check for movement
neck , head injuries ........

a good pro ta call - for when it happens --- the good ones should be a stickied

This is your brain after reading posts created by a brain on drugs:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
get some basic medical training. a CPR class goes a long way and covers the basics of how to evaluate a situation. Always carry a cell phone, GPS, ID & insurance cards, and a basic first aid kit. It helps to be resourceful if you are going to be deep in the woods. If you ride where poisonous snakes are known to inhabit, CARRY A SNAKE BIT KIT!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Big hug and kisses on any open wounds.

And take a Wilderness First Aid course if you are serious.

snowaddict91

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
Gunnison, Co
Yes, WFA is neccessary IMO if you're in the outdoors often at all.
My main riding partner is an EMT and so am I, we come up on so many people on the trails that are clueless and their buddy is laying there with broken bones.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
every first aid class or program has it's own protocol, but i agree for those that don't really know, a basic set of rapid responses would be good to know.

1. check conciousness
2. check vitals (pulse, breathing, etc.) I doubt many people carry a sphygmomanometer but blood pressure is a really good tool if they're bleeding heavily.
3. check injuries, heavy bleeding, broken bones, examine neck and C-spine very carefully, WITHOUT MOVING THE GODDAM PATIENT!!!!!! especially if you saw them endo on their face or slam a tree or something.
4. using the cell phone you should be carrying, give your location to EMS by reading the GPS you so responsibly brought. give any details on the patient you can, and stay on the line with them.
5. treat life threats. THIS is where 1st aid at the minimum would be a good investment. SUPER IMPORTANT: if you don't know what you're doing, don't do anything. broken bones, you can leave those until EMS gets there. same with impaled objects, gashes, etc. don't go mcgyver medic on your buddy. If you must, treat heavy bleeding or shock by putting pressure directly on the wound, elevating the feet, and if possible covering the patient for warmth. DO NOT GIVE WATER. again, if you detect anything wrong with spine, just sit there and hold the head still with both hands. don't frickin let go once you've started, or you could do more harm.
Put together a basic first aid kit, trauma shears, pair of gloves, some bandages of various sizes, some aspirin anti-itch and various other OTC meds, and something for splinting. an ace bandage or two and a straight stick, if it's all you've got, will work.

good luck explorers!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
every first aid class or program has it's own protocol, but i agree for those that don't really know, a basic set of rapid responses would be good to know.

1. check conciousness
2. check vitals (pulse, breathing, etc.) I doubt many people carry a sphygmomanometer but blood pressure is a really good tool if they're bleeding heavily.
3. check injuries, heavy bleeding, broken bones, examine neck and C-spine very carefully, WITHOUT MOVING THE GODDAM PATIENT!!!!!! especially if you saw them endo on their face or slam a tree or something.
4. using the cell phone you should be carrying, give your location to EMS by reading the GPS you so responsibly brought. give any details on the patient you can, and stay on the line with them.
5. treat life threats. THIS is where 1st aid at the minimum would be a good investment. SUPER IMPORTANT: if you don't know what you're doing, don't do anything. broken bones, you can leave those until EMS gets there. same with impaled objects, gashes, etc. don't go mcgyver medic on your buddy. If you must, treat heavy bleeding or shock by putting pressure directly on the wound, elevating the feet, and if possible covering the patient for warmth. DO NOT GIVE WATER. again, if you detect anything wrong with spine, just sit there and hold the head still with both hands. don't frickin let go once you've started, or you could do more harm.
Put together a basic first aid kit, trauma shears, pair of gloves, some bandages of various sizes, some aspirin anti-itch and various other OTC meds, and something for splinting. an ace bandage or two and a straight stick, if it's all you've got, will work.

good luck explorers!
forgot an important one:

survey the scene first to make sure that you don't put yourself in danger in any attempt to provide someone first aid

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
goddam it, i always forgot that one in class too.

BSI scene safe, BSI scene safe, BSI scene safe, BSI scene safe....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

1. check conciousness
So step one is check consciousness? How should I do that? Flip over a prone rider onto his back and see if he is breathing?

That's why I didn't offer any FA advice. I don't want to tell someone to check the vitals without explaining how spinal immobilization is critical, because I can't explain it correctly.

My 20 hours of medical training doesn't exactly makes me an expert, and giving bad advice is almost worse than doing nothing.

For example:

Torti, Van Horn and three other co-workers from a San Fernando Valley department store had gone out to a bar on Halloween for a night of drinking and dancing, departing in two cars at 1:30 a.m., the justices noted as background.

Van Horn was a front-seat passenger in a vehicle driven by Anthony Glen Watson, whom she also sued, and Torti rode in the second car. After Watson's car crashed into a light pole at about 45 mph, the rear car pulled off the road and driver Dion Ofoegbu and Torti rushed to help Watson's two passengers escape the wreckage.

Torti testified in a deposition that she saw smoke and liquid coming from Watson's vehicle and feared the car was about to catch fire. None of the others reported seeing signs of an imminent explosion, and Van Horn said in her deposition that Torti grabbed her arm and yanked her out "like a rag doll."

Van Horn's suit alleges negligence by Torti in aggravating a vertebrae injury suffered in the crash, causing permanent damage to the spinal cord.
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec/19/local/me-good-samaritan19