Quantcast

68 seat angle to slack for pedalling?

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
I think so b/c it will put your wieght pretty far back which will lighten or raise your front wheel on steep climbs. At least that has been my experience.

firevsh2o

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
My Yeti AS-X has that slack angle too and I don't like it at climbs. I have a straight seatpost and the saddle railed forward but it doesn't help that much. I would go for something steeper...

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
test ride it, sometimes the seat tube is further forward than normal, but slack so when it is at the proper pedaling height it will be in the correct spot.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
My Yeti AS-X has that slack angle too and I don't like it at climbs. I have a straight seatpost and the saddle railed forward but it doesn't help that much. I would go for something steeper...
I trail ride my ASX all the time. It works great for me, but I'll admit that when I sat on a road bike with a normal seat tube angle it was like "holy crap, I can get a lot more power this way".

Anyway, you will get used to the seat tube angle. I run a 65mm stem on my ASX and I take it up steep climbs all the time. When it gets REAL steep, I push. I think the seat tube is the best compromise between pedalling and DH. It works. If you have to have just one bike, 68* is perfect.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
rbx,
normally I would say yes...68 for me is too slack to be comfortable on long steep sustained climbs.
However, with this frame and many newer frames the seat tube angle listed does not give an accurate assumption of where your body will actually be positioned when you put the seat up for climbing.
The Knolly delerium T is a great example of this to an extreme.
That bike has something like a 62 degree seat angle. At first this seems REALLY slack, but when the seat is extended for climbing it puts the rider is just the right spot.

One way to figure this out is make a drawing like I have put below. I know it is pretty geeked out with drawing and stuff, but it really will give you a better idea about where the seat really will be!

What I have shown is the actual seat angle and the effective seat angle. The actual is really slack on this bike. However, the effective (taken by marking the seat and drawing a line through the BB to the ground) seat angle is much steeper and indicates that the rider position may not be as layed back as the listed seat angle suggests!

I say, in this case you really must go ride this thing to know for sure.
That is always better than guessing or making geeked out charts :cheers:

Hope that helps.

BTW, that bike looks pretty cool!