Quantcast

80's music making a comeback?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
The old trend was the rehashing of 70's style rock, but lately it seems that 80's is coming back. There's tons of these new bands that sound like the Cure, Devo, The Smiths....

If your into it check these guys out, here's a few

Bloc Part
The Bravery
Communique
The Killers

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
80's bands like The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, New Order... were all great.

I hope the fun girl bands make a comeback as well. I miss the Flirts and The Go-Go's et al.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
80's music sucked so bad the first time around. Looks like I'll have to put my fingers in my ears for another decade.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Zark said:
80's music sucked so bad the first time around. Looks like I'll have to put my finger in my ears for another decade.
Ehh, I kinda like it. It's just stupid fun friday night dance kinda music, the girls love it.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Zark said:
80's music sucked so bad the first time around. Looks like I'll have to put my fingers in my ears for another decade.
Depends what kind of music you listened to...but I do admit that I was extremely happy when the crappy hair metal bands went away.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Kevin said:
Bring back the seventies.
80s music sucks balls.
where you been latley. All the bands of recent are 70's rock rehash. Crap sometimes it's hard to tell the diff between white strips and Zeplin (sometimes! please don't get all bent over that statement Zep fans).

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Joe Pozer said:
Depends what kind of music you listened to...but I do admit that I was extremely happy when the crappy hair metal bands went away.
Very true. Actually some of the hair bands were a relief from the onslaught of Pet Shop Boys/Depeche Mode/Morrison/They Might Be Giants, etc. :dead: All of which send me into a kill-crazy rampage to destroy whatever device thats broadcasting them.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
ncrider said:
Ehh, I kinda like it. It's just stupid fun friday night dance kinda music, the girls love it.
Word. Same on this end of the country as well.

At school, this 80s cover band comes about twice a year. Hundreds show up each time. Ladies love it because they can dance.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Zark said:
speed metal! :devil:

one of the few good things to come out of the 80's.

F the mainstream. :mumble:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
JRogers said:
Word. Same on this end of the country as well.

At school, this 80s cover band comes about twice a year. Hundreds show up each time. Ladies love it because they can dance.
Hell yeah. IN SD we got this thing called "80's Heat." It's an 80's night a this club and everybody dresse up. Soooo much fun, the girls get outa control.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Zark said:
Very true. Actually some of the hair bands were a relief from the onslaught of Pet Shop Boys/Depeche Mode/Morrison/They Might Be Giants , etc. :dead: All of which send me into a kill-crazy rampage to destroy whatever device thats broadcasting them.
Oh come ON now...that song...something about a bee in your bonnet...that was FANTASTIC...

HAHAHAHA! Goddamn I think that had to be the GAYEST song EVER....

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
The Descendents
The Cramps (Started in the 70's but released most of their albums during the 80's)
U2
Black Flag
The Pogues
Dead Kennedys
TSOL
Mojo Nixon
REM
Red Hot Chili Peppers

and like PNJ said, ther was some good speed metal that came out of the 80's.

Yeah, the 80's really sucked. :rolleyes: No matter what the era there is always someone who never really listened to the non commercial stuff that will tell you that ALL music from said era sucked. Get over yourselves.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Yeah, I enjoy the 80's tunes, but at least it's fun to listen to, instead of what's popular today. Ever listen to the radio? Every other song is someone bitching how sad they are. Hell, sometimes I can be in a great mood and feel like slitting my wrists after listening to that.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Nate at RIT said:
Yeah, I enjoy the 80's tunes, but at least it's fun to listen to, instead of what's popular today. Ever listen to the radio? Every other song is someone bitching how sad they are. Hell, sometimes I can be in a great mood and feel like slitting my wrists after listening to that.
See, that's why I never liked Morrisey. Too depressing. And to quote a bumper sticker: "Depression is just anger without the enthusiasm!"

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I love the 80's music.

Archers of Loaf
The Cure
Culture Club... :D
Daft Punk
Joy Division
Fugazi
the list goes on....

Lots of great music.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
From a metal standpoint, Cliff Burton should have survived the bus crash and James, Lars, and Kirk should have died.

