Quantcast

A**hole Lawyer suing b/c he cant ride.

Jamsoul

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
tha boot
When are people going to take accountabaility for their actions. Moutain biking is not the safest sport out there. The fact of the matter is that you get hurt in mountain biking. Dont sue and make things bad for everyone b/c you lacked the skill to negotioate a trail. Stick to riding road the chances of crashing are a bit less...hmmm but there are cars. ;)

http://www.nsmb.com/shore_news/beardwinter_04_05.php

:stupid:

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I do not know what is wrong with people.....why cant people admit that riding a MTB is a calculated risk and they decide themselves. May he be hated by everybody around him.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Then along came James Leone, 31, a Torontonian who, last Aug. 1, was on a trail that bikers grade as "easiest" when, according to documents filed in court, "suddenly and without warning his bicycle came to an abrupt stop" and he was thrown forward, "striking the ground with sudden and violent force."

LOL!!! It would be funnier if it wasn't so sad...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
sanjuro said:
Then along came James Leone, 31, a Torontonian who, last Aug. 1, was on a trail that bikers grade as "easiest" when, according to documents filed in court, "suddenly and without warning his bicycle came to an abrupt stop" and he was thrown forward, "striking the ground with sudden and violent force."

LOL!!! It would be funnier if it wasn't so sad...
Yeah... I can hear him in court now... "But your honor, I was Just Riding Along!..."

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
It will be dismissed.

Did they even need to mentio this? :

"Mr. Leone is part of the firm's personal injury and insurance litigation group. "

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
When the **** are politicians in america going to put a stop to all these get rich quick mo****ers. Not only do they sue over everything, they ask for ungodly amounts of money and always get it.

They ruined skateboarding and now theyre after biking

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
thesacrifice said:
When the **** are politicians in america going to put a stop to all these get rich quick mo****ers. Not only do they sue over everything, they ask for ungodly amounts of money and always get it.

They ruined skateboarding and now theyre after biking

This case is in Canada. But I still agree with you.

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
I wonder if it's possible for riders to file a class action lawsuit against someone like this if we can prove a lose of quality of life as a result of riding spots being shut down due to these types of lawsuits? I would love to counter sue a**holes like this since litigation seems to be the only thing these people understand.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
ricebowls said:
I wonder if it's possible for riders to file a class action lawsuit against someone like this if we can prove a lose of quality of life as a result of riding spots being shut down due to these types of lawsuits? I would love to counter sue a**holes like this since litigation seems to be the only thing these people understand.
:stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
wow. i'm down for class action if you guys are.

do you guys think it will be dismissed b/c of it being in canada or b/c it's ludicrous? could crap like this NOT be dismissed if it was in the states? that's unbelievable either way.

based on his logic, he should sue anything and everything if something doesn't go how he sees fit.

"your honor, i proceeded to checkout stand 8 because i thought it would be faster. lane 6 ended up being faster and caused me to stand in line for 3 minutes longer. 3 minutes is worth $$4.48 of my time. i would like sally, the checkout clerk and safeway, the grocery store to pay me for lost time and pay my wife for the grief of me not being home on time."

is he really for real? i can't believe it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
©2001 said:
"your honor, i proceeded to checkout stand 8 because i thought it would be faster. lane 6 ended up being faster and caused me to stand in line for 3 minutes longer. 3 minutes is worth $$4.48 of my time. i would like sally, the checkout clerk and safeway, the grocery store to pay me for lost time and pay my wife for the grief of me not being home on time."

Whoa. Thanks for the idea. You just helped me finance my next bike.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
ricebowls said:
But then couldn't the lawyer counter-counter-sue us for taking his money away, and having to sell his crappy '95 Audi with fake-chrome wheels from Pep Boys, thus reducing HIS (estimated) quality of life as well?

Or I wonder if we can press charges based on this guy making the rest of us look like we still watch Ninja Turtles? Radical?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Jamsoul said:
When are people going to take accountabaility for their actions.
Never. As long as there is a possibility of recovery, some people will try to work it. I don't think it's true that they "almost always" win, but sadly even the threat of litigation is enough to scare a lot of people into playing it safe. And "safe" means not letting people ride their bikes on their land.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
why is it that everytime one of these threads comes up people start posting all kind of hurtful things to the people involved?...you need to stop b!tching, get of your @rse, and change the laws...become active in your government...until then you have no one to blame but yourselves...D

