Quantcast

a cry for help from the MP3 monkeys

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
I know, I have fallen off the face of the earth, but work's firewall doesnt allow me to that of the :monkey:, so work has been on the productive side. to top it off, I'm getting married in a month and a week, but that's the least of the worries- we're trying to put together a CD of favorte songs and songe from the wedding, but obviously itunes (yes, I'm a mac geek without an Ipod) doesnt allow you to burn anything other then their silly protected aac files.

so, the question: where do I get about 15 mp3's for little/no cost? MP3's are fine, AVI files (i think that's what's on a commerically bought cd) would be better.

I'm sorts a retro grouch and a audiophile, so clearly I didnt get around to the ipod thing...yet.

any help would be nice. I have a list of the songs that I need if that'd help.

thanks.

slowsser (ethan), proud member of ridemonkey team "where are they now and who focking cares"

btw- what the h e double hockeysticks happened to my post count? did I get docked for not being here?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
If you are asking how to steal them I know many ways but don't think I'm allowed to tell you because RM is like mother russia.

If you are going to pay I recommend downloading iTunes and buying them through that. I think they are at $.99 per song still, but it sounds like that will be changing soon.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
dfinn said:
If you are asking how to steal them I know many ways but don't think I'm allowed to tell you because RM is like mother russia.

If you are going to pay I recommend downloading iTunes and buying them through that. I think they are at $.99 per song still, but it sounds like that will be changing soon.

no- NOT stealing- want to purchase them legally, but want to burn them to a cd that will play in a cd player....if anyone owns those anymore....

i have itunes. it works fine. i just need to move stuff to a cd.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
even if you do buy the songs legally off itunes, it will probably still be illegal to distribute the songs on CDs at your wedding.
good point. heck- can i invite the feds now to the wedding? I'd rather have a :monkey: contingent crash the gig.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
RaID said:
cant you buy the songs you want of an internet store like iTunes Store or Napster or other online music stores?

(note im a user of the afore mentioned Soulseek hence no real experience in buying music online)
yes and no. you can purcahse them for use on your confuser and on your Ipoddity. but they're protected, so, no, you cant put them on a CD for use in your car or in the office.

but like I mentioned above- does anyone actually do that anymore? its a dying breed- everyone in my office seems to come in, turn on the coffee maker and plug the mp3 player into the computer.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'm no legal expert but I'm pretty sure that once you purchase them you are free to do what you want with them as long as it doesn't include distributing them to other people. I've never heard anyone else say it's illegal to burn songs from iTunes onto a CD to listen to in your vehicle or office. If that were the case I don't think iTunes would have support built in to burn songs onto a CD.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
dfinn said:
I'm no legal expert but I'm pretty sure that once you purchase them you are free to do what you want with them as long as it doesn't include distributing them to other people. I've never heard anyone else say it's illegal to burn songs from iTunes onto a CD to listen to in your vehicle or office. If that were the case I don't think iTunes would have support built in to burn songs onto a CD.
Don't tell Apple that...them and Sony, der Gestapo of music...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dfinn said:
Actually, in some countries that is illegal. Not the U.S. though.

SlowSSer, what about paying for a one month membership to Napster?

To be blunt, distributing the songs on CD is just as illegal as downloading them for free in the first place. I'm not sure I'd bother to draw the line there.

If it were me and I actually cared about obtaining them legally, I might visit my local used CD shop to see if I could score the CDs for little money. Possibly sell them back when you're done.