Quantcast

888 spring question

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
Just got my 2005 888 installed on my bike and got ready to swap the springs for a pair of green ones that I bought. These apparently are supposed to be firm(?).

The stock springs were silver, and I assumed they were "mediums", but now the green ones feel softer than the stock ones and I've even got max pre load on them(?).

I also replaced the stock oil with 7 wt. Belray and added 225mls to each leg?

Am I high?? Does anyone know the color code for these springs? I'm having a helluva time finding decent parts/tech info...

Or is this a damping issue?

Thanks!

JF

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
red = 2,7kg/cm
black (stock) = 3,1kg/cm
green = 3,4kg/cm

hard to tell the green from black sometimes, esp when dirty so check that youre installing the right spring.

btw, as you can see, the differences arent big between the springs so maybe you need to switch springs on both sides if you havent done so already.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
How much do you weigh? I got a noticeable difference adding just one green spring to my stock 888 and I am ~200 lbs.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
Okay - sounds like I'll go with what I've got. The stock springs were silver (no paint whatsoever). The one's I installed are clearly green, so I'll play with the oil height and damping...

nuclear 674

Monkey
Aug 12, 2005
ahead of you!!!
on my 888vf i ended up with the green springs in each leg and the max oil level, using ten weight instead of seven. This took care of the issue of being to soft all the way through the travel. Still plush on top, and progressively stiffer through the rest of the travel. I dont know if this will help you, hopefully it does.