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
BMXman said:
why is it that everytime one of these threads comes up people start posting all kind of hurtful things to the people involved?...you need to stop b!tching, get of your @rse, and change the laws...become active in your government...until then you have no one to blame but yourselves...D
Exactly, frivolous lawsuits are destroying our country, and what makes me REALLY angry is that none of the politicians are doing anything about it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
WheelieMan said:
Exactly, frivolous lawsuits are destroying our country, and what makes me REALLY angry is that none of the politicians are doing anything about it.
Most politicians are lawyers. Any wonder why they don't do anything about it? Not only that but you should know by now that the politicians do exactly what their financial backers tell them to do. Sadly, the only real way to enact change is to get involved. Run for a seat on your city council, attend the meetings, don't just vote, but vote and then send letters telling the politicians WHY you are or are not voting for them. Find out who the PACS are and who finances them or what industry they represent and then boycott that industry or business, and write letters and tell them why you are boycotting them. Join or form a PAC and go to washington. Send e-mails to your local judges and tell them you want this to stop. And of course... when faced with an opportunity to sue, don't.

These are just my thoughts. Your milage may vary.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I dunno about you guys, but I sent the dude an e-mail asking him to reconsider the legal actions he is taking. Maybe you guys could do the same.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
BMXman said:
why is it that everytime one of these threads comes up people start posting all kind of hurtful things to the people involved?

Because they are tryng to make a quick buck by hurting our sport.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Ok so the dude broke a vertebrea. That's not good, but the article definitely didn't mention anything about any long term injuries or paralysis. If this guy really is suing because he wants to make a quick buck, which my uninformed self thinks he is, then he is a deuch satchel and a half. Now since he's in Canada, doesn't he get really good, really cheap (Free?) health care? He is a well known lawyer, so he most likely has some sort of insurance. Therefore I think he is suing just because he wants to make a quick buck. That is not cool and shall he drown in a vat of boilling peanut butter!

vwmtnbiker

Monkey
May 15, 2004
manasscrack
we need an island that we can deport scum like this to....when its filled blow it up...then find another island....preferably one covered in molten lava and inhabited by all sortsa nasty viruses and beasties...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
chicodude01 said:
Because they are tryng to make a quick buck by hurting our sport.
well don't just quote half of what I wrote....so how does complaing about it solve anything???....D

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Complaining isn't what I would call it. It's more of a feeling of anger that someone is trying to screw the whole scene over.

Holy crap....I a freakin' tired.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This reminds of a story about Adirondacks in NY. During the winter, some Manhattanites decided a nice hike would be a good idea. Without any special gear like warm coats or compasses, they proceed a few miles in, get lost, and require helicopter extraction. Naturally, they sue the park.

I was sure the park would be closed, but the judge threw it out. I hope the same occurs in this case.

P.S. I noticed there was no picture for Mr. Leone on the beardwinters.com website. Did they take it down?

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
remember good old Faith No More
"it's always funny until someone gets hurt
and then it's just hilarious"

this must be the kid whose glasses we always crushed on the playground, remember?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
dwaugh said:
Just what I was thinking... why did it take so long for someone to say that? How can you not see a hole, especially a really big one, right in front of you???? :think:
I don't even think he really hit a hole as you or I would think of it, he probably just hit a divot in the ground or something small enough most of us wouldn't even notice it. These trails sound pretty well known and frequently ridden, and I don't think a hole around a blind corner or something would go unfixed for long. He could easily have done something stupid himself like not tighten his front wheel properly, or simply have ridden into a log or a rock. I seriously doubt how he crashed was anyone's fault besides his own.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Mr. Leone, was your bike equipped with a suspension fork?

"Of course; I take all possible precautions."

So, in other words, you were expecting to find the track uneven and perhaps covered with obstructions and/or imperfections? You plan, in fact, on encountering them?

"ummm, not like this one! This one was really big!"

So, if it was so large, you did not see it?

"ummm, no, I was riding quickly..."

Do you ascribe to the idea that you shouldn't ride more quickly than you can observe the terrain ahead?

"well, ummm...."

Are you aware that on average, this trail is ridden by 50 users per day, some of the age of 10 years or under, and in the course of this time, not one other has had an accident in the same place you have?

"I'm not a statistician..."

Right, you're a mountain biker. Would you agree that the very definition of mountain biking is riding a bicycle over rough and uneven terrain, often in remote locations?

"yes, but I have a right to safe trails!"

So you're preoccupied with safety?

"Of course!"

Did you inspect the course before riding it, if you're so concerned with safety?

"Of course not; that's ludicrous!"

But you're preoccupied with safety, are you not?

etc. etc.

MD