Quantcast

7000ft down in less than than 8 miles. steepest trail known to me... yet.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
steep, with a capital S. full of stairs and loose babyheads.
thats in meters, btw. its epicness is hard to describe in words or pictures...

shuttle bus, riding up

last few hairpins on the way up

ready to go

dropping the hammer

my brave and crazy friend with a open helmet

this picture shows how steep the whole trail is

and very technical

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
is land pricey in the mountains there?

do honkies get kidnapped?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
is land pricey in the mountains there?

do honkies get kidnapped?
not really. its really cheap. the issue is finding someone in the community willing to sell you (an stranger) some land.

the highlands (and those goatpaths) are property of native quechua people, who have been living up in the mountains for ages.
its not very easy to buy some land, unless you marry a local girl and plan on farming the land or use it raise goats/sheep/cattle.

if any rm-ers ever want to come down this side of the world, i´ll gladly take you for a bike ride up there.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
What's the name of that one, Alexis? I don't recognize the valleys...
Its Casta 2.

Its a new-ish trail. It was discovered by mountain bikers quite a few years ago... but it was so rocky and steep, that it was way too hardcore for the non-downhill bikes of that time.

a couple years ago, with the super slack dh bikes, people started trying the trail again.
with the new long travel trail bikes, even enduro riders are trying it now.

its, hands down, the toughest trail near lima.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Aha. I had heard about that trail a teeny bit from Giovanni, (guide) but he hadn't ridden it at the time.
Damn, I need to get back!
We have more restaurants to hit!

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Aha. I had heard about that trail a teeny bit from Giovanni, (guide) but he hadn't ridden it at the time.
Damn, I need to get back!
We have more restaurants to hit!
sure!, let me know when you are coming.

there has been some interesting discoveries lately.
there is a new trail (kinda like olleros, from the highlands to the sea) about 120 miles south of lima. Its called Chavin.
I havent ridden it yet. Few people have, but those who do, say its longer/better than Olleros.
There is another one, on the way up to Huaraz. And another in Cajamarca, called Porcon, which is the most awesome bike-specific trail in Peru.

Near Lima, the most recent discoveries are Santa Ana, Lahuaytambo, Quipan (which is the old Huamantanga, now starting even higher), there is one in Cuzco starting in the highlands and ending in the jungle.

I guesstimate, there should exist at least 50 trails like Olleros in all of Peru; since such roads are old/ancient trade paths between the highlands and the coast.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
That is alpine priapism right there. Love to see the rest of it if you get a chance to post it up. Be a bad ass Enduro track methinks, even if its just a bunch of washed up, talentless hacks.

EDIT - I think its rad that you guys are still "discovering" unbelievable trails. Way cool.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I looked into it quite seriously about 7 years ago. Even got into talks with the Peruvian military about if it were possible, how much per operating hour, etc.
however, the logistical problems were just WAAAAY to complex to really entertain it at any realistic level.
At that time, I could *maybe* find fifty people a year that could commit, I truly would have needed hundreds to even make the project fly at a TOTAL LOSS.
Peru was still only a~ few ~ years away from random terrorism devastating the country, unregulated random Helis flying about?
Yeah, right.
Forget about any routes in the cocolero (coca leaf growing) regions, US military still patrol those skies with eradication programs.
Things may have changed a teeny bit, but I doubt by much.
There also is basically no infrastructure of birds with that capacity besides mining/military.
Incredibly difficult proposition.
That being said, I would be willing to reach out to some of my contacts now to see if it is feasible if I could guarantee a group of twelve at basically full retail. There are a few zones that would be safe and possible, but they would quickly become controversial to the local indigenous populations, IMO.

Alexis, your thoughts?

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Are there any heli-bike companies operating out there? If not, is there a market for one?
a few months ago, the best-known bike tour guide in the country was looking into doing heli-shuttles.
he found there are at least 2 heli companies willing and capable. one company has a fleet of 4-ton cargo/20+ people helicopter for hire.

thing is, i doubt there is, a market for that. you are talking $1000-$2000 per person per day.

our regular shuttling costs are about $50-$60 per run per person.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Moar awesome. Seems like you'd have to feather the stoppers quite a bit or risk carrying too much speed and taking the short cut to the bottom. You on your Scott?
yup.
thats me on my trusty Scott genius lt20, replacing my old scott gambler.

thats my 3rd or 4th big shuttle since I bought the Genius LT.
I run it with 40% sag, in the low position. in this setup is perfect for this trail.

only issue I have, is I have broken 3 spokes on 3 rides. Need a more burly wheelset with some 2ply downhill tire for this trail.