Quantcast

A New Bike? From Sinister? (a photo?)

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
kidwoo said:
Looks like a stretched out piece of gum actuating the shock link.
actually it was really hot and the linkage was dripping :devil:

word from the Sinister folk is that that particular bit will be replaced with a turnbuckle setup so as you can adjust the ride height....I'm sure Bill will be along sometime soon to fill in the blanks, because after 4 days of going up and down that mountain I'm mostly blank...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
high bb, short chainstays.......can someone explain how the suspension works on that frame though?

Is this their 5" trail bike prototype?

damn - too bad you didn't get some close up shots.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMcG said:
high bb, short chainstays.......can someone explain how the suspension works on that frame though?

See that thin piece of metal between the shock link on top and the swingarm? As the swingarm moves, it pulls the piece of metal down which actuates the shock link.

Kind of a silly design if you ask me.. Can't for the life of me figure out why they'd do it except for looks??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
binary visions said:
See that thin piece of metal between the shock link on top and the swingarm? As the swingarm moves, it pulls the piece of metal down which actuates the shock link.

Kind of a silly design if you ask me.. Can't for the life of me figure out why they'd do it except for looks??

Seems kind of complicated to me - not sure what the benefit would be for that type of design - but hell - for all we know it could be a very early prototype or something :think:

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
MMcG said:

It's like the Evil Empire linkage... reverse-moto linkage? something of that nature...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMcG said:
Seems kind of complicated to me - not sure what the benefit would be for that type of design - but hell - for all we know it could be a very early prototype or something :think:
I just can't see any benifit... Swingarm path is going to be the exact same as a single pivot. It's not like it put the shock particularly low in the frame to achieve a low CoG. Progressiveness could be achieved through a standard swing link.

And as if that wasn't enough, it even interrupts the seat tube, waaay up top. On a bike that's clearly not a DH rig, that can be a pain in the butt.

It sure looks cool, though :D

Edit: Missed the comment about ride height.. that could be interesting.

Regardless, thanks for the spy shot! You got an assistant ghost to hold the bikes when you take pictures of 'em?? ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
syadasti said:
Benefits look to be full length seat tube and adjustable geometry...
No full length seattube - look at that upper swing link. Right through the seat tube.

There are easier ways to adjust geometry...

Ahh well. Internet speculation based on a who-knows-what-stage-in-development frame that's not even available yet :p

Just throwing around my 2 cents!

crashnscar

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Mt. View, CA
Bolts up top wouldnt have to go through seat tube.....
they could have little threaded pieces of metal welded
to the seat tube like Kona has done on some of their frames.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
binary visions said:
Ahh well. Internet speculation based on a who-knows-what-stage-in-development frame that's not even available yet :p

Off night for riding for me so I have nothing better to do than speculate.

New shock bushings for my Belair were installed this week - my rear end is stiff again! New drivetrain too! I'm ready for Dalton Baby!

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
binary visions said:
No full length seattube - look at that upper swing link. Right through the seat tube.

There are easier ways to adjust geometry...

as far as i know, its VERY early in the design stage -- frank pretty much built that prototype 2 days before the nationals at Snow, so the frame itself is very new but he's been working the suspension design for a while -- like, years. so i imagine things will get tweaked and perfected as the Sinister guys ride the piss out of it. i'm looking forward to the shorter travel (3.5 - 4") soooo much :love:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mumbles said:
as far as i know, its VERY early in the design stage -- frank pretty much built that prototype 2 days before the nationals at Snow, so the frame itself is very new but he's been working the suspension design for a while -- like, years. so i imagine things will get tweaked and perfected as the Sinister guys ride the piss out of it. i'm looking forward to the shorter travel (3.5 - 4") soooo much :love:
3.5 -4"??

latest I heard was a 5" trail bike and a 7" fr bike....is the 3.5-4 incher an add on?

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
MMcG said:
3.5 -4"??

latest I heard was a 5" trail bike and a 7" fr bike....is the 3.5-4 incher an add on?
i dont know for sure -- what i've heard from credible sources is a 3.5-4" short and a 6" long version, so it may just have been bumped down. i bet we'll find out soon though!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mumbles said:
i dont know for sure -- what i've heard from credible sources is a 3.5-4" short and a 6" long version, so it may just have been bumped down. i bet we'll find out soon though!

