Quantcast

Aaargh! Ovalized HT on my intense! :(

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I kept hearing a creaking/popping noise from around my headset over the past few rides. I just raced at massanutten and didn't notice it too much..probably because of the sound of all the rocks bouncing off of my down tube ;)

so i take my bike (2007 Uzzi VPX) apart for a good overhaul and to try and find the source of the noise but while trying to tap out the bearing race in the lower cup of my headset, the lower headset cup just falls out! i checked the cup and it looks fine but the bottom part of my headtube is all warped looking on the inside.
i suppose i'm screwed...the HT is already reamed pretty deap and i have a deep cup headset in already.

i hope i can find something relatively inexpensive soon as i had planned on taking lil manimal to snowshoe for the first time on opening weekend (and this may be our last summer living on this side of the country).

anybody have any input on a 2007 marin quake 7.3? i found an interbike display frame that hasn't been ridden for a pretty decent price. does intense have a crash replacement deal? i'd love to snag a SS2...but my budget is pretty slim :(

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I kept hearing a creaking/popping noise from around my headset over the past few rides. I just raced at massanutten and didn't notice it too much..probably because of the sound of all the rocks bouncing off of my down tube ;)

so i take my bike (2007 Uzzi VPX) apart for a good overhaul and to try and find the source of the noise but while trying to tap out the bearing race in the lower cup of my headset, the lower headset cup just falls out! i checked the cup and it looks fine but the bottom part of my headtube is all warped looking on the inside.
i suppose i'm screwed...the HT is already reamed pretty deap and i have a deep cup headset in already.

i hope i can find something relatively inexpensive soon as i had planned on taking lil manimal to snowshoe for the first time on opening weekend (and this may be our last summer living on this side of the country).

anybody have any input on a 2007 marin quake 7.3? i found an interbike display frame that hasn't been ridden for a pretty decent price. does intense have a crash replacement deal? i'd love to snag a SS2...but my budget is pretty slim :(

theres a ss2 on craigslist orange county (california) large for 8 or $900 white.
just a thought.

not mine but caught my intrest and figured if i knew someone it would be a good deal.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You should go bamboo on your next frame.

Calfee

"You can imagine the visual and functional elegance of a belt driven, internally geared bamboo bicycle with matching fenders, rosewood bottle cages, complimentary cork grips and even an integrated rack."

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Dang, noticed the 1.5 -- if not, a CK steelset or a FSA pig DH pro would be a possible solution.

I ovalized my VPFree slightly, and stuffed a Pig in there with some red loc-tite and its goooooood. I dont know if there're any deep set 1.5" cups tho.

cjm102

Chimp
Dec 27, 2009
Aus
It's a bit rough but in the past a couple of friends have used coke cans to shim the headset. Not the best option imo but it has worked.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Chris King makes an oversized headset specifically for this occurrence. Call them directly for sizing requirements. I've done it with a few bikes with no long-term issues.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yeah hopefully they will be as deep as they look.... pictures can be deceiving.

Only thing that worries me is stack height with these....... But hey, better than a new frame

Funny part...... For as by the book on repairs as I am...... Its just seems strange that I would even suggest something like this...... But hey, seen it done more than a few times now......and it could save a frame.

Last edited:

crawler7000

Chimp
Jun 9, 2010
Another vote for red loc-tite, I used it on an ovalized frame while waiting for crash replacement and it held up without creaking

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Contact Intense and see if they'll do a cheap crash replacement front end?

this,call them.

IF you are the orriginal,I beleive crash replacement can be done.

angleset worrys the hell out of me same for the pinch bolt for ovalization ishues.

mehukatti

Chimp
Mar 2, 2011
You can get Loctite that is made to take slack away from bearing installs in heavy machinery etc. This will take care of the problem.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
hmm.maybe i'll give the jbweld bit a try. i've used that stuff to fix engine blocks before and it's a good space filler. i just wasn't sure of the taboo of using that stuff on such a stressed area. i guess i can't lose anything by trying and it'll give me time to save up for a new frame ;)

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Does anyone make a deep-set 1.5"? Or, have you tried calling intense?

And since nobody else said it yet, maintain your isht. This would have cost nothing to fix had you just listened to your bike. Also, don't forget the AL can method. All you are doing is adding extra material to the HT area. As 'ghetto' as this comes across, it still works damn well.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
You can get Loctite that is made to take slack away from bearing installs in heavy machinery etc. This will take care of the problem.
Yes, it's green loctite 638. I have used it to keep bearings tight in press fit applications.

http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/henkel_us/hs.xsl/full-product-list-7932.htm?iname=Loctite+638+Retaining+Compound&countryCode=us&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=productfinder&redDotUID=0000000I04

data sheet: https://tds.us.henkel.com//NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/FB168836AB931A10882571870000D859/$File/638-EN.pdf

Just go to Grainger and ask for Green loctite for cylindrical bearing gap filling

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone make a deep-set 1.5"? Or, have you tried calling intense?

And since nobody else said it yet, maintain your isht. This would have cost nothing to fix had you just listened to your bike. Also, don't forget the AL can method. All you are doing is adding extra material to the HT area. As 'ghetto' as this comes across, it still works damn well.
i put on less than 10 miles since hearing the creak. it started as a very subtle creak and, after a very rock dh race, i wrote it off as the post-race wiggles. it wasn't until the last 3 miles of a xc ride w/ my brother that it became very noticeable.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
nicolai used to do "oversized" headsets for this kind of application
can't find it on their website though

maybe shoot them an email and ask...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i called Intense...they're checking to see if they have an old vpx front triangle for crash replacement. said they've never had a 2007 uzzi vpx in for crash replacement so they might have one :thumb:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Intense CS FTW! they had a VPX frame in the warehouse that they are going to send me. not sure on the cost yet but i'm assuming it'll be cheaper than something newer. he said that i have the first '07 uzzi vpx to get a crash replacement :thumb: :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Intense CS FTW! they had a VPX frame in the warehouse that they are going to send me. not sure on the cost yet but i'm assuming it'll be cheaper than something newer. he said that i have the first '07 uzzi vpx to get a crash replacement :thumb: :D
dear diary,

JACKPOT

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
well..got the crash replacement front end today....and it's a used prototype of the original uzzi vpx. unfortunately, the mounts for the top-tube link are different, welded below the top tube instead of through it like my busted one, so i can't attach the rear end. My LBS called and they wanted me to send them a pic of my frame and the replacement frame so they can try to match something up...but it's not looking very promising. :(

my damaged frame on the right..the old prototype i got today on the left. the mount is too narrow on the proto frame

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
the headtube is about 1/2" shorter as well which will screw up my geo....i'd rather just pay more and get a SS2 frame instead.....$350 for a used, 6 year old prototype front triangle seems a bit steep.