Quantcast

A River Runs Through It... at Tiger Mountain.

BBTCJON

Chimp
Jun 7, 2005
Seeing some of the damage that has been caused at quite a few local trails (Middle Fork, Skookum, etc) from the recent flooding we've had, I can only imagine what Tiger looks like right now. Forget a nearby river cresting its banks and washing out sections of trail... Tiger is a river to begin with - who knows what's left!:brow:

In the spirit of taking care of what we use, perhaps you'll wantt o join us for a work party on Sunday November 26th at Tiger Mountain. This work party will take place up at Preston from 9am to 4pm and will focus on finding spots with standing or running water on the trail... which shouldn't be too dificult! The goal is to reshape the tread to direct the water off. Again, here we are fulfilling a commitment with the DNR. Our hope is that with enough work, we’ll be able to keep the trails at Tiger open year round within the next couple years… but we’ll need your help. More information on this work party can be viewed here.

We need to fill these work parties up in order to fulfill agreements with local land managers. This is a very effective means of advocacy and is a good way for you to show your support for local trails. We hope to see you out there.

For More information, please contact BBTC Volunteer Director Jon Kennedy at jon@bbtc.org.

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
you could not mean Preston RR?!?! Keeping single track @ Tiger Mtn "Open Year 'Round" is ridiculous. How many people would actually RIDE the trails up there November thru March & more than once? I don't care how much work is put in to substantially improving drainage, building bridges, adding rock, retainer walls, etc., there, its still gonna be a major raging river all over the place during the wet season. realistically, just doing major trail maint. to keep up w/ all the blowdown & normal trail erosion there is asking enough from users. especially when there are other more popular trails less prone to severe damage.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
you could not mean Preston RR?!?! Keeping single track @ Tiger Mtn "Open Year 'Round" is ridiculous. How many people would actually RIDE the trails up there November thru March & more than once? I don't care how much work is put in to substantially improving drainage, building bridges, adding rock, retainer walls, etc., there, its still gonna be a major raging river all over the place during the wet season. realistically, just doing major trail maint. to keep up w/ all the blowdown & normal trail erosion there is asking enough from users. especially when there are other more popular trails less prone to severe damage.
Actually i don't ride there that many times myself, but everytime i go i see tons of mt. bikers. i ride at other multi-user trails and never see anyone except for the group i'm with and hikers. Uncommon on most of the unknown trails to run into other bikers. In contrast there is hardly EVER a time you don't see other mt. bikers on Tiger, that place is so popular.

Believe it or not i'd probably ride up there more than once in the winter. For the same reasons it's already popular. It's got some pretty fun singletrack that even pro riders enjoy, mainly because it's so close to the city. And because it never really rains like it's doing in this record month. And for a few weeks to a month it would kind of closed anyways from snow, but man i love riding in fresh snow so fun.... and i like gravity which Tiger has got a little of. So to me i don't find it ridiculous at all.

You're right about many other trails being less prone to damage compared to Preston. But we're talking about Department of Natural Resources land (DNR). What other more popular trails on DNR land are you talking about. What other popular trails in general are you talking about? Fact is there is hardly ANY legit "normal" or "unnormal" trails on city, state, or federal lands open for mt. bikes near Seattle.

Why is that? Do you know the history of mt. biking around here?

The one thing about it i know for sure is that Tiger Mt. is only open because of the work that get's done there. BBTC is the only group i know that does any work there that keeps it open. The truth to be told about 10 years ago mt. bikers were viewed by everyone as scum. Tiger and Preston were the scraps left over for us while countless other trails got closed to us. But riders and the club have embraced it by working there, and riding the hell out of the trails there. Hoping we get a few more bones thrown at us, like maybe better access or new trails, or in this case access in the winter.

So after all these years of dealing with the b.s., now your saying we should just walk away from Preston it's not worth it? If you think of advocacy like baseball getting Preston open in winter is like getting a single. Sure it's not a homerun, but you gotta get people on base to score. What is your vision of a homerun? A legal freeride trail in the hills up the I-90 corridor? It's gotta happen eventually, but you gotta have the big sluggers up to bat to get it to happen. In other words everyone reading this: you need to get your lazy ass off the couch and move rock on Preston.:biggrin:

Because it's all related, it's all the same game. So many years of striking out, nowadays if we all get on the same page stuff will be so killer for us in the future.

ridetilludie

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
Renton
Ya I guess keeping trails open makes no sense:bonk: . Let's close em all. Get a clue. The trails on Tiger as a whole are in much better shape than they were 15+ years ago. This is mainly due to mtn. bikers (bbtc). As far as severe damage sounds like it could be fun to ride.
Don't get me wrong I like it when it's closed too, less peeps.:biggrin:

ridetilludie

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
Renton
Actually i don't ride there that many times myself, but everytime i go i see tons of mt. bikers. i ride at other multi-user trails and never see anyone except for the group i'm with and hikers. Uncommon on most of the unknown trails to run into other bikers. In contrast there is hardly EVER a time you don't see other mt. bikers on Tiger, that place is so popular.