80's were great.

Minutemen
Replacements
Husker Du
Hard Ons
Smiths
Meat Puppets
Sonic Youth
Camper Van Beethoven
Bad Brains
Black Flag
Butthole Surfers
Jesus And Mary Chain
Das Damen
Screaming Trees
Mudhoney
Soundgarden
REM

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Oh come ON now...that song...something about a bee in your bonnet...that was FANTASTIC...

HAHAHAHA! Goddamn I think that had to be the GAYEST song EVER....
Wrong - one of the BEST, c**t. :thumb:

J

JRB

stevew said:
From a metal standpoint, Cliff Burton should have survived the bus crash and James, Lars, and Kirk should have died.

80's were great.

Minutemen
Replacements
Husker Du
Hard Ons
Smiths
Meat Puppets
Sonic Youth
Camper Van Beethoven
Bad Brains
Black Flag
Butthole Surfers
Jesus And Mary Chain
Das Damen
Screaming Trees
Mudhoney
Soundgarden
REM

Good tunes by them all. Mack even has a decent list, minus Culture Club. I guess he likes Wham, too.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Ciaran said:
See, that's why I never liked Morrisey. Too depressing.
You clearly don't truly listen to Morrisey. It's not all depression. The lyrics are half smart ass remarks and even when it sounds down, the guitar is usaully super upbeat.

Anyway for me the 80's is all about punk rock. My first love in music...
Black Flag
Minor Threat
Adolescents
Exploited
Bad Religion (yes Kids they Started in the Late 70's not 2004)
Instigator
Social Distortion
The Ramones
Crass
Misfits

And yes Punk is dead. stuff like that will never come back...never. Punk has tranformed in to bands like Alkaline trio and Blink 182 (I like both), while good, it certainly isn't Minor Threat "screaming at a wall" or Black Flag "Wasted" That stuff is timeless.

Back to the modern 80's revival. It's good fun I say.
:blah:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ncrider said:
You clearly don't truly listen to Morrisey. It's not all depression. The lyrics are half smart ass remarks and even when it sounds down, the guitar is usaully super upbeat.

Anyway for me the 80's is all about punk rock. My first love in music...
Black Flag
Minor Threat
Adolescents
Exploited
Bad Religion (yes Kids they Started in the Late 70's not 2004)
Instigator
Social Distortion
The Ramones
Crass
Misfits

And yes Punk is dead. stuff like that will never come back...never. Punk has tranformed in to bands like Alkaline trio and Blink 182 (I like both), while good, it certainly isn't Minor Threat "screaming at a wall" or Black Flag "Wasted" That stuff is timeless.

Back to the modern 80's revival. It's good fun I say.
:blah:
You are right! I never really listened to Morrisey! Had I really listened I might have appreciated it more. The guitar I have appreciated, though. (I play guitar and therefore understand why something can be considered "good" even though the masses don't dig it) Mainly what I heard I found very depressing. But that is from someone who was not a Morrisey fan, and therefore didn't get all that ol Steve was trying to say. Again I quote Social Distortion: "Just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good!"

But...
The Adolescents
The Minutemen
The Exploited
The Detours (extra props if you have even heard of them!)
Minor Threat
and my fave...
DAG NASTY!!!!!!!

A ton of great punk came out of the 80's (And that is not even mentioning most of them!)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hey Ciaran - if you like the minor threat/dag nasty axis, be sure to check out:

happy go licky
embrace
rites of spring
gray matter

all great bands which share a lot of the same members

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
pretty funny really... a few months ago i introduced one of my old workmates (he s about 24 or 25) to the pixies... he immediately labelled it as sounding 'too much like 80s music'... which it is i guess, but tell me that some of their stuff doesn t stand up against todays music...

i shook my head in disbelief and told him to go on listening to his collection of 'jam bands'... any of you people heard this 'jam band' stuff ???? what cr@p... i d rather listen to madonna doing anthrax covers...

'keller' can lick my donkey....

ba baba bababa ba do do ching cha ching cha chang... <--- thats my impersonation of keller... JAM BANDS DIE !!!!!!