All in there around the same ranges - can't wait to see final product!

Ridge_Rider

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
East Coast
Official Press Release:

FTW and the rest Sinister of the crew have been busy the last few months pumping out bikes - but the innovation process is still running full steam ahead. Mt Snow's NORBA was the place to be to get a sneak peak at what we've been up to. The new suspension bike, which has yet to be named, was on display this past weekend. The bike pictured below is a glimpse of what is yet to come this fall.

The exact details are still in the works, but the new bike will utilize our new suspension platform, which will be available in two models: an all-day light weight trail/XC bike and a longer travel heavy duty Mountain-X/Freeride version (which can be seen above). Keep checking the site for updates and photos as they become available.

As for the questions on the linkage and how it was concieved, FTW will be online soon to answer all of them.

Ridge_Rider

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
East Coast
Hi, this is FTW, The bike in the photo is a prototype I have been working on for some months. The bike itself was fabricated in 92 hours. The basic concept in play is to attach all the suspension components to the seat tube and make it a burly one. In doing so I can select all the other tubes by the the riding forces, not so much suspension forces. In other words I can use a butted tube without fear of the shock punching through the down tube or top tube (seen that a few times haven't we?). Also moving the mass toward the center of the bike results in less unsprung weight and less effort to get the thing going a different direction. (mass centralization) I suppose it would be called a "linkage supported single pivot" design. I have the frame of mind these days that most wheel paths are an arc anyway so placing a bearing in the center of the arc is both elegant, simple and effective and there is no unseen weird forces going on that may not expose themselves for months.
We have spoken about building two bikes from this basic design. the first is touched on here, a mountaincross, light DH machine with through axle and MX inspired geometry. the second would be a all day machine with XC race heritage available in different sizes and seat tube lengths. The major components will likely be interchangable. We have many, many hours of testing and evolution before we get to a final product so speculation at this point is welcomed but we still are not sure how it will evolve ourselves . We hope to have some test machines in the near future and unless the bike is being prepared for a race may be available for your evaluation and input. Now, to answer some questions.
Why a new Sinister? I want a new bike for myself that kicks a@@ in the woods, and won't knock my fillings out and is worthy of the new light, long suspension shocks/forks available. I want the bike to weigh around 30 lbs. I also want for the Sinister customers/ team to win at super D and mountain cross events so these two should nail it.

Is it flexy? I just walked over to where it's parked, grabbed the seat and rear wheel and twisted pretty hard.. it seems pretty stiff to me.. for a proto it's really stiff.. cool!

whats it weigh? the first proto weighs 35 lbs. I used burly Ridge tubes and DH wheels so I am extremly pleased with that figure.

How does it ride? I don't know.. I messed up the shock leverage when I realized that I put the cable stop in the way of linkage and had to do some emergency fabrication, I ended up with going the wrong way and lost the "nut".. (you should have seen me stuffing this thing into the DoAll (bandsaw) at 7:30 friday night) I was going fix it and try to ride it this weekend but I think I may just go ride my R9, my fingers still hurt from the crazy hours last week.

Available when? I want to have a big pile of demo's for interbike. I am not beyond tossing this in the trash if it's isn't awsome, the comp is tough in this catagory and I am not willing to just coast back in the smoking section.. we will keep you posted and thanks for challanging me to impress you.. F

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Whoa! Cool bike. 8) That thing would look great with a DRS on it. ;)

I like the design, too - similar to Weagle's "reverse moto link" from B.I.T.D. I guess great minds think alike!

--JP

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Woah - how cool is that - straight from FTW's mouth (or in this case Ridge Riders keyboard).

Gotta love the Monkey and the people in the industry who post here.

Awesome!!!

A whole new full suspension frame in 92 hours - friggin amazing!

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Riff Raff, The US is a big place. Lot of other places to ride other then Big Bear. You should try it sometime. :) Really though I've started a new biz and it's pretty crazy right now. When it settles down a bit I'll be back up there. (This is what I'm up to. www.sweetperformance.com )
Have you ridden PV now that you live close?

Sorry 'bout the highjack guys.