Believe it or not i'd probably ride up there more than once in the winter. For the same reasons it's already popular. It's got some pretty fun singletrack that even pro riders enjoy, mainly because it's so close to the city. And because it never really rains like it's doing in this record month. And for a few weeks to a month it would kind of closed anyways from snow, but man i love riding in fresh snow so fun.... and i like gravity which Tiger has got a little of. So to me i don't find it ridiculous at all.

You're right about many other trails being less prone to damage compared to Preston. But we're talking about Department of Natural Resources land (DNR). What other more popular trails on DNR land are you talking about. What other popular trails in general are you talking about? Fact is there is hardly ANY legit "normal" or "unnormal" trails on city, state, or federal lands open for mt. bikes near Seattle.

Why is that? Do you know the history of mt. biking around here?

The one thing about it i know for sure is that Tiger Mt. is only open because of the work that get's done there. BBTC is the only group i know that does any work there that keeps it open. The truth to be told about 10 years ago mt. bikers were viewed by everyone as scum. Tiger and Preston were the scraps left over for us while countless other trails got closed to us. But riders and the club have embraced it by working there, and riding the hell out of the trails there. Hoping we get a few more bones thrown at us, like maybe better access or new trails, or in this case access in the winter.

So after all these years of dealing with the b.s., now your saying we should just walk away from Preston it's not worth it? If you think of advocacy like baseball getting Preston open in winter is like getting a single. Sure it's not a homerun, but you gotta get people on base to score. What is your vision of a homerun? A legal freeride trail in the hills up the I-90 corridor? It's gotta happen eventually, but you gotta have the big sluggers up to bat to get it to happen. In other words everyone reading this: you need to get your lazy ass off the couch and move rock on Preston.:biggrin:

Because it's all related, it's all the same game. So many years of striking out, nowadays if we all get on the same page stuff will be so killer for us in the future.
Well said:cheers:

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
all you PC guys posts are just total naive BS. as for singletrack, i still say more of the actual T Mtn users (INCLUDING HIKERS) would rather it stayed closed Oct thru March like it is now. besides you can still ride up them main roads & then bomb back down - I love the startled wide-eyed look on those idiots not being "heads up" when you come sliding around the corners, blasting down @ 40 mph. hey besides if you really have to get your singletack fix just poach the trails early AM or after dark w/ your light system. all my buds agree that is the coolest time to ride the Iverson anyway
RIDE ON

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
all you guys know what you're talking about while i'm just total naive grom. as for singletrack, i still say more of the actual T Mtn users (INCLUDING HIKERS) would rather say uhhh duh duh duh uhhhhhh duh. besides you can still ride up them main roads & then bomb back down - I'll love the startled wide-eyed look on my face when i round a corner and slam into a BBTC work truck, blasting down @ 40 mph. hey besides if you really have to get your singletack fix just poach the eggs and choke on the chorizo man, early AM is a great time for waffles. all my buds and my doggie agree that brushing and flossing help prevent tooth decay.
RETARD!
Well thought out post, but please don't strain so hard next time.

FatalExposure

Monkey
Sep 2, 2005
all you PC guys posts are just total naive BS. as for singletrack, i still say more of the actual T Mtn users (INCLUDING HIKERS) would rather it stayed closed Oct thru March like it is now. besides you can still ride up them main roads & then bomb back down - I love the startled wide-eyed look on those idiots not being "heads up" when you come sliding around the corners, blasting down @ 40 mph. hey besides if you really have to get your singletack fix just poach the trails early AM or after dark w/ your light system. all my buds agree that is the coolest time to ride the Iverson anyway
RIDE ON
You like hearing yourself talk don't ya? This is what you sound like to me:

"Blah-blah-blah-blah-I'm so much cooler than everyone else-Yadda-Yadda-Yada-Me and my bros are so bad a$$ (in our own small world)-Yada_yada_Yada I will shout my OPINION like it is a fact, because I am on the internet"

Get over yourself.

flyboy

Chimp
Jun 18, 2004
Kirkland, WA
RIDE ON
I and my boys would ride Tiger year round, AND would help if needed to keep it open. Is there another trail that is as close as Tiger, and gives one the burn, if they chose? We race that trail up, and down - the road is a joke. 40 MPH - any monkey can do that on a road. Stand back 'cause here it comes: Poaching is not cool - it's acts like that which cause the rest of us to try that much harder to progress our sport.

RubberSideUp

Chimp
Jan 20, 2005
Here
Damn, I thought this thread was going to be about building a trail as cool as Whistler's "River runs through it" at Tiger.

For what it's worth trail maintenance IS cool no matter what some dumb A$$hole has to say. Without out it you don't ride. Pretty simple.