bah, who wants to buy a seperate adaptor? I'd rather buy any other hub and just use the IS bolt holes, unless of course the hubs are cheap enough and good quality to warrant using a third party adaptor.

Seeing as how Shimano isn't offering their own adaptor I'd say they aren't heading toward intercompatibility.
I see it mostly as an advantage for Saint hubs since they have the burly axle/der mount.

But usually problem solvers parts are more for people who have something and want to re-purpose it...like their canti lever adapter for V-brakes.

Sheesh! Always a critic. No matter what this product is better than no option at all.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
if everybody agreed then threads like this would end before they are started.

I like the idea, I think shimano should have offered it, I still won't go out of my way to buy a splined shimano hub though, it just gets too complicated and for the price I could buy a better quality hub. Saints and XTR are still cup and cone type right? Not that I have a problem with that, I still have an XT hub on the rear of my bike, but when it comes time to replace it I'll be looking for something a little nicer.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I just think that its funny that a company out of Taiwann known for making parts that breathe new life into everything purple ano is also making parts for something as chi-chi as Saint. :thumb: Take that, incompatibility!

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
I hope that the spline on the saint isn't so big that making an adaptor is impossible. i.e. the splines are in, or awfully close to, the rotor BCD.

I mounted a saint rear mech and axle to my RFX and all was well until I had to adjust the rapid-rise rear. It was like I'd never seen a derailleur before and I had to make the adjustments with my feet. :confused: It was that difficult.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Incubus said:
I hope that the spline on the saint isn't so big that making an adaptor is impossible. i.e. the splines are in, or awfully close to, the rotor BCD.

I mounted a saint rear mech and axle to my RFX and all was well until I had to adjust the rapid-rise rear. It was like I'd never seen a derailleur before and I had to make the adjustments with my feet. :confused: It was that difficult.
Incubus...good point! I hadn't thought about that. I know Hone will have 8" brakes with the smaller centerlok size (XTR/XT) so maybe Hone will have a 20mm hub and saint style rear thru-axle also but with smaller splines?