Quantcast

6" forks

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
What 6" forks have regular QR dropouts? I think older Marzocchi's do, but I'm not sure. If they do, approximately much do the older Marzocchi's weigh?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The only one I can think of is a 2001 Jr T.

It feels like ass when you start going faster, it wouldn't be my first choice.

There aren't going to be many forks that long, especially single crown forks (because they are not nearly as stiff and need something to reinforce them) that are 20mm. A 20mm or larger hub kind of goes hand in hand with long travel, when you have a single crown fork it's absolutely critical.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
BurlySurly said:
A Stratos MX6 has regular dropouts in some cases.
yeah, that's right. I had both for mine. Only about 8lbs too for a 6" fork....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
nicklin said:
the zzyzzx or what ever, later known as the ATZ Tearax(sp?) had a fork 6-7 inches for qr. so did hanebrink, i believe.
:nope: :p

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
the manitou nixon has 140mm almost 6inches and it has the option of 20mm or qr and its single crown, and drop off triple is 6" and has qr dropouts, but its dual crown, and the 04 Jr T with 7 inches is QR.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
stratguy1618 said:
the manitou nixon has 140mm almost 6inches and it has the option of 20mm or qr and its single crown
Could someone tell me about the differences between the Nixon Platinum, Super Plus, Super, Elite, and Comp?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Tully said:
Can you lower the travel on a 2002 Jr T?
I don't know if you can but I do know a lot of pinkbike and nsmb kids are trying to sell off their jrT2's. 5 in travel oem marzochi fork built for one of Norco's bikes in 2002.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
nicklin said:
oh yeah, now that you mention it, they did. good thinking
Now that I'm thinking about it.. I can't find the issue, but I could have sworn that Flow did a review of the RM Switch and they said the 6" Breakout had a QR...

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
nicklin said:
oh yeah, now that you mention it, they did. good thinking
No, the 03 Sherman Slider was only available with 20mm through axle. And also, some OEM 03 breakouts came with qr dropouts. One example is the fork that came on the rocky mountain switch.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Ok, here it is!
I've got a '04 Drop-Off triple 6". It came with std. qr and felt really flexy at the wheel, even with a ringle' D axle. I switched lowers to '04 z1 qr20 lowers, noticeable differance. Today I rode with a guy who had a stock Drop-Off triple. Checking flex back to back, the 20 mm is much stiffer. With the front wheel between your knees holding the bars you could make the tire touch the lowers on the 6" qr fork.
So don't get a 6" qr fork. Get a 20mm and a new wheel. It's worth it. ;)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Pretty sure you can drop a 02 Jr T travel by using longer topout and shorter main springs like most/all SSV forks...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
WheelieMan said:
No, the 03 Sherman Slider was only available with 20mm through axle. And also, some OEM 03 breakouts came with qr dropouts. One example is the fork that came on the rocky mountain switch.
I'm pretty sure NSMB did a review on a QR version of the 2003 Sherman Slider.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
binary visions said:
Now that I'm thinking about it.. I can't find the issue, but I could have sworn that Flow did a review of the RM Switch and they said the 6" Breakout had a QR...
I found that old flow and it was a review of an 03 RM switch LTD and it doesnt say so but I'm sure (from the pics) that the sherman breakout 1.5 on the front of the bike is a hex axle
________
Laguna Heights Condos Pattaya

Last